Hornets = Super Pretenders

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by Mr. J, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

And I was thinking the Hornets would get it together a little later in the series and they end up losing by 58. What an embarrassment of a performance!

And to think people thought they were championship contenders coming into the season. What's been the reason for this huge step back from last season?

On a minor note, the Magic seem to be pretenders as well.

2. igotask8board

igotask8board Active Member

I am ashamed I picked this team as one of the elites this season. They added Posey, and didn't lose anyone other than Pargo. Peja sucked, and Paul didn't have anyone else to set up offensively.

What gets me is they will probably be worse next season. They peaked so fast. David west is not who I thought he was.

3. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

I didn't think the Hornets would be that great heading into the season, but foolishly I picked them to beat the Nuggets in the first round. The Nuggets are much better than I gave them credit for.

4. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

The Nuggets absolutely decimated them last night. Talk about an absolutely pathetic showing. They should be completely ashamed of themselves for getting completely crushed on their home court last night. I don't see any way how they recover and salvage game 5 to push it to 6.

On a sidenote - the Nuggets are a lot better than I thought they were. However, I still don't think they survive past 6 against the Lakers.

5. rox fa sho

rox fa sho Member

2 pts away from a 60 pt win...

cant do it all w/ cp3. only 2 guys can make their own shot on the team. everyone else is role players. posey isnt an all star caliber player. if they dont wanna go to the lottery next season they gotta make trades or some big fa signings.

6. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

I said they were pretenders last year and I said it this year.

TBH, I was never that impressed by them. Last year I didn't think their style of basketball and on court success translated into playoff success. They didn't make it out of the second round last year and this year, they are just an embarrassment.

7. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

Deron Williams>Chris Paul? At least when Deron gets 6 TO's, he gets 20/10 ;)

8. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

I've also been saying that since last year.

9. shankyoass

shankyoass Ceci n'est pas une pipe.

If it was against any other team, David West would be playing much better. The problem is K-Mart and the Birdman are quick enough to keep up with him, and athletic enough to contest every one of his shots. David West can't take them down low, and can't shoot over them. This causes him to miss a ton of shots, and the more he misses, the lower his confidence becomes.

If he was playing any other team with less athletic and quick defenders, he would be fine.

I think overall, Denver just matches up pretty well with NO. Not to mention Tyson Chandler is not 100%.

Sure New Orleans have fallen off a bit, but I don't think we should count them out yet. I still think they can be one of the top teams next year.

10. rox fa sho

rox fa sho Member

new orleans isnt bad, they just need more offense. someoen who can make their own shot would fit perfectly. that was one of the key reasons why the rockets cant get out the first round before this season...aside form tmac/yao they had no one hwo can put the ball on the floor.

if they were to get another scorer they should go after a big instead of a wing player. they're stacked at the 1-3 spots and all those players (except ryan bowen) can contribute to their offense. david west is a baller and always gets his, but he isnt a big time scorer or however you wanna call it (not on kobe/bron/dirks level of scoring). he's undersized for his position too.

they get another scoring big in there, it would make the shots for the wing players easier. and since their wing players are role players more than kobe/tmac like players, its a lot better for them cuz you cant have posey/butler doing the same thing kobe does for his team.