Is Ray LEwis the best EVER?

Discussion in 'NFL General' started by Philly_Freak93, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Philly_Freak93

Philly_Freak93 The Oracle

im still young, and right now ray lewis is with out a doubt the most dominating player in any sport at his position (besides shaq) that i have seen. he is so intense, serious and great. people i taled to about this say jerry rice and barry sanders were. i saw a little of barry at the end of his career, and same with jerry but i dont see it. i hear jerome brown was he most dominant ever at a position, and wouldbe the best ever even now had he not have quit to go act which he didnt dominate at all. i saw dirty 30 and he should have stayed to football. opinions?

2. Philly_Freak93

wait, my post doesnt look right. was it jim brown or james brown or jerome. i know 1 was a dominat eagle that got in a car crash and died early in his career, 1 was the football player i was talking about and 1 was a singer. just forget who wsa who

3. Bucs40etrain

Bucs40etrain *********

Jim brown the browns running back will always be one of the best in his
    postion.

Ray lewis is thee most dominant middle linebacker since butkus and
    singletery. He's simply the best ever.

Jerome brown was a force but he died to early and we
    will never know. Its alot like the Great 58 Derrick Thomas in kc.
    Dc also died to early, his legacy will live on from the way he
    he grew up til the end of his life..truley a sad story.

But imo i have never ever seen a linebacker of ray lewis caliber.
    the man takes his defense on his own shoulders and rises there
    play. amazing.

4. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

To define the "Best" ever is impossible....everyone bases thie opinion on what they value.....this is gonna sound weird but the best football player I ever saw was Walter Payton(but he wasnt the best RB I have ever seen, just the best football player ever)....Sweetness did everything a football should do, he could run, catch, block, throw and he was the highest effort player I have ever seen....Jim Brown was a better running back, but Payton was the best football player in my opinion....the second best football player I have ever seen is Jerry Rice, in his prime, he was unstoppable....he was never that fast, but he ran th most percise routes you could imagine....he was always open and he was amazing after the catch, he blocked well, he could prolly throw well, I bet he could have been a hall of fame corner or safety too....I dont think ray Lewis is the best ever, beacuse I think hes not the best MLB in the game today...I think Urlacher is a better player right now, and Butkus was way better than both of them in his day....

5. Bucs40etrain

Bucs40etrain *********

Hmm interesting opinon beef, i must admit payton
    was something of a site top see, rice is the best wr
    hands down. they dont call jerry rice, jesus in cleets
    for nothing. The man is what 42 and he is still
    playing in the nfl.

Urlacher had a down year this season he was
    pancaked alot this year on blocks and the absence
    of colvin hurt his numbers this year.
    Ray lewis is the same. I guess when people say
    best linebacker ever they should be more specific.

lavar arrington can be mentioned also with lewis
    and urlacher.

6. Bearsfan1

Bearsfan1 2 Time Defending FF Champion

I am going to agree with beef on this one, in fact, i say this with no disrespect intended, ray lewis is a fine football player, but he is not best player on his team, from the U of M, so how can he be best ever. Jerry Rice is best reciever, but watch marvin harrison run him down and put some discussion to it. lavar arrington is not in a class with anyone, he hasnt met an assignment he couldnt blow.

7. Steelerfan_2005

Steelerfan_2005 The Peacekeeper XL

This is a difficult arguement that will go on until the end of time. What is the criteria basing one's opinion on the "Best Ever"? Statistics? Physical Skills? I've seen every player mentioned do amazing things, but there are a lot of players that have done amazing things in their careers. Is it a player's ability to do amazing things consistantly throughout their careers that make the the Best? Sometimes teammates make players better. Rice was amazing but had alot of help. Joe Montana, Steve Young, and Jeff Garcia are all good quarterbacks and helped make Rice successful. If Rice would have started his career with Scott Mitchell, would we hold him to the same standard?

8. Pack Attack

Pack Attack The KISS Army

If I didn't despise Ray Lewis personally, I may jump in on the best ever argument. He is fun to watch, but I don't like his showboating, nor do I like the fact that I truly believe he got away with murder a few years back because of his celebrity status.

Speaking of which, why isn't Michael Pittman in jail yet?

9. Bucs40etrain

Bucs40etrain *********

Pittman isnt in jail yet for one reason pack
    our juducial system lacks instant timing. lol.
    2 years from now he will finally be sentenced lol.
    Everyone has there own opinon of whos the best
    middle linebackers.I dont know maybe its me
    but watching urlacher all year, he didnt really
    have a great year. Ray lewis however did like he
    does every year. 15 to 18 tackles a game and int
    avg a game is truely dominating.

