Ravens sign Ed Reed to extension

Discussion in 'NFL General' started by pistonz4life, Jun 29, 2006.

1. pistonz4life

pistonz4life BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>OWINGS MILLS, Md. (June 27, 2006) -- Baltimore Ravens safety Ed Reed agreed to terms on a six-year extension. Reed was entering the final year of his original contract. The agreement ended off-and-on talks that began last season. "Ed is one of the bright young stars in the NFL," Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said. "He's already had outstanding production, including his MVP season in 2004. He's an emerging leader on our defense, and to the whole team for that matter. The way he works, the way he prepares, speaks volumes to his teammates." Drafted out of Miami by the Ravens in the first round of the 2002 draft, Reed quickly became one of the league's most dynamic playmakers on defense. He was named Defensive Player of the Year in 2004 and selected to the Pro Bowl in 2003 and 2004. In 2004, he led the league with nine interceptions and set an NFL record with 358 yards on interception returns. During his four years with Baltimore, Reed has totaled 307 tackles, knocked away 61 passes and picked off a team-record 22 passes. He has also blocked four punts, returning three for touchdowns. Despite missing six games last season with a high ankle sprain, Reed was a first alternate to the Pro Bowl.</div>Ed Reed is the best safety in the league in my opinion. Baltimore found themselves a gem and it looks like he'll be a Raven for a while longer.

2. KMart?

KMart? BBW Elite Member

Good move by Baltimore. The guy is money, and we all know it. Their defense with Ray Lewis and Ed Reed will again be solid this year

3. valo35

valo35 BBW VIP

This is a good move by Baltimore signing Ed Reed to an extension. I think you can make a good case for Reed being the best safety in the league, he is atleast on the same level as Polamalu from Pittsburgh. I am just worried, they have alot of money sent into their defense, between Mcalister, Reed, Lewis, Rolle, Suggs, and the rest of the team. I think it's time to start letting players go, especially Ray Lewis who has lost a step, doesn't patrol the field as well anymore from that middle linebacker spot, and seems to get hurt alot these days. Bart Scott proved he was a more than worthy middle linebacker, that does not get hurt, and patrols the field better than Lewis does these days.

4. primetime

primetime Get Your Popcorn ready again

What are you talking bout? We are VERY good in our cap right now. Also if we released Ray Lewis, not only would their be riots in BAL, but we'd lose leadership. Ray Lewis is still the best MLB in the game, regardless of what anyone says because he impacts the game just by being on the field more then anyone other then maybe Peyton Manning. I've said this before, but put Ray Lewis on even the worst defense, and they'll be a top 10 defense by the end of the season. He is a very valuable leader, and with a line to protect him now, he shouldnt be so injury plagued.

5. valo35

valo35 BBW VIP

Maybe you just need to take reading lessons, but I didn't say your not good in the cap, all i said was that you have alot of money tied into your defense. Which by the way, the Ravens do have alot of money tied into their defense. As for Lewis being the best middle linebacker in the game, i competely disagree. For one he can't stay healthy, this is what, two or three years running he has gotten hurt and missed significant time during the season. He doesn't move sideline to sideline well anymore, that was proved when he was healthy and on the field last year. The Ravens moved back to that 4-3 defense to maximize the effectiveness of Ray Lewis on the field and have him patrolling more of the field. Unfortunately he is slower, and just can't move as well anymore, and it really didn't help the defense very much. I could make a good case for why Urlacher, Thomas, and Vilma are all better than him right now.

6. CB4allstar

CB4allstar BBW Global Mod Team

Ed Reed is the best Safety, or close to it in the League. The guy has greayt lateral quickness when he's defending the pass, and when he intercepts it, he will get somewhere because of how fast the man is. He is a good tackler, he put players on their ass if they get near him. He is great at intercepting obviously, and also help defense..

7. OSUBucksfan09

OSUBucksfan09 BBW Member

Not suprised, he is a tremendous athlete and he gives the energy to the ravens Defense that they need.