Brett Gardner is better coming off the bench

Discussion in 'MLB General' started by YankeesDaily, Oct 14, 2009.

1. YankeesDaily

YankeesDaily Member

I don’t believe Brett Gardner should start any games against the Los Angeles Angels. He did hit well when he was the first batter starting a game with a .455 batting average. When he batted first all year, and not just starting off the game, he had a .304 batting average. He can’t start against the Angels however because he only has a .222 batting average against them in eight total games with five games started.

Brett Gardner stole only two bases against the Angels but didn’t get caught.

Melky Cabrera hit .393 against the Angels so you know Girardi is starting him. Derek Jeter hit .333 against the Angels so you know there’s no room for Gardner. I mentioned Jeter because Jeter leads off and some might want Gardner to lead off.

Since Gardner won’t start he’s a big weapon off the bench. If it’s late in the game and it’s a two - two tie in the bottom of the ninth inning, you bring in Brett Gardner to run for say, Mark Teixeira. Mark just got a base hit but Brett will come in the game and hopefully steal second base. Then bang, a hit from Alex Rodriguez and the game is over.

On September 22nd, Brett Gardner who actually started the game, got a base hit off of Matt Palmer to lead off the top of the ninth inning. Gardner then stole second base and put a lot of pressure on the Angels. Jeter walked. Tex was intentionally walked. Damon sacrificed Gardner over and then A-Rod hit a hit a sacrifice fly to win the game.

Without Gardner getting on base, the Yankees might of went more innings.

The post season has the best pitching in the league. I’m not high on Gardner getting on base against the best pitchers the Angels will throw at the Yankees. That’s why he needs to be used off the bench. It’s better to use him for when other players get on base. It’s like having a two headed monster in the late innings. A great hitter gets a base hit and then Gardner comes in for the great hitter and steals bases.