Its funny scott mitchell is brought up. Scott mitchell
    set a record in tds passes in a season one year with
    brett perriman,hermen moore and johnny morton
    with, i beleive 42 td passes correct me if im wrong
    zackman. He also threw more td passes for the
    other teams defenses.

Whether ray lewis is a man getting away with a
    crime is remained to be seen. He was found not
    guilty therefore he is a free man. This doesnt
    take away from his greatness what he does on
    the field. Just like pete rose as a baseball player
    and oj simpson as a rb in buffalo.

10. td4td

td4td Fearless ****** of Orange Crush

I'd have to go with the original LT. Lawrence Taylor changed the way the game is played at his position. Wasn't he MVP of the NFL one season? I think he could be considered the most dominating player ever.

11. Bucs40etrain

Bucs40etrain *********

yeah td lt was amazing the man was clearly
    the best outside linebacker i ever seen play.
    I break up the linebacker postions into there
    catorgorys. Some will say of lt how long did he
    play on cocaine or crack. I dont care the man
    was a force on the field.

12. Pack Attack

Pack Attack The KISS Army

Lawrence Taylor was a domninant linebacker to be sure...especially in Tecmo Bowl for the NES. [​IMG]

Ray Lewis will be legendary when his career is over if he manages to stay healthy. He's already got a ring and that's the first step in the right direction.

He had something ridiculous like...219 tackles this year? Jesus...

13. gogobroncos

gogobroncos nfl-*****s member

It is hard to say most dominant player ever. You guys are whipping out the Jim Browns, Lawrence Taylors and Dick Butkus... I think back and realize that one of the most dominant players that I can remember on defense was Ray Nitsche of the Packers from the '60s. I have to say that the film reels don't lie. I have literaly seen people run away from this guy and it's pretty darn funny when you see that happen. A close second would have to Mike Singletary. The current LB coach for the Ravens was one bad son of a buck in his day. He was Ray Lewis before Ray Lewis. If you want an intimidator, you need look no further.

By the way. If it was offensive, I would strongly consider O.J. Simpson... Think about it, 2,000+ yrds in a 14-game season. I'd say that qualifies as dominance. =D

14. The Return of the Raider

The Return of the Raider Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Pack Attack wrote:

Lawrence Taylor was a domninant linebacker to be sure...especially in Tecmo Bowl for the NES. [​IMG]

Ray Lewis will be legendary when his career is over if he manages to stay healthy. He's already got a ring and that's the first step in the right direction.

He had something ridiculous like...219 tackles this year? Jesus...
    </div>

You make a great point PA. Love him or hate him, Ray will someday be a first-ballot Hall of Famer.

15. Bearsfan1

O.J definately makes it a close race between him and lewis for most dominating player to ever kill another human, i know they are both innocent, really i mean that [​IMG]

16. Philly_Freak93

theres only 2 players i know that play with so much emotion. brian dawkins and ray lewis. they both dominate their position, are both a little small and are so in to the game. i love watching them play, i love it its so exciting to see them get up and dance after a tackle, thats heart, showing their emotion no matter what the score is. people say thats not right, thats how u show ur love for the game

17. Pats37

Pats37 The Next Big Thing

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "PRIME TIME" as one of the most dominent at his position. He single handed swung the power struggle in the NFC (or basicly the NFL since the AFC was weak) between the 49ers and Cowboys two years in a row and for about 5 years until he started getting hurt QB's wouldn't even throw at him. He would essentially take away half the field. He may have been an ass but he was an exceptional athlete. One down side no abilitly to tackle, but they didn't ask him to do that.

18. gogobroncos

gogobroncos nfl-*****s member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pats37)</div><div class='quotemain'>I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "PRIME TIME" as one of the most dominent at his position. He single handed swung the power struggle in the NFC (or basicly the NFL since the AFC was weak) between the 49ers and Cowboys two years in a row and for about 5 years until he started getting hurt QB's wouldn't even throw at him. He would essentially take away half the field. He may have been an ass but he was an exceptional athlete. One down side no abilitly to tackle, but they didn't ask him to do that.</div>

You make an excellent point Pats37. He is the one player in the league that could single-handedly eliminated one half of the entire field. Intimidation factor of 11 on a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being the highest.

19. Bearsfan1

i thought some more and i think the most dominating player in the history of the league was johnny unitas, unlike todays qb he called his own plays, and unlike defensive players who you can just avoid to take out of the game he touched the ball on every offensive possesion

20. Pats37

Pats37 The Next Big Thing

I hear ya gogo if he hadn't gone to the 49ers the cowboys probably would have won 4 straight championships.