NBA Live vs. 2k10

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by TripTango, Oct 24, 2009.

1. TripTango

TripTango Quick First Step

I am considering picking up an NBA video game for the first time ever, and could use some input. I've read all the reviews, and have gotten the impression that 2k has dominated this rivalry for some time. This year seems to have a bit more balance, but most people still seem to be 2k fans. The screenshot quality seems to favor 2k as well -- the models look crisp and lifelike, while the Live players are a bit more "cartoony".

When I tried the two demos on my PS3, I had a hard time finding any big differences with the gameplay itself. However, one seemingly minor detail stood out glaringly in Live's favor: the crowd noise. I can't believe such a small thing would impact my opinion of the game so much, but 2k's crowds seemed completely robotic. Chanting would start and stop suddenly and sometimes without reason, and the transitions between different crowd "effects" were sometimes unnaturally quiet, like you could hear the game readying the next sound cue. The Live version sounded MUCH more natural and vibrant -- my wife even commented from the other room about how much it sounded like the real thing, when compared to 2k.

So here's my question: does anyone else notice this issue with 2k's crowd noise? Is it better on the full version than in the demo? Am I crazy for considering going against history, reviews, and common sense solely based on a bit of digital garnish like that? Beyond this little issue, any other bits of insight on gameplay between the two titles that might help inform my decision would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. Blazer Freak

Blazer Freak Superstar in the Making

Management
    2k10= Better dynasty and outside gameplay stuff
    Live= 10000000 times better gameplay.

Live has the best gameplay of a sports game I've ever played. when Lamarcus scores you hear the train and they go LTRAINNNNNN and things like this for other players. Live is a little lacking in the dynasty part, but its still playable it just doesnt have the dleague and stuff that 2k10 has.

I'm a dynasty guy, and Live is perfectly fine with me because playing the game is just so much fun this year. In Live the player actually adjust to what you do, if you play a 3-2 zone they will do nothing by drive at you, if you shoot threes they will guard you tight.

Sorry to keep rambling on, but the choice really comes down to what you enjoy more.

3. TripTango

TripTango Quick First Step

Thanks for your thoughts, BFreak! I know it's all about personal preference, but it can be tough to get a solid feel for the full game with only a quarter or two of last year's finals to demo... At least in MY games the Magic whooped on the Lakers in both versions. :ghoti:

4. Legacy

Legacy Beast

2k10!

Live is still the same garbage. It got a little better, but it's still not comparable to 2k yet. The "my player" mode in 2k is fun.