CONCACAF Qualifying

Discussion in 'Americas' started by agoo, Aug 15, 2009.

1. agoo

agoo Member

Code:
    [FONT="Courier New"]                Pld  W  D  L  GF  GA  GD  Pts
    Costa Rica      6    4  0  2   9   9   0   12
    Honduras        6    3  1  2  10   6   4   10
    United States   6    3  1  2  11   8   3   10
    Mexico          6    3  0  3   8   9  -1    9
    El Salvador     6    1  2  3   6   8  -2    5
    Trin and Tob    6    1  2  3   7  11  -4    5[/FONT]
    With four matches to go, everyone is still in it. Here are the remaining schedules (home team listed first):

September 5
    Costa Rica v. Mexico
    Honduras v. Trinidad and Tobago
    United States v. El Salvador

September 9
    El Salvador v. Costa Rica
    Mexico v. Honduras
    Trinidad and Tobago v. United States

October 10
    Costa Rica v. Trinidad and Tobago
    Honduras v. United States
    Mexico v. El Salvador

October 14
    El Salvador v. Honduras
    Trinidad and Tobago v. Mexico
    United States v. Costa Rica

After the August 12 qualifying round, the CONCACAF region has achieved complete clusterfuck status. With 12 points still available, every team still has a chance at qualifying for the World Cup. As we all know, Mexico defeated the US in the Azteca, but the result of the round was Honduras' 4-0 trashing of Costa Rica. Costa Rica remains in first place, but have a zero goal differential. Honduras leap-frogs the United States on goal differential and Mexico remains fourth, despite the 2-1 win over the US.

Experts are predicting that 17 points will qualify teams for the World Cup. With that in mind, here are my predictions for each team:

Costa Rica needs just five points. Defeating the United States 3-1 at home was a major momentum boost as the US finished first in qualifying for the 06 Cup. The Honduras defeat could eliminate that momentum, going into a huge match with Mexico. I would predict Los Ticos will finish with a draw vs. Mexico, a win in El Salvador, a win vs. Trinidad and Tobago, and a loss to the United States. That would give Costa Rica 19 points.

Honduras threw a huge wrench into qualifying and sit in second place. They were a surprise qualifier for the Olympics and have continued that into World Cup qualifying. They seem likely to win against Trinidad and Tobago, before losing in Mexico. I predict a draw as they host the US and a defeat of El Salvador in October. That would put Honduras at 17.

The United States are not cruising through qualifying as they were in 06. Despite the confidence they gained in the Confederations Cup, they lost in the Azteca. How much did Landon Donovan's swine flu contribute, who knows? For September, the US should defeat both El Salvador and Trinidad and Tobago. October will feature a draw with Honduras and a defeat of Costa Rica. The United States would finish with 20.

Mexico has been all over the place in qualifying, but Javier Aguirre seems to have El Tri headed in the right direction. The question is, how much damage was done by Sven and Hugo Sanchez? Mexico should earn a draw in Costa Rica and defeat Honduras at home in September. In October, I predict a defeat of El Salvador and a big win against Trinidad and Tobabgo, who are always tough at home. Mexico finishes with 16.

El Salvador and Trinidad and Tobago both have a tall hill to climb and are unlikely to qualify. Both sides will finish with four losses and five points.

2. Colonel Ronan

Colonel Ronan Continue...?

Control Center analyst
    I think you'll win the rest of your games--But this is football, so who knows?

3. agoo

agoo Member

Even since we have become the premier force in CONCACAF, we haven't been that good on the road in qualifying. I like the odds of us getting at least a point in all three matches, but I'm not convinced about winning all four. I wouldn't put it past them, particularly if Davies continues with his recent form. If he keeps it up, he'll establish himself as CONCACAF's top forward by December. The goal against Mexico and then two today against Bordeaux make it seem like he is going to make it happen.

4. Colonel Ronan

Control Center analyst
    Chamakh also scored in that game.

5. agoo

agoo Member

And he's Moroccan...leave this to your Arsenal forum.

6. Colonel Ronan

Control Center analyst
    Relax, man.

