OT: Spurs sign Marcus Haislip

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
  2. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

He was a fantastic leaper in college.

3. RickyRubio

RickyRubio He Hate Me

Spurs always have an eye for good talent!

4. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Can't wait to see how KP counters this? Maybe he will switch thumbs and sit on his left thumb for a while?

5. Sug

Sug Well-Known Member

I bet I can predict how you will handle any Blazer news for the rest of time...:biglaugh:

6. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

He's not talented, just a freak athlete. They signed James Flight White a few years ago, but he never saw the court. I did hear the Spurs are after Big Baby though and will send him an offer and hope Boston doesn't match.

7. LittleAlex

LittleAlex Well-Known Member

Look, I felt the same way for awhile.

I horrified that Portland let the trade deadline come and go.

I was really unimpressed with the idea of bringing in Hedo with that absurd contract.

But then I realized that no matter who Portland could realistically get it doesn't matter one tenth as much as the development of Oden and LaMarcus.

If those two guys come into camp better then they were last year and Roy stays at the same level then it wouldn't matter if the other starters were D-League scrubs. Those three guys playing at a high level is going to be a 50+ win team.

Further, if those guys don't get better, then it wouldn't matter who Portland brought in. No one available could possibly have the same impact as a better Oden and an all-star caliber LaMarcus.

That being the case, I don't think a complete lack of moves this off season will demolish the teams future.

Sure, it would be nice to have a quality Point Guard. It would be really nice to have a guy who can create his own shot. But Portland will be good without that.

How good depends almost entirely on two guys Portland already has on the roster.

8. Mediocre Man

Consistancy is the key to life.

Hey, I'll shut up if he does something to help. Going into the season with Blake and Outlaw still on this roster for Nate to overuse is a failure IMO. Having no clearcut starter out of Batum (who it should be), Webster and Outlaw is a failure IMO. Releasing Frye, who while not great is light years better than Jeff Pendergraph I would assume, and not replacing him with a bonafide back up 4 is a failure IMO. We supposedly stayed away from making a deal because our GM thought there would be better bargains now. At the time we had no idea if Hedo was going to be available, so where are these deals? His owner siad go for it, so where are these deals? KP said we needed some upgrades and he knew where, so where are these deals?

I hope I look like an even bigger idiot, and he signs or trades for someone tomorrow, but I don't see that happening.

9. hasoos

hasoos Well-Known Member

Yep let's face it people. It all comes down to Greg panning out. If Greg doesn't pan out, the rest of this stuff means dick. If he does, then a lot of moves other teams made means dick, because Ron Artest and Richard Jefferson don't guard Greg Oden.

10. Mediocre Man

Name the last NBA champion that didn't add a final piece through trade or free agency? Our team is right there. It needs to get better at PG and more experienced at SF to take the next step.

11. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Wrong. What it needs is a backup power forward. Bayless will be a better PG and we just added a year of experience to our SF spot.

12. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    What I think this shows is that people who say "he won't come over - he's a star in Europe" aren't necessarily right. Of course it helps that Haislip WAS in the NBA and is American. But he could've stayed in Spain and probably been signed by Real Madrid or some big team.

So... we should target Pablo Prigioni for our PG! (Unlike my new fave, Diamantidis, he's actually a FA, and rumored headed to Real Madrid.)

(Alternatively, there's "Russian" J.R. Holden...)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  13. hasoos

hasoos Well-Known Member

The San Antonio Spurs. With Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, Bowen and Oberto. Since you asked.

I know what you're saying, but despite what folks believe, Portland is not an attractive place for free agents. KP can only do what his salary cap budget allows for. I would have been more active at trying to fill the backup PF void, as there were several players available. But at least I know he tried to go after a player. I just don't think he has done this much before.

The main thing I noticed when Turkoglu came to visit is I didn't see any of the team leadership present to try and sell the team. That is a big no no in my book. In fact in the pictures that I saw of KP when he went to go pick up Turkoglu, he looked like he had just got out of bed. Talk about a non professional appearance.

14. Mediocre Man

Not enough. Bayless might be better, but Nate isn't going to play him over Blake. And SF does need more experience. And it certainly needs to be consolidated

15. hasoos

hasoos Well-Known Member

Unfortunately it seems the only way to get Nate to quite playing certain guys is to trade them. I personally would rather throw Bayless into the fire, and then by the end of year you might have a guy who will help you when the playoffs roll around. If not, you know your needs have change going into the year after. It is at least better than the insanity of going into the playoffs with a known weak spot.

16. Iwatas

Iwatas Blazers Fan

SF needs seasoning; Batum is the future. Patience is not the worst approach.
    Backup PF: Pendergraph...why not?
    PG - Bayless is not going to lead a contender in one year or two. If he turns into a good player at point, it will take TIME. must get better, must get better... this is where the deals need to happen.

iWatas

17. Mediocre Man

Nope. One of the most important pieces to that team was their defensive stopper on the perimeter, Bruce Bowen. He was signed as a FA in 2000. In their title year of 1999, they drafted Duncan the year before, and also signed Mario Ellie nad Jerome Kersey as veteran help.

No team has done it.

18. Mediocre Man

SF needs seasoning is a good way to put it. I certainly don't think Batum should be replaced. He is defeinately the future, but I think there might be better options out there to start for us now.

PF and Pendergraph might work, but adding someone who has played a game in the league would be better IMO. It's not like we added Duncan. Pendergraph was a second round pick.

Bayless could do it, but most likely in a year or two like you say. Hopefully we will get to find that out this year.

19. Crimson the Cat

Crimson the Cat Well-Known Member

Another quality move for San Antonio.

I'm still not concerned though. As far as I'm concerned Portland has made moves to help with next season.

- moving Sergio to allow Bayless to develop
    - drafting Pendergraph and Cunningham, IMO better fitting players than Randolph, Ruffin, or Frye.

It's only July 6th, right? The summer isn't close to over yet.

20. LameR

LameR Ha Seung-Jin Approved!

Soccer Coach
    I think he was referencing the Spurs' most recent championships.