Agent: Babel Not Ready To Leave Liverpool

Discussion in 'Liverpool FC' started by CelticKing, May 28, 2009.

1. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

Agent: Babel Not Ready To Leave Liverpool

[​IMG]

The agent of Ryan Babel has moved to quash recent reports claiming that he could be on his way out of Liverpool during the close-season.

It was alleged on Wednesday that the 22-year-old had been informed by Reds manager Rafa Benitez that he can move on this summer as he can not guarantee him regular football in the starting eleven next season.

It was claimed earlier on Thursday that the 30-time capped Netherlands international could complete a switch to either the Primera Division or Serie A in time for the start of the 2009/10 campaign, while Tottenham Hotspur were mentioned as a possible destination should he wish to stay in England.

However, the former Ajax star's representative Winnie Haatrecht inists that the versatile forward has no plans to head for the exit doors at Anfield until he has left his mark on the club.

"We'll get around the table with Mr Benitez soon to evaluate the season," Haatrecht told Sportwereld.

"He has not had the time to establish himself.

"Ryan left Ajax for Liverpool because he wanted to win trophies and, so far, he hasn't succeeded.

"Ryan wants to leave Liverpool as a first-team player with a prize in his pocket. He is not ready to go."

2. Colonel Ronan

Colonel Ronan Continue...?

Control Center analyst
    It would be a shame to see him leave because he's quite an explosive player but needs a little work with his compusure and finishing. He probably deserves more playing time, though.

3. hielo español

hielo español Welcome aboard Dre

I've posted my thought on Babel before:

I'll post them up later when the site is up.

4. hielo español

hielo español Welcome aboard Dre

The Babel Enigma:

So, Ryan Babel. Is he an athlete, is he a footballer?

Does he care about football enough to make it? Has he gone backwards or forwards this season?

It seems where the Dutchman is concerned there are always more questions than answers, which is a pity because he is not too many unanswered questions away from being the real deal.

When Ryan Babel first signed he was an exciting signing. He started pretty well and his first season you couldn't really expect much more from a 19/20 year old finding his feet in what was no contest the best league in the world. Four goals in the prem added to an impressive five in Europe and it seemed he was establishing himself as an important part of the squad. So has he actually gone backwards?

Well yes, and no. Once again with Babel there is no definitive answer. He has scored few but important goals but his overall play and effectiveness (i.e a massive goal v United) diminished quickly this season as did his overall value to the squad.

I remember watching Babel just before his transfer request and he and Benayoun did nothing. Both of them looked inept and lazy and as he stood with his hands on his hips as we were drawing 0-0 with West Ham having just come on the pitch, well that was it for me. Both of them had to go.

That however is only half of the tale. We all know the transformation Beny underwent that saw him put in a late run for player of the season and all credit to him. It is often said that Benitez can't man manage, well whatever he did or said to Beny he certainly did well enough. I don't think it was particularly inspiring to compare his squad to United and make out he was shopping in the bargain bucket and I do think that had a knock on affect short term, however it seems to have also acted as a "put up or shut up" and Beny certainly "put up".

The main thing that stops Babel making it as a world class player is his decision making, it is awful, it's the same reason that Mark Gonzalez looked great in Spain and not so great at Liverpool. The other question to answer was his attitude, which is probably the most important change that had to be made if he was EVER to become the player he could be. I'm glad to say I saw clear evidence that he is willing to allow Rafa the chance to mould him as a player.

You see Beny was not the only player who changed his attitude at that point in the season, Babel's change was just more subtle. Babel went from a player who would always run the ball and shoot and look like he needed his own ball to play with (ala Nani) to a player who seemed to be reading from invisible cue cards, deliberating over his next move and taking his time, the only problem was he was taking too much of it. It was for this reason he came in for a lot of stick at the end of the season as it was so infuriating to see him go from one extreme to another, neither of which we required from him but to me this was a signal of intent and the first time I've seen him take on board something he clearly did not agree with as a player and try and adapt his style and for that I applaud him because it shows growth, humility and a willingness to listen to your manager for the good of the team.

It may not seem that way to Babel at the moment but believe me, he can only become a better player by doing exactly what Benitez tells him to, if he needs any proof of that he only needs to glance across the changing rooms to his compatriot or even look at the lads in the 8 and 9 shirts.

Next Season is a massive season for Ryan Babel more so than any other player in my eyes. His potential is off the charts but Benitez won't sit around gambling on that potential forever. The good news for Ryan is that he seems to want to be here, the manager seems to want him to be here and he is improving.

The final question Babel will answer next season is whether he is good enough, once and for all.

Good luck Ryan and keep up the good work.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
    Colonel Ronan likes this.
  5. Colonel Ronan

Colonel Ronan Continue...?

Control Center analyst
    Next season could greatly define his future. He definitely has the key ingredients to become a world class winger but he needs that little extra spice. I heard that Benitez might be playing Babel as a striker which Babel claims to be his "favoured" position.

Fantastic write-up, hielo, rep much deserved. :)