7. agoo

agoo Member

Just giving you a hard time.

8. Colonel Ronan

Control Center analyst
    Why doesn't Ben Olsen frequent in the US team?

9. agoo

agoo Member

Injuries have ruined him. He's not the player he once was and now gets by in central midfield with his intelligence. Physically, he can't keep up with the international game. He'll be back some day as a member of the National Team coaching staff I'd bet. Maybe after 2014.

10. agoo

agoo Member

Actually Ronan, I'm not too surprised about the Chamakh comment. What I am surprised about is that you let the comment about Davies becoming the top striker in CONCACAF go by without bringing up Vela.

11. Colonel Ronan

Control Center analyst
    Nah, Vela isn't the best striker in the CONCACAF by any means and I don't expect him to be. He's only 20 and still has a lot more to learn.

I just believe that in a coupe of years he will be a world class striker.

12. Colonel Ronan

Control Center analyst
    By the way, that Castro goal was disgusting!

13. agoo

agoo Member

A few small updates leading to Saturday's qualifiers, FIFA has granted Eduardo Castillo the right to play for the US and Trinidad and Tobago have picked up Bobby Zamora and Jlloyd Samuel. T&T has called both of theirs, but Castillo is not with the US.

The US is still waiting on Jermain Jones to get a FIFA switch, but Jones is waiting on an injury to heal before he can play, so its no big rush.

14. Colonel Ronan

Control Center analyst
    Ah, Bobby Zamora. He has been playing quite well for Fulham, so far.

15. rocketeer

rocketeer Active Member

these next two games are huge for the US and are basically must wins to be in good position to avoid the 4th spot. i expect the US to win both, honduras to beat t&t but lose at mexico, mexico and costa rica to draw in costa rica and then costa rica beat el salvador. so after the next two games that would put the US and costa rica on top with 16 points and mexico and honduras tied with 13 points.

16. rocketeer

rocketeer Active Member

good news about castillo. it sounds like he's been playing very well so far this season so it'd be nice to see him get a call in sometime soon to figure out if he's going to be a legitimate starting option there or if he's a better guy to have on the bench than bornstein.

17. agoo

agoo Member

I agree. And in other left back news, Heath Pearce signed with Bursaspor of Turkey. Hopefully he gets a lot of playing time there as he is on a decent team in a solid league with some of the best crowds in Europe.

18. agoo

agoo Member

Code:
    [FONT="Courier New"]		Pld  W  D  L  GF  GA  GD  Pts
    Honduras	  7  4  1  2  14   7  +7   13
    United States	  7  4  1  2  13   9  +4   13
    Mexico		  7  4  0  3  11   9  +2   12
    Costa Rica	  7  4  0  3   9  12  -3   12
    El Salvador	  7  1  2  4   7  10  -3    5
    Trin and Tob	  7  1  2  4   8  15  -7    5[/FONT]
    So this round was helpful, wasn't it?

Costa Rica went from first to fourth and Honduras moves to the top of the table with three rounds remaining in qualifying. Here were the results for round 7:

USA over El Salvador 2-1
    Mexico over Costa Rica 3-0
    Honduras over Trin and Tob 4-1

A couple of unexpected results there. I didn't see Costa Rica losing or getting beat that badly by Mexico. And I may have predicted a Honduras win, I didn't see them putting four past Trinidad and Tobago. I guess Bobby Zamora just isn't as good when he doesn't have Clint Dempsey to kick in goals off his back.

This is however, a good thing for the United States. In a shocking turn of events, they entered tonight's match with 8 players a yellow away from a suspension and, despite horrendous officiating, they did not end up receiving a single yellow card. A win in Trinidad would pay huge dividends as Honduras is going to the Azteca and the US would move firmly into first.

I'll have a more thorough update after Wednesday's matches.

19. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

Costa Rica looked pretty sharp early on, but Mexico dominated the 2nd half for sure and had 2 very unselfish finishes for the 2nd & 3rd goals.

20. Big Frame

Big Frame Well-Known Member

When will the States play Mexico again?