Sources: Monta Ellis unhappy with the Warriors

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by AlleyOop, Mar 6, 2009.

1. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

Man. If these sources are legit, then... What a shame. When Monta first busted out, I wrote a post about how, more than anything, I hoped he could maintain his innocent, quiet, hard-working ways. I wrote that I hoped Baron Davis didn't have a negative influence on him. Monta was such a shy, quiet, sincere kid -- it just seemed to me that those qualities were almost his biggest assets, because it made him who he was on the court.

Then the $$ hit him. And when he got that contract, I wrote that I hoped it wouldn't go to his head. The big dollars. The bright lights. The new cars and the shiny bling.

I know every NBA player has to deal with it, but for Monta -- who came from such a near-poverty situation in Jackson Mississippi -- it seemed it would be a much more difficult challenge. To keep that youthful, innocent spirit.

Well, if it's true that Monta is showing up late to practice, shunning huddles, and voicing his wishes to be traded while on the court during a game... I just don't know what to say.

I understand that ownership has handled this moped thing pretty sloppily with the whole "double jeopardy" (or whatever it's called) contract voiding thing.

But that's beside the point. It shouldn't really matter. Being a professional and class act isn't about how you are treated; it's about how you carry yourself.

And if Monta is acting like a whiny little brat, well, I am truly disappointed, because that behavior is a shame to his hometown in Mississippi and all the people who couldn't even dream of having what he has.

*Note: for a definition of NBA class act professional, see..... Andris Biedrins. Not only that, Andris has maintained that youthful, innocent joy of the game. I can't imagine Andris' situation turning out any better than it has. He is just an absolute blessing to this franchise. I couldn't even imagine Andris asking to be traded on the court, or skipping practice... I don't think his Latvian parents would let him, to be honest :)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  2. WarriorFan

WarriorFan Active Member

I thinkwe all knew this was going to end up happening and the blame falls squarely on Rowell, and of course Monta for getting on the damn moped in the first place but Rowell really handled it wrong.

I say trade him before this gets out of hand. Combo guards are certainly replaceable and he'll still has plenty of value this offseason. Get a 4 or a real PG. Hell, I've pretty much come to accept that Beli can play point in the half court so if they can get a prototypical 2 I'm fine with that.

Hopefully Monta continues to say the right things so that he doesn't kill his trade value like stars tend to do (Amare, Marion)

3. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    Warriors' management committing the big stoopid again. Please, Cohan, sell the team.

Here's the problem with trading Monta. Then we'll have Jamal Crawford as our starting two and backup point guard for years to come. Keeping Ellis is key even if we land a stud PG like Ricky Rubio.

4. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    IF the rumors pan out to be true, I don't want Monta on the Warriors.

We have plenty of others that can fill his shoes. Maybe not in spectacular fashion, but I think we have options. Marco, Morrow, and Azubuike all can fill the scoring void in various ways. Those are the guys to look after, IMO.

If Crawford opts out, well, that'll be nice. I wish Monta had Jamal's attitude though.

5. WarriorFan

WarriorFan Active Member

I think his attitude had been excellent until Rowell insisted on this double jeopary crap. Even now, if the reports are true, he's handling it as well as I could hope for.

6. Doctor Kajita

Finance
    You're right, but then again, IF the reports are true, then Monta is handling is unprofessionally regardless of what Rowell did.

To tell you the truth, if I were Cohan/Rowell, I would hang the contract void over his head too. While that might prove to be detrimental to Monta's attitude towards the team, it's a smart business move.

The Warriors signed him to that contract understanding he would be the same player that improved every year that showcased explosive moves to the basket and a consistent mid-range shot. They expected this from Day 1 of training camp. None of it happened. I'd be pissed.

Two good moves Rowell has made during his rocky tenure as the big honcho: denying Baron Davis' extension and holding Monta accountable.

7. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    And you think what Rowell and the Warriors are doing is fair? HELL NO!

The best stituation we can have is a Mexican standoff, where each party backs off with their guns drawn.

EDIT: I believe one fights to the death over what the Warriors are trying to do. If they wanted to void the contract, then that's what they should have done in lieu of the 30 days.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  8. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    It looks like Jamal is being asked to opt out too.

9. AlleyOop

You do know that the main source for that rumor is your buddy Tim Kawakami, right?

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/

I haven't seen any other source on it, although RealGM says there are two sources, so I'd like to know the other.

