A.J. Burnett vs. Joe Saunders stats comparison

Discussion in 'MLB General' started by YankeesDaily, Oct 17, 2009.

1. YankeesDaily

YankeesDaily Member

A.J. Burnett is pitching an important game for the New York Yankees tonight. That’s if they play. Against the Anaheim Angels, he pitched two games and has a 4.26 ERA. He averaged eight strikeouts a game and only walked four total batters.

A.J. Burnett had a poor August but had a much better September and October. He has a 3.83 ERA in those two months. Through out the whole year, A.J. Burnett’s best count was a 2-2 count. Opponents are only batting .111 against him on the first pitch 2-2 count.

Joe Saunders started two games against the Yankees and has a 1-0 record against them. He has a 4.72 ERA and walked two batters in 13.1 innings. He only averaged three strike outs a game against the Yankees so expect the Yankees to put a lot of balls in play.

He had a poor August but had a great September and October. He had a 5-0 record with a 2.89 ERA. His best count is the 2-2 count as well and teams have a .158 batting average after the first pitch 2-2 count.

The good news for the Yankees is that Saunders hasn’t played in the new Yankee stadium yet and the last time he faced the Yankees, they lit him up for five earned runs on nine hits in five innings of work.

Prediction? I don’t know. You have to feel good that Molina is catching A.J. Burnett because Burnett has better stats with Molina catching him. I wrote about that topic last week here.

What I’d like to see happen is Burnett strand runners after he walks batters and pitch six strong innings and then hand the ball over to the rested Yankee bull pen before they have to go to L.A. If the game is close, I’d like to see Burnett pie some one after a Yankees’ walk off.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009