Here she is, Game 5: Houston @ Portland

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by igotask8board, Apr 28, 2009.

1. igotask8board

igotask8board Active Member

Less than three hours to go! The Rockets can actually do it tonight and finally advance past the first round.

Keys to the game:
    -Make sure Yao gets his touches early.
    -Put them away and keep them down, do not let them back in the game. There is nothing worse than being in a close game with a team facing elimination.
    -Bench scoring.The Rockets are going to need our bench players to come in and give them a boost.

Final score, 106-92

GO ROCKETS!

2. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    I don't see the Blazers blowing us out. Our defense is good enough to keep us in games. However, if we enter the fourth quarter trailing, which I think will happen, I don't think we have the personnel to come out with a win two games in a row. Winning this in game 6 will be key, but of course I'd like a win tonight. Yao needs to be active again and fight for position when fronted. He did that well in Game 4, but after playing 44 minutes I don't know if he'll have the energy to do it all night tonight.

3. Umair1

Umair1 Clutchcity

Jamba Juice..lol
    In 2007, we were up 3-2 heading into Utah. We had numerous chances to win Game 6 in Utah but we came back home and lost that game also. I DO NOT want that to happen again, and i would much rather not even come back home for a game 6. I just don't want this to even go to Game 6 or 7 if that somehow happens. I hope we learn from the past, and destroy these guys in their own homecourt. I seriously think the Rockets will come out with high intensity and blow these guys out from the start. LETS GO ROCKETS!!!

-Brooks need to make better decisions
    -Artest needs to get everyone involved before involving himself
    -Yao needs to be a monster

4. Trip

Student
    Down 11, game over.

5. xCLAVEx

xCLAVEx JBB JustBBall Member

Phew, lots of home cookin from the refs in this game, and it stinks. Hopefully the Rockets get it back when they go home.

6. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

Man, that offense turned real ugly, real quick in that fourth quarter. That 15-0 run was like a knock out punch. Rockets got in the penalty too early with all those fouls, and I think it took their edge off defensively and caused them to play tentatively. Much harder to score when you're not getting stops as well.

The Rockets had an opportunity to win, with Brandon Roy not having one of his best games, but they couldn't get their offense in sync at the critical moments. We've seen these 4th quarter offensive meltdowns so often this season, I've almost become numb to it. Oh well, we'll try it again next time.

7. Trip

Student
    Game 6 is gonna be a must-win. I can't see us taking another one in Portland.

The Rockets really need to keep their composure when the other team goes on a run, and not rush their possessions when they're down. Brooks and Artest tonight were main culprits. In the last 5 minutes, we should have consistently attacked the basket and tried to open up the defense for Yao. Instead, we took too many contested threes.

8. Umair1

Umair1 Clutchcity

Jamba Juice..lol
    If Rockets don't take Game 6, they will definitely lose Game 7. The fans/refs will be on their side and give them the confidence and advantage they'll need to win. If the Rockets lose, this will yet again be a dissapointing year. We NEEEEED to win game 6, and I expect us to come out with great energy!

9. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

We don't have that perimeter scorer who can be cool and collected under pressure. Of course, coming into the season we all expected McGrady to be that guy. With him gone, we've had to rely on Aaron Brooks and Ron Artest, but Brooks is too inexperienced and small, while Artest is just too flaky and out of control. Ultimately, lacking that guy will be our undoing. I expected Portland to win this series in 7 games because they had that guy and we didn't. Our better overall play from the role players made it a moot point, but as the pressure mounts with game 6 and (maybe) game 7 I think it could very well become the deciding factor.

10. Trip

Student
    Agreed. There's also nothing you can really do to change their ways, as it takes experience and not through practice. Von Wafer has also become a bit of a black hole on offense. In the next game, I wouldn't mind seeing Lowry in the game down the stretch; His ability to get to the basket is really what we were lacking in the final minutes.

Fuck, I can't watch Game 6. Got an exam ending that night and I've gotta pack and move out of rez on the same night.

11. Umair1

Umair1 Clutchcity

Jamba Juice..lol
    I remember the possesion we were up 68-64, and Wafer penetrated and popped from 16 feet out and missed. In critical possesions like that, you need to setup the offense and allow Yao to get position. You don't friggin try to take over the game and shoot those crazy shots! I know he's young and all, but he needs to learn to control himself in tight games like that. Had we made a shot on that possesion we wouldve been up by 6. Those were some crazy calls to get the Rockets in foul trouble. A few of them were really bad with a couple involving Lowry and Landry. I'm just mad at the fact that we COULD'VE taken these guys out in this game. But oh well, we will have the crowd on our side in Game 6 and we shall take advantage of that. Rockets need to take this baby from start to finish. They need to realize that this is a must-win game. We've had many games like this before. Game 7 at Dallas, Game 7 vs. Utah. WE NEED TO COME OUT ON TOP THIS TIME! This is our time, we need to and we WILL WIN GAME 6!

12. igotask8board

igotask8board Active Member

The Rockets didn't close Portland at their house.

Tickets are on sale! I just ordered some for game 6.

Thursday @ 8:30PM

Damn that sucks, Trip. I will be rooting for you at the game.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  13. rox fa sho

rox fa sho Member

ron and yao have to show up thsi game. 1 and 2 scoring optins cant get less than 10 points in this game. no wafer this game so our role playres took a hit. corse the team should more than make up for it w/ the players they have.

our 2 best playrs dont show up we'll be hard pressed to win this game