Frankly, I would love it. But it doesn't make too much sense. Crawford's guaranteed a good salary. And why, after chasing Al Harrnigton out of town, would Nelson then turn around and do the same thing to the guy he got back? Still, it would be great, and makes perfect sense. It's similar to the JRich trade. Basically, in nellie's system, most guards will get a bunch of points. You had JRich making $10 mils, and you had Azibuike who could do the same production for pennies.

Here, you have Crawford making $10 mils, and you have Azibuike who could do the same production for pennies. That statement holds true for Maggette, too. Can 'em both and use Morrow/Belly/Azibuike instead. Trade for expiring contract or starting PG. I know, it'll never happen.

10. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

psshhh, Nelson can want him to opt out all he wants, but Jamal would be an idiot to opt out of $20 million right now. I don't see it happening at all

11. Doctor Kajita

Finance
    Business isn't fair. What Monta did to himself wasn't fair to the fans and the organization.

Don't get me wrong, I think Rowell is horrible. I'm just stating the obvious.

12. Doctor Kajita

Finance
    I agree. It would seem like a pipe dream. In this economy, people except the Warriors are being very careful with their money. This includes Jamal and this includes teams that won't sign him to a lucrative deal (lucrative = better than what he has now).

13. AlleyOop

There's no excuse for acting like a baby.

14. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    Fisher's expiring, Puke, pick, and/or filler. :O

;]

15. WarriorFan

WarriorFan Active Member

I actually wouldn't mind a deal with the Lakers. Something like Monta + filler for Odom + pick

16. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    The way Odom has stepped up after Drew got injured, I doubt LA wants to let him go. I think they'll let Ariza walk off into the sunset before Odom leaves (unless he asks for 15 million dollars a year for some ridiculous length). If we're discussing this Ellis trade, obviously Odom signed with us again in the off-season, and if so, he's just too good of an insurance policy to let go.

17. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    Ugh... Can I take it back? Wishful thinking I guess

18. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    I don't blame Monta one bit for acting the way he is with this hanging over him. He did not complain about losing thirty days pay and would have accepted that. He would have accepted his contract being voided if it came to that. But to have to accept both is UNACCEPTABLE. The Warriors are clearly in the wrong on this. Likely, it will go to the courts to decide. If it's going to be between the player's association and the owners, then I see the players walking out over this.

19. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    LOL. It was Kawakami. It doesn't make sense for Crawford to opt out, so how else does one explain it.

20. Legacy

Legacy Beast

January 14, 2009 (via San Franciso Chronicle)

Monta Ellis on his future:

"Listen, whatever it is about me leaving, wanting to go, I don't want to play for Nellie—that never came from my mouth," Ellis said Tuesday.

"I don't know where they got that from, but I'm here for the next six years. I'm a Warrior. I'm going to always be a Warrior. Whoever put that out there did it because they wanted a story.

"I'm making it known right now that I'm a Warrior," Ellis added. "I love playing for Nellie, and I never said (otherwise), not one time. So you don't have to worry about that. [...] only thing I'm worried about is getting back on the basketball court."

March 6, 2009

Golden State Warriors' guard Monta Ellis has missed the past few games because of ankle stiffness and family issues, or say he says. Reports on Friday are that Ellis is unhappy with the team and is seeking to find a way out of the Bay Area.

Ellis signed a six-year contract during the offseason which will earn him up to 66 million dollars.

After he signed the contract, he went against it and rode a moped in which he crashed and suffered an ankle injury. He was suspened for 30 games and lost three million dollars off his contract.

Not only did that injury and suspension cost him over half of the season, but it cost the Warriors a chance at qualifying for the playoffs.

Ellis returned about two months ago, but has not been with the team for the past week. He is supposedly taking the time to rest his ankle and stay with his family because of an emergency.

Supposedly, Ellis is unhappy with Robert Rowell and Don Nelson.

During huddles, Ellis is mumbling to himself that he wants to be traded. He makes it loud enough, though, for the team to hear his comments and attempt to do something about it soon. Ellis also arrives late to team pracitices and shootarounds.

Not only did Ellis do that to show his anger, but he did more. He skipped a team photo shoot which usually dooesn't make the front office happy.

This all may because of the possiblity of a contract termination. But who knows?

If Monta really wants to be the face of this franchise and a superstar, he needs to mature and move on from what he did.

If the Warriors decide to trade Ellis, who would you like in return?