SF solution: Vince Carter?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Iwatas, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Iwatas

Iwatas Blazers Fan

As I posted in another thread...

Vince Carter is 32 years old, and makes $15 million a year, and for the next 4. The Nets have to consider him a heck of a long-term liability. They are not going to make the playoffs, and he is not going up in value.

Are they cheap enough to swap Raef + Trout for Vince? The deal works.
    http://tinyurl.com/arq53t . It gives them back a young, athletic, exciting (though often boneheaded) Trout, and saves them heap big money.

I would *definitely* be stoked with this deal.

I like Trout, but the dude still has no IQ, and it hurts. Vince could be the guy who leads at the SF role while Batum/Web grow up. It would make us contenders THIS YEAR.

What do others think?

iWatas

2. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

If he's good for another four years, I say do it. He seems healthy, and he brings the kind of experience and extra scoring punch that we need. I was hoping to be able to go after Kobe this offseason, but now that the Miles thing didn't work out, I'm thinking that's a big no-go.

3. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

I have a problem with committing $15 million/per for four more years to a guy who just turned 32 and who has a lot of miles on his legs. When Carter's game starts to deteriorate, I think it will be in a rather rapid fashion. That's a lot of $$$ to tie up in the guy. In terms of his current game, he'd be a great fit, but the contract implications and the need to re-sign so many good players over the next 2-3 years would make me pass on the deal.

4. TradeNurkicNow

TradeNurkicNow Resident OT Section Crank

No, no, no, no, no. Did I mention no? Because I mean NO.

5. Natebishop3

But we're going to be way over the cap in 2010 anyway. What's another 15 million to PA? Unless you think there's someone we can get this offseason as a free agent, I don't see the point in letting RLEC go to waste. Adding Carter could be the punch we need this season and maybe next. At least give guys like Batum a little bit more time to develop.

The Milwaukee Bucks paired up an aging Oscar Robertson with a young Lew Alcindor and won a championship. I believe he retired that summer. I'm just wondering if we added some aging star to this core, could it put us over the top?

6. alex42083

alex42083 Thanks Brandon

Writing about sports
    I'm not a big VC fan either. The guy's good days are long gone, and the franchise has always talked about if they were to trade, it'd have to be a guy that fits the timeframe, ie a 26-28 year old.

I think he'd command the ball way too much over Roy, LMA and Greg, he doesn't play great D, and wouldn't seem to fit in with our chemistry. And with that contract, yuck. And he coasts too much in and out of games.

7. hasoos

hasoos Well-Known Member

I would just like to know what you folks are expecting to get out of a trade, especially a trade where no player of exceptional value is sent out, and you get a VC quality player in return. Yes he gets paid a lot over the next few years. But in this league, good players get paid, and those that aren't don't. Yes he might not be as good in the latter years of his contract. Thats the way it is in the NBA as players get older.

But my guess is, VC 3 years from now is still better than any of the small forwards we have now. That would be what I call an upgrade.

8. Natebishop3

Exactly, and who cares about the money?

9. elcap15

elcap15 I slap you

VC is a good player, but he is never the solution.

10. Iwatas

Iwatas Blazers Fan

I think VC is precisely the kind of aging star this team could use.

VC is on the downside of his career, but posting all-star numbers. With less wear and tear on his body, he'll be able to play for 3-4 more years for sure, and he has a *lot* of skills. His veteran savvy would be a huge asset, and he is not a player who is going to complain about playing for a winning team, or playing 20-24 minutes a game instead of 45.

I really think the team could contend this year if he was a Blazer instead of Travis. He is an undeniable offensive threat who passes the ball well, and makes his teammates better.

Where is the gaping hole in:

Blake
    Roy
    Vince
    LMA
    Oden

?

And with our bench, this team could absolutely devastate opponents.

iWatas

11. hasoos

hasoos Well-Known Member

After you replace Blake with Bayless, there is no hole. :pimp::ghoti:

12. Iwatas

Iwatas Blazers Fan

I hope Batum will be better (esp. for his defense). But there is no question that Vince would be a huge upgrade at the SF spot.

iWatas

13. alex42083

alex42083 Thanks Brandon

Writing about sports
    Would Vince suddenly accept a role where he isn't the first, second or maybe third option sometimes? That's my big question since he's been 'the man' his entire career.

14. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I'd love to add VC to this team... if the price is right. And by right I mean "low", like RLEC and draft pick(s).

Ed O.

15. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

He's definitely the second option in New Jersey now behind Harris and seems to have accepted it just fine ... as for falling to 3rd (4th) it's hard to say if he'd be fine with it -- and saying yes or no would be pure speculation on anybody's part.

16. Natebishop3

You would hope that he would realize that he's getting older and this would be his best shot at winning a title.

17. hasoos

hasoos Well-Known Member

I don't think there would be any problem with it, he would be starting, and that is probably what would be important. Vince hasn't been a top tier guy for a few years now, and I am sure he knows it. He is starting to get to the point where he just wants to win a ring, and that will be his motivation factor.

18. drexlersdad

drexlersdad SABAS

vc would make us contenders this year. he is a top player still, and his contract is only guaranteed for 2 more years after this one. he is worth the money, and would instantly shore up our weakest position.

if this is doable, we need to do it, period.

19. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

Absolutely, that would be the hope ... but I'm sure you would know better than anybody that stars sometimes have egos, and even when the skills fade that "need" to be the man can be tough to overcome ... not to say that this is the case with Carter, it's just something that makes me wonder, but wouldn't prevent me from pulling the trigger on a deal to get him.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  20. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

It's not necessarily 2010 I'm concerned about with Carter, although even then his game may be rapidly declining. It's 2011 and 2012, when I view him to be not worth that contract, yet his contract will become an obstacle to improve his position. It would be a tough call for me, though at the end I'd decline if I were KP.

It has nothing to do with VC's game right now, though. He'd be a huge upgrade even for this year and may be the reason for a series win or even two in the play-offs.