I watched the game on YES

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Shooter, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Shooter

Shooter Unanimously Great

advertising
    I watched the game last night on the YES network with Marv Albert and Mike Fratello. The clarity on my new 46-inch Samsung HD TV was unbelievable, but that's another story . . . :)

Albert and Fratello kept going on about how Portland is a team of the future, and stocked at every position, and extremely well-coached, and very athletic, etc., etc. Fratello called Batum "one of the better rookies in the league," and Albert raved about how Roy turned it on in the second half after going scoreless from the field in the first half.

In the locker room after the game, one reporter kept asking the Nets players and coaches how a young team like Portland is able to keep its poise during crunch time at the end of games, and almost everyone pointed to Roy as the answer. Lawrence Frank compared him to Dwayne Wade.

What I love about these Blazers is that they never give up, and they always believe they can win a game. It started three years ago in Roy's rookie season, when he exhibited the kind of grace and calm under pressure that are unimaginable from a rookie, and since then it has infected the entire team. I think Roy's confidence has actually helped guys like Batum and Bayless and Outlaw develop their games. They see him doing it night after night, and they think, "Hey, I can step up my game, too."

I have to pinch myself everytime I think how lucky we are to have Roy on this team, surrounded by all of this young talent.

2. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Roy is obviously the reason why we play like a much more grizzled team.

Also, I think Batum is quickly developing into our 3rd of 4th most important player on the roster. His defense, at his age, is unbelievable. He guards the 1-2-3 very well. We haven't had a player like this since? ......

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  3. MIXUM

MIXUM Suspended

radio/mixmaster/club jock/syndication programmer
    i love listening to marv.... infact it was a nice change as i watched teh game on YES.

any announcer who wants to know how to do play by play wout being a homer... listen to marv. always a brillinat job.

4. Sug

Sug Well-Known Member

To be honest, I don't think we have ever had a player like that at age. That makes him very special.

5. Public Defender

Public Defender brigadier general

asking questions
    I noticed Fratello at the table, but never got a good look at who was sitting beside him.

I would've loved to have heard them call the game... not that I have a problem with Barrett and Rice - they're just not nearly as good, or even-handed, as Marv and Mike.

I think you're right about Roy. He's the reason the Blazers aren't the Baby Bulls from a few years ago.

6. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

What amazing is how quick he is running the floor. I saw a play where Devin Harris was on the break running away from Roy - but Batum came from behind them both and was actually gaining on Harris. Tried to block - did not quite make it - but was close enough and it was astonishing to see him take over Brandon and almost Harris as if he had twin jet-packs strapped to his back.

What a player this kid is turning to be...

7. Shooter

Shooter Unanimously Great

advertising
    Marv has a new toupee, so that may be the reason you didn't recognize him. It was actually on crooked late in the game (his headset must have mussed it up) and you could clearly see it was a toupee. Both of those guys wear rugs, which is kind of funny, but Marv's is definitely the worst.

8. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

I remember that play. From where I was sitting, I think Batum actually got a hand on the ball, but it still went in (and if it wouldn't have, it would have been goal tending). It was amazing how fast he made up ground on Roy and Harris. After that play, my youngest made the comment that Batum could be a track star.

BNM

9. chris_in_pdx

chris_in_pdx OLD SCHOOL

Two things:

I watched the game on YES via pirate stream in HD. Even a bootlegged internet stream looked better on my computer screen than Blazer Broadcasting's HD signal looks on my 50" Plasma in my living room. What's that say?

Marv Albert and Mike Fratello.... listening to them call the game brought me back to some of the big game broadcasts of the 90s on the NBA on NBC when Albert/Czar was their #1 broadcast team. They called the game in a very slight Nets-homerish way that still found ways to praise the Blazers, much much more than Barrett/Rice does opposite. I enjoyed listening to them call the game as well.

10. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

Shades of Pippen? Granted Scottie was a little passed his prime as a Blazer, but every time I watch Nicolas I get constant 'flashes' of what might come -- and this is all happening at just 19 or 20.