Predict a Breakout Player

Discussion in 'NFL General' started by Chutney, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

The thread title's pretty self-explanatory. What player do you think will substantially increase their production and really make a name for themselves this year? Choose players that have had some NFL experience (no rookies), but have yet to become household names.

Last year I pinned Justin Tuck as a player who would really shine, and while he did, I'd say Michael Turner had the season's best breakout performance.

2. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

I personally think Lawrence Timmons is going to bust onto the scene this year. When it comes to breakout seasons, I usually look for players that have shown something already and are just waiting for more playing time. Timmons definitely fits that bill, IMO. He was drafted 15th overall a couple years back, but was unable to get full-time starting position because of the depth the Steelers have on D. Nevertheless, he was impressive whenever he got to play. The dude's an athletic freak, and versatile enough to make plays in coverage and on blitzes. The Steelers let go of Larry Foote to give Timmons a full-time spot and I think he's going to take full advantage of it. James Harrison might be the reigning DPOY, but I could see Timmons having a better season than him.

My Giants-centric pick is Kenny Phillips. He was the best safety prospect in last year's draft and only slid to the Giants because teams started picking based on need instead of BPA. He was supposedly very impressive during training camp, but our coaching staff limited his snaps for some stupid reasons (loyalty to the veterans and an attempt to acclimate him to our system). He still showed flashes in the rare instances he was on field though (he made an awesome play against the Cardinals, that blew my mind). This season, I'm hearing the exact same things: he's impressing everyone at training camp with his athleticism and playmaking ability. With the Giants already pencilling him in as the full-time starter, I can see him having an excellent season.

3. Lost One

Lost One ...

I really think Desean Jackson is gonna make huge strides next season. He had a phenomenal rookie year, and has worked hard all offseason. I like his attitude, the drafting of Jeremy Maclin only pushed him to work harder. I've been hearing he's been terrific in training camp, and he and Asante Samuel have been having constant battles. Samuel has also praised him for his improvements. I really think he can become a #1 wide receiver for DMac soon.

4. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

SF 49ers - Josh Morgan

5. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

Earl Bennett....when he was at Vandy, he built a nice relationship with Jay Cutler....the relationship was so strong that Cutler went back to Vandy, despite being in the NFL for the previous two years, to throw to Bennett during his pro day....I cant recall another QB doing that for a guy.....so now he finds himself in a competition to win a starting spot with the Bears and who is the QB? Mr. Cutler....I think Cutler will be most comfortable looking for Bennett and he may even become his go-to-guy....if that happens, look for Bennett to catch 80+ balls and eclipse the 1000 yard mark in just his 2nd season....

6. Big Frame

Big Frame Well-Known Member

With Plax gone, look for Steve Smith to have a breakout year.

7. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

Reggie Bush needs to put up or shut up. Maybe this is the year he finally breaks out. He has all the tools to be a great player except he can't run in between the tackles. If he ever learns how to do that, he could be a Marshall Faulk like back in my opinion.

I also think Ray Rice is someone to watch. He might become the Ravens' featured back this season. I have questions about him because of his size and he doesn't have that break away speed at least in NFL standards, but Baltimore is reportedly very high on him.

Beef has Earl Bennett breaking out but I don't see that Bear breaking out. I think Greg Olsen goes to the Pro Bowl this year from the NFC. I think he's the Bears' best receiving threat along with Matt Forte.

8. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

Would I be a homer if I said Vincent Jackson?

9. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

The Giants have a nice group of young, talented, but unproven WR's (Steve Smith, Domenik Hixon, Hakeem Nicks, Mario Manningham). I expect at least one of them to prove himself as a number 1 reciever this season. I think Smith is an excellent WR (great route runner, hard worker, reliable hands), but I personally don't think he has the size/outstanding athleticism to be the team's #1. I think he'll be a very productive #2 receiver throughout his career, with a style similar to Amani Toomer.

That was my initial thought when I read his post. Greg Olsen's already shown that he's one of the more talented/athletic TE's in the league and now he's got a legit QB to deliver him the ball.

He had a good season this past year (1000+ yards, 7 TD's). How much better do you think he can become?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  10. MKIV_Supra

MKIV_Supra 2006 NFL-*****s FF Grand Champion

I think it's too easy to pick a player on offense to breakout. So I'll go with Quintin Demps from Philly. Dawkins left and he should take his spot.

11. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

Maybe I'm being biased, but I think Vincent Jackson can become a legit #1 WR in this league. He is fast, a deep threat, and strong as fuck. A TO-lite, at least.

12. Legacy

Legacy Beast

Zach Miller!

13. La Bomba

La Bomba The Future

I'm a homer so I'm saying that Bush finally has a good season if he stays injury free. I also think Sedric Ellis will continue to make strides.