Red Devils seal deal to sign Valencia from Wigan

Discussion in 'Manchester United FC' started by CelticKing, Jul 3, 2009.

1. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

Red Devils seal deal to sign Valencia from Wigan

[​IMG]

Manchester United have completed the signing of Wigan winger Antonio Valencia, with the player describing the move as a "dream''.

The Ecuador international has been tracked by United for the last 12 months and new Wigan boss Roberto Martinez has been unable to persuade him to stay at the DW Stadium.

United have not disclosed the fee they have paid to the Latics, though it is thought to be around £16m, after signing the player on a four-year contract.

The 23-year-old is the first player signed by Sir Alex Ferguson as they look to replace Cristiano Ronaldo following his £80m move to Real Madrid.

"Joining Manchester United is a dream come true for me,'' he told United's official website. "I have enjoyed my time at Wigan, but I am thrilled to have the chance to challenge for the biggest honours in club football here.

"Playing in front of 76,000 fans alongside players like Wayne Rooney, Rio Ferdinand and Ryan Giggs will be an amazing experience. I can't wait to get started.''

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson said: "Antonio is a player we have admired for some time now, having spent the last two years in the Premier League with Wigan. I am sure his pace and ability will make a significant contribution to the team.''

2. Colonel Ronan

Colonel Ronan Continue...?

Control Center analyst
  3. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

Yeah I really haven't seen him play so not sure how good he is. lol

4. Colonel Ronan

Colonel Ronan Continue...?

Control Center analyst
    He's good at nutmegs.

5. bbwchingy0007

bbwchingy0007 BBW Member

He's a good player, probably one of the more underrated players in the Premier League. His goal scoring record isn't great, though (something like 4 goals in 80-90 appearances for Wigan) but his dribbling ability is amongst the best in the world. He's by no means a "like-for-like" replacement for Ronaldo, but then that would be an impossible feat. I understand, though, that they were planning to buy Valencia even before Ronaldo left, but then again they may have known they were losing Ronaldo by then anyway. It's a good signing; he's young, talented, has a great work ethic and should fit in really well with the current crop at United.

6. Mixx

Mixx JBB JustBBall Member

Construction
    He is a solid player Alex went for someone that can move like Ronaldo and has tricks like him so he went for Valencia, United will change Valencia's career for the better for course.