Exactly what bad has happened?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    So, supposedly Pritchard is having the worst Summer of his life, and the Blazers are spiralling down the toilet. Remind me again exactly what bad has happened?

First, what was the prize free agent that everybody on this board HAD TO HAVE this offseason?
    It certainly wasn't Turkoglu.
    In fact, there WASN'T one, was there? This is a crappy bunch of FAs, and we haven't exactly lost much by not getting ANY of them. I mean, are the fans of OKC railing at Sam Presti for "sitting on his hands"? Why isn't he a "free agent loser"? On the contrary, he gets called a canny GM.

So again, what do you know FOR SURE that has happened that will adversely affect this young, 54-win franchise in the immediate future? The worst thing that I can think of is that we lost Sergio.

2. BTOWN_HUSTLA

BTOWN_HUSTLA NOW BUZZ KILLINGTON

We kept Steve Francis' contract on the books for two years to clear up cap space when we could have been upgrading our roster with that money.

We didn't use RLEC.

that's all I'm upset about really. I never believed in the Summer 09 plan.

3. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

unless the duder over at BE is right, this Roy and LAM12 issue is RIDICULOUS

4. RoyToy

RoyToy Clown Town

Francis contract > Randolph contract.

Couldn't find the right deal for RLEC. Only player that intrigued me was Wallace, and they wanted too much, although I'm more willing to give up Batum for Wallace now than I was before.

5. rocketeer

rocketeer Active Member

wow, a reasonable post. these are getting more rare every day.

6. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    The shit hit the fan.

It's been one shit storm after another.

7. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    I, personally, will be shocked if they even make the playoffs next year. This team has suffered one offseason loss after another. Has any team ever been dismantled as quickly as these Blazers? Maybe the Jordan/Pippen Bulls in 1998...maybe.

8. Wheels

Wheels Is That A Challenge?!?!1! Staff Member Global Moderator

:biglaugh:

9. Idog1976

Idog1976 Well-Known Member

I look to the stars.
    I will tell you exactly what happened this summer. It is a copy/paste from another thread but it applies here even more:

Absolutely spot on. I firmly believe the "Disaster offseason" is a function of the media. Once bored small one sport town commentators try and stir the pot and get some additional attention by making over the top claims you get a guaranteed echo-chamber effect nationally. Let's not forget that Quick and Canzano's employer is barely treading water right now and any attention they can generate is good attention. I've noticed that especially in the past 10 years or so sports writers have become exceptionally bi-polar and over the top. They are either putting people on pedestals or absolutely tearing them down, or more likely, both.

When you look out on national sports commentary you see guys like Colin Cowherd, Jim Rome (sadly a reasonable guy compared to some) and Bill Simmons and they are totally over the top at all times. It's pretty bad statement about sports media when I actually have to respect the talent of Bill "I hate Oden's guts" Simmons, but at least he has talent unlike alot of writers who amount to little more then gossip mongers. I mean Quick is reasonable when he keeps his own opinions out of the subject matter and just weaves a story but Canzano is...well...Canzano.

Once Quick and Canzano wrote their pieces it was certain they would be for paid subscription on ESPN insider rumors and equally certain that if nothing else was going on folks like WOJ would pick them up and run. There seem to be some writers with vendetta's (WOJ with KP and Simmons with Oden) and others who just appeal to sensationalism and venom (Canzano and Cowherd). Over all the media echo chamber guarantees that even wingnut writers will be echoed if news is slow.

There are only a few questionable things that happened this summer. One of them to me is the Roy thing just because I think you roll the dice on this guy and give him what he wants, he's special and top 7 PER already in his 3rd year. You pay that guy. On the flip side the near signing of Hedo horrified me as he has albatross contract written all over him. I worry that KP is over playing his hand with Millsap and I don't approve of potentially alienating trade partners by being so heavy handed. I think however, KP and Tom Penn are great for front office guys and we are lucky to have them.

Does anyone have a theory about why the 4 year contracts? Is the Rose Garden contract up in 4 years? Any major FA's that year? I've read the idea about being able to re-tool after a possible strike year 2011. Is there any other reason?

10. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Y'know, something nobody has talked about here, but one other disaster that happened this summer was the plans to tear down the Blazer office building at the Rose Quarter. If that isn't evidence they are moving to Seattle I don't know what "is" is.

barfo

11. TehChad

TehChad Teh Great NEGATOR

lol I agree. The Blazers might as well start preparing for another draft lottery party.

12. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Gee, nothing bad at all!

- Tod Leiweke makes a public statement that Paul Allen won't continue to "subsidize" the Blazers in order to be in Portland.

- Top free-agent target plays the Blazers for a bigger deal in Toronto

- Bargnani signs for five years; Blazers won't give Roy anything more than four and things appear to be nearing a stalemate

- $8.5 million/per tied up for a week on a back-up PF who may be matched

- Negotiations with LMA apparently non-existent at this point

It's been a fantastic summer. The Blazers love "our guys" and show them that when negotiating with the biggest two of "our guys"! Bake it!

13. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Let's see....our #1 priority *should* have been an upgrade at PG. KP has chosen to ignore that in favor of focusing on lesser issues.

I think it is perfectly legit to ask why we offered Hedo 5/$50 mil, when Miller (better player and better fit) was publiclly saying he would take a 3 year deal. (and NO, I don't blame KP for Hedo double-crossing us)

I think it is also legit to ask why, if we are willing to accept the inherent risks of pursuing an RFA, we chose Millsap over Sessions.

14. rocketeer

rocketeer Active Member

andre miller the better player and better fit? i'm not sure you'll have too many people agreeing with you there.

15. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Hedo would have been a good fit, except for the whole in-it-for-the-money thing.
    Millsap over Sessions makes sense because Milwaukee is prepared and planning to match offers for him.
    Utah, there is at least some chance that the offer won't be matched, or that we can force them to do something with Boozer that helps us.

barfo

16. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

[​IMG]

17. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    All RFAs don't represent equal risk. Utah is in a tougher financial position than Milwaukee. Milwaukee already cleared the space they need by dumping Jefferson's crazy contract and letting Villaneuva walk. Utah locked up Okur and had Boozer unexpectedly not opt out.

Utah may still match, but there's a chance they won't. There's close to no chance Milwaukee wouldn't match on a Sessions offer, IMO.

18. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    I personally think we're letting Pritchard off too easy for the whole Turkoglu thing. I mean, is it too much to ask that he drug him, take pictures of him with a hooker, send them to his wife, and say to Turkoglu that he has to make a new life here, as far away from his angry ex-spouse as possible?

19. Idog1976

Idog1976 Well-Known Member

I look to the stars.
    LMAO, exactly Pritchard how are you showing your "love for your guys" with this new FA potential Blazer? If you're not willing to go at least twice as far as this and involve mafia hit men and death threats then you aren't really trying!

20. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Speak of the devil - they're inteviewing Pritchard at the Summer League...

Argh! "We don't need a traditional point guard for our team" !!!

Okay, NOW it's been a crappy Summer.

"Nate and I have a great relationship" - LIAR! Woj told us you HATE each other.

"I had him over to my house and we had a great dinner..." Pppht. Pull the other one.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009