Tyreke Evans

Discussion in 'Out of Bounds' started by Fouled Out, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Fouled Out

Fouled Out BBW Member

He's featured on the cover of the current issue of Dime Magazine. Supposedly he's the next big high school star, just finished his sophomore year in Pennsylvania. Avearged 25.4 points, 8.8 boards, 5.4 dimes, and 3.8 steals.A picture:[​IMG]On a side note, you can subscribe to a year of Dime for three bucks right now at www.dimemag.com. My subscription was 81 cents, I'll give three guesses as to when that special ran...

2. Opal

Opal Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fouled Out @ Jun 25 2006, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>He's featured on the cover of the current issue of Dime Magazine. Supposedly he's the next big high school star, just finished his sophomore year in Pennsylvania. Avearged 25.4 points, 8.8 boards, 5.4 dimes, and 3.8 steals.A picture:[​IMG]On a side note, you can subscribe to a year of Dime for three bucks right now at www.dimemag.com. My subscription was 81 cents, I'll give three guesses as to when that special ran...</div>When Kobe scored 81. :boxin: Anyways, I would kind of like to learn more about him. What position does he play, what HS does he go to, etc.

3. Zards

Zards The People's Champ

Another hyped HS superstar...eh.

4. DRob-50-Forever

DRob-50-Forever BBW Elite Member

He's a combo guard.

5. Fouled Out

Fouled Out BBW Member

Here's an excerpt of the article:<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Outside of Chester and Philly, though, there?s a good chance even a die-hard basketball fan wouldn?t recognize Tyreke Evans by name or face. That?s about to change, as the hype begins to catch up to Tyreke?s game. As a sophomore at American Christian School in Aston, Pa., the combo guard averaged 25.4 points, 8.8 rebounds, 5.3 assists and 3.8 steals a game, knocking down 48 percent of his three-pointers and 80 percent of his free throws. But Tyreke was often overshadowed on the Pennsylvania prep scene by Class of ?06 seniors Wayne Ellington and Gerald Henderson of Merion?s Episcopal Academy, who are headed to North Carolina and Duke in the fall, respectively. Evans is the centerpiece of battles engaged by college recruiters (he says UNC, Villanova, UConn, Memphis and Louisville top his list), sneaker and apparel companies, and hopeful hangers-on trying to catch the gravy train in its early stages. ?[Evans] is as good as I?ve seen at his age, any time, anywhere, and that includes LeBron James,? says Howard Garfinkel, who runs the famous Five-Star Camp.Tyreke has LeBron?s number in his phone book. The two prodigies ? one past, one present ? met after a Sixers/Cavaliers game not long ago and keep in touch regularly. ?He?s a good person,? Tyreke says of LeBron. ?He?s someone I look up to. He gives me good advice on stuff he went through when he was my age. ?This summer will be a long and important one for Tyreke Evans. Literally the morning after American Christian?s final game of the season, he was in the gym to begin his off-season workout program. Between this AAU tournament and that prestigious camp, Tyreke will in total travel to California, Las Vegas, Nashville, New Jersey, Ohio, Houston, Portland, Indianapolis, Virginia and Pittsburgh to play ball this summer. Check the resume to this point: In Tyreke?s first varsity game, the seventh-grader dropped 27 points against a team led by Luol Deng. He had a 49-point outing last season against Hargrave (Va.) Military Academy, a prep school with six D-I recruits on its roster. At the Prime Time Shootout in New Jersey last winter, Tyreke had to be hustled into hotel suites after games to avoid the autograph hounds. And then there was now-storied summer league game in ?05 when he went head-to-head with Chester?s own Jameer Nelson and gave Jameer 30-plus. ?All of Chester came out for that one. After that game, everyone was like, ?Tyreke is a pro; he?s a pro,?? older brother Reggie Evans says.Tyreke learned the game from his four older brothers: Doc, Reggie, Dion and Eric ?Pooh? Evans, a former standout at Chester High School who played at Division II Cheyney (Pa.) University.?We had him learning to use his left hand, tying his right hand behind his back with duct tape,? Reggie remembers. ?Believe it or not, he was four years old and making free throws from the regular free throw line.?By the time Tyreke was 10, the blueprint had evolved from simple dreams and aspirations into an all-out, forward-thinking business plan. Reggie, a 33-year-old phone company employee, tells the story of when his youngest sibling played organized football in elementary school: ?I came to the house, and my mom tells me Tyreke got picked up by the football coach and he was playing football,? Reggie remembers. ?So I go down to the field, and it?s crowded with people. I see Tyreke, and he?s running down the field like Randall Cunningham. He scores a touchdown, and on the next play, these four kids are diving at him low, at his knees. He?s still jumping over them like they?re tire hurdles. But right then I went to his coach and told him, ?He?s done. He can?t play this game.? He could have jeopardized his basketball career. ?Tyreke didn?t understand why at the time, but we talked about it about a year ago, and he said, ?You took football away from me, but I?m glad you did. I can?t see myself being a football player,?? Reggie continues. ?And he was a hell of a football player, too. He could throw the ball damn near a block. But basketball was obviously his sport, his first love.?</div>

6. CelticBalla32

CelticBalla32 Basketball is back in Boston

Speaking of HS stars - what's with OJ Mayo? I heard he hit a girl and was suspended from school for like 180 days, but is he going to the NBDL after HS or whatever? What's going on with him because I have heard "next LeBron" about him. Surely, that's not true, but he must have some spectacular skill.

7. Zards

Zards The People's Champ

Is Mayo even a SR in HS?

8. Fouled Out

Fouled Out BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zards @ Jun 26 2006, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Is Mayo even a SR in HS?</div>He will be next year, along with fellow HS All-American Bill Walker. They were both held back in the seventh grade, so both will be nineteen when going to college (which will be Kansas State if you believe Bob Huggins)...