Suddenly thin at SF?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    What with Webster's slow recovery and Batum's shoulder "instability", we might be left with Outlaw, at least for the beginning of the season. That's bad in one sense - Outlaw doesn't work as a starter. But it might not be too bad: it could mean more minutes for Roy at SF and more minutes for Rudy at SG. Does it mean we should sign a SF as one of our final roster fills?

Alternatively, should we be trying really hard to get Battier? We supposedly offered Webster and the pick that became Bayless for Battier last year, and they countered with Outlaw instead of Webster, at which point (again, supposedly) we declined. I'd be ready to give up Outlaw and Bayless for Battier now - anyone with me? (I know, I know. Dead horse. But Houston really isn't going to contend soon, and if not for Battier, I think we would've beaten them in the playoffs. And he would improve our defense considerably, but is old enough that he wouldn't be a long term threat to Batum. Plus getting rid of Outlaw means a larger role in the offense for Rudy off the bench. I imagine some people will balk at getting rid of Bayless. Balk away, I say. I'd certainly be happy to get the rights to Sergio Llull as part of the package - would that de-balk some of the balkers?)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  2. BTOWN_HUSTLA

BTOWN_HUSTLA NOW BUZZ KILLINGTON

Outlaw disrupts the offense. I'd start Rudy if Web and Nic aren't ready to compete.

3. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    I'd start Rudy too.

It'd be pretty brutal trying to guard big strong small forwards (mainly LeBron and Carmello). But with Andre Miller setting them up Portland should score some points.

4. Blazer Freak

Blazer Freak Superstar in the Making

Management
    Where did you see Webster is recovering slowly? I've seen him at Club Sport shooting and training with a coach and he looked good to be. Not overweight, and nothing seemed wrong with his foot as he was trying to throw down a 360 or two before he left. I don't know where what you said is coming from...

5. Tyler_Hansbrough

Tyler_Hansbrough Auto-tune the News!

Nic will be fine. The sky is not falling.

6. hasoos

hasoos Well-Known Member

Way to stretch a minor injury. He is not even going to miss any Eurobasket games let alone regular season which is months out.

7. BLAZER PROPHET

BLAZER PROPHET Well-Known Member

dental malpractice claims adjuster
    Agreed.

8. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

If Batum can't go for whatever reason, we are going to have a tough time playing 5 on 4 since Nate won't adjust the starting line up.

9. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

This is absolutely true. But, let's be honest, Nate proved, last year, that he is able to play 6 on 5 - so we will probably be OK :devilwink:

10. Mediocre Man

LOL well sure, when the odds are in his favor........

11. Idog1976

Idog1976 Well-Known Member

I look to the stars.
    LOL nice. I obviously agree with the Battier sentiment of the OP especially if it involves trading Outlaw.

12. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

After Webster went down last year, Nate said he would start Travis at the SF position. Soon after that, Nate decided to start a 19 year old rookie at SF and stuck with that for the rest of the season.

I think Nate is flexible.

13. Mediocre Man

I thought Nate said he was starting Batum, and then flip flopped right before the L*ker game?

14. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

I remember Roy said Batum was ready, but Nate saying nothing about it... then when Outlaw bombed out as a started in LA and against SAS, and Batum blocked Duncan, Roy turned out to know what he was on about.

15. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Nico was told he was going to start. They practiced for the game with Nico as the starter. A few hours before the game, Nate informed Nico he was not going to start. Nico was put out about it, as he made clear in a blog somewhere, iirc. Starting Travis was a bit of a disaster, as was the game (god please don't remind me). Anyway, Nate realized the error he had made in flip-flopping on Nico, and Nico started the rest of the season.

16. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

That sounds much more accurate than what I recall. Point is still the same . . . Nate is much more flexible and plays youth much more than some posters give him credit for.

17. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Oh yeah, I remember that now. Good memory. Though I believe Travis started against SAS too (just listened to that game, but even now, it's hazy).

18. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    I still hold it against Nate that he inexplicably froze out Aldridge on the far end of the bench for about 6 weeks in favor of Jamal Magloire during the winter of his rookie year. That was a Mo Cheeks-level of incompetence. The benching of Batum on opening night was badly done, but I can understand why Nate got cold feet. It's a lot to ask of a19 year old rookie to start off on the opening tip on Kobe Bryant in LA on opening night.

Other than that, though, he's been pretty sensible about playing time for younger guys. It's not like he has much choice--Pritchard hasn't exactly stacked this team with 30 year old veterans.

Lol. We're debating here whether we ought to start the 20 year old (Batum), the 22 year old (Webster), or the 24 year old (Fernandez). A lot of coaches, especially ones expected to win 55 games, wouldn't be thrilled with any of those options.

19. Sug

Sug Well-Known Member

Dante is not a terrible option either. I could see starting Roy at SF as well.

20. crowTrobot

crowTrobot die comcast

statistically roy was one of the best SF in the leage last year when he played there.