The only preseason friendly that matters

Discussion in 'Liverpool FC' started by hielo español, Aug 8, 2009.

1. hielo español

hielo español Welcome aboard Dre

the last one.

Don't get me wrong the result means nothing, what is important is how sharp you look and how your squad players look.

Now for the good news, I'm suitably impressed.

Let's get the problems out the way first. With Carragher out now (should be okay for Spurs apparently) as well as Agger and Skrtel, with all the will in the world Ayala can't start prem games. Forget your attacking player, anyone who has watched us and assessed the squad knows we need to sign a centreback more than anything. Whether it be Distin for the short term or Turner for now and the very near future it needs to be done. Little fact, Distin and Turner both played every minute of last season apparently.

With that out of the way our fullbacks look balanced and are much better than people are giving them credit for. I can't believe how much our own fans underrated Glen Johnson, I hope this is just cautious pessimism on their part because the lad is class. He has everything not just to be the best in the Prem (which on current form he is) but the best in the world.

The midfield can't be spoken of without mentioning Lucas, I think he will really prove himself this season and become a complete box to box type player in some games while being a quality holding player in others. I never saw why we bothered with him when he first got here, sure I'd heard the hype in Brazil and he was an international as well as a brazilian player of the year (no easy feat given other names on that list) but now I can honestly say I can see it. He looks so much more composed, solid, confident and the talent as well as the football brain is starting to show. Mascerhano looked up for it which is good news, I may not be his biggest fan but I know the kind of ability he has and how important he is. Benayoun and Kuyt between them provide goals, assists and effort so you can't ask much more. I'd like to see that extra piece in the midfield puzzle and I don't think Aquilani is it but I hope to be proven wrong.

Looking further upfield Torres and Gerrard can't be seperated and they weren't. Their quality shines through no matter the game, even when they arn't at their sharpest you still just know how good they are and Johnson looked the same actually. All action. Anyway Babel is in a make or break season and I am willing to go for make but he just needs to stop doing stupid things. N'gog is a player who caught my eye in france at the age of 16-17 and I was delighted we signed him and his development is the one I am most pleased with. You can see him getting better by the game, improving, adding things to his game and improving his game intelligence. His strength today was what really stood out. He has always had good feet and pace but now he looks like a legitimate centre forward who can hold the ball up under pressure. Torres is the only player we've had to do that as a first choice since we lost Crouch but now in N'gog I can see it and it will work. Expect to see a lot more of him this season I reckon.

You can look at the results of this pre season and think we've done badly, but the results belie what is important and that is that the top players who are not injured (which can't be helped) will be ready. The squad players on the fringes have all improved without doubt and some have real shouts at much more playing time.

Optimism abounds with or without the exta attacking influence, the only problem really is our lack of depth at cb, assess that and we are in business.