Breaking News

Discussion in 'NFL General' started by Glenso1188, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Glenso1188

Glenso1188 nfl-*****s member

The Super Bowl is actually being played this Sunday in Foxboro at 3 pm, don't miss it! Its the greatest Offense vs Defense battle since the Pats shut down the "Greatest show on Turf" in super bowl XXXVI. Offensive mastermind Tony Dungy (not quite) vs. the Defensive genious Bill Belichick. Pro Bowl / MVP Peyton Manning vs. all I do is win Tom Brady. The Patriots proved they can win in the frigid cold, can the Colts do the same? I think few would argue the winner of this game will go on to win the superbowl. I would think Dawk would disagree but anyone else?

2. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

Umm, kind of counting those chicken before they hatch arent you??? Both the Eagles and the Panthers could beat either of those teams on a neutral site(the Panthers actually beat the Colts in thier dome)....If you think they will be handing out Super Bowl rings this Sunday in Foxboro, you are certainly wrong....

3. Bucs40etrain

Bucs40etrain *********

Patroits have had a wonderful season.
    Next week once again the colts are the
    underdogs. They have nothing to lose.

Right now manning is playing perfect.
    If you were to say in 2 playoff games
    the colts still havent punted no one
    would beleive that.

Just that fact and the fact edrin james
    is running great, id be concerned.

Should be a good one.

4. Steelerfan_2005

Steelerfan_2005 The Peacekeeper XL

Of course anyone can beat anyone at any given time, but I agree with Glenso. I think the winner of the Pats - Indy game will win the Super Bowl.

Now Beef or should I call you Mr. Conspiracy? after last night watching Phili beat Green Bay, the Eagles looked 'destined' to go all the way. Maybe the NFL needs to get a ring for their poster boy. Even if Rush Limbaugh was right about McNabb being overrated, we'll never know if the NFL GIVES a ring to Phili.

5. Thoth

Thoth Sisyphus in training

Of the 4 teams remaining, 3 beat Miami. Naturally, My preference to win it all is Carolina. The Panthers have 3 former University of Utah players. In fact, one scored the winning TD Saturday.

6. bakes781

bakes781 nfl-*****s member

Everyone knew the NFC was WIDE open so the fact that Carolina is still alive while surpising isn't shocking & they could very well beat the Eagles. BUT the other thing everyone knows is that the AFC is far superior this season. The Colts look very much like the Rams of '99. The Pats are even stronger defensively than they were in '01. This is why home field advantage is HUGE for us Pats fans. Defensively we can slow the WRs down by bumping them at the line of scrimmage. Mixing up the scheme is Belichick's forte & he will find a way to fool Peyton into making a key mistake late in the game.

7. Pats37

Pats37 The Next Big Thing

This Matchup will be intresting and the fact that KC didn't punt as well as INDY just gives me more reason to think we will be able to put up the points to match what Peyton can do against us. I'm not saying we are as good on offense as KC but I promise Indy will be punting the ball.

I 'll take Brady late in a close game anyday and We don't have 11 stiffs running around like a chicken with their head cut off on defense. It sure looked that way in KC. Peyton won't have stokely running wild in the middle of the field becasue we have saftey's and depth at corner that all have the ability to cover him 1on1. As for edge he'll get some yards but we'll be able to shut him down enough to keep the play action game from killing us. Our whole defense is as intelligent as Manning so we don't have to worry about getting bated into declaring our postions before the snap every down like KC.

It will be a tough game and as long as we execute on offense we should be able to make enough stops to get it done.

8. Glenso1188

""Both the Eagles and the Panthers could beat either of those teams on a neutral site(the Panthers actually beat the Colts in thier dome)....If you think they will be handing out Super Bowl rings this Sunday in Foxboro, you are certainly wrong....""

""they (panthers) have the right stuff to go all the way to Houston and get shreaded by the unstoppable Manning""

2 quotes from thebeef from two different post. He may feel anyone can win it but deep down he does think the superbowl is being played this sunday.

9. Bearsfan1

Bearsfan1 2 Time Defending FF Champion

i am surprised thatn glenso would want the winner of this weekends afc title game to get the super bowl championship, especially after the colts run over the over-rated patriots

10. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

The key for the Patriots is confusing QBs, easily accomplished when its Fiddler crab taking snaps, but not when its Peyton "Einstein" Manning...If the Patriots cant generate pressure, Manning will have another 150 QB rating game, if they can, its much tougher on him, but no matter what, the Patriots dont have 3 corners to stay with the Colts WR trio...renting space in a QBs mind is that Belichek does best, but Peyton doesnt usually allow any other tennants in his loft

11. Glenso1188

Over-rated Patriots team? Thats the first time I heard that and normally I wouldnt believe it but coming from you bearsfan, well that means a lot. Its not because I respect your opinions but rather that you have recent experience with an over-rated team. Please tell me again how the Bears managed a 13-3 record in 2001? With a bye week and home field they must have won atleast 1 playoff game right? Oh wait, they didnt and they were beat pretty soundly 33-19. Atleast the coach wasnt over-rated, he won coach of the year and since then he must have had another winning season right? Ouch, actually hes been fired. Ok, so maybe the coach and team were over-rated that year but the GM sure did a good job with his first round selection. He drafted the next Randy Moss, the very tall and speedy David Terrell, remember all the hype around him? Atleast the A-train wasnt over-rated after his rookie year because hes continued to build off of that good year...... nope wrong again, he declined and bounced back slightly this year. Just one last question, if the Patriots were to beat the colts for the second time this year and win 14 in a row, are they still over-rated in your mind?

12. Bucs40etrain

Bucs40etrain *********

Getting away from the thread people, we
    all have opinons. Its no suprise the patroits
    are where they are. They are the favorites
    to win it all. Interesting points from glenso
    and pats. Patroits can score when they want
    but remember the patroits d according to
    the last meeting couldnt stop manning til
    the last play on the patroits 1 yard line.

Should be a very close one, i like the colts
    and we all know why [​IMG]

im a dungy loyalist and i wanna see him
    prove to others he's a winner.

13. Pats37

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBeef)</div><div class='quotemain'>but no matter what, the Patriots dont have 3 corners to stay with the Colts WR trio...</div>

I have to disagree Beef. Law and Poole both had fine years and Asante Samuel and Eugene wilson both have had good sucess covering other teams slot receiver man to man. Stokley is a solid receiver who has been on fire the last two weeks but I think our nickle back/Free saftey (one or the other will have responsibility depending on the personel) is alot better than that of KC and Den. If anything the ability of our secondary to play alot of man to man has been the strength of our defense.

14. 4THNLONGFELLOW

4THNLONGFELLOW Chicago Bears *********

Those were some pretty hard words for my BEARS GLENSO, I think i've made up my mind on who I want to see win. GO COLTS![​IMG]

15. bakes781

bakes781 nfl-*****s member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bucs40etrain)</div><div class='quotemain'>Patroits can score when they want
    but remember the patroits d according to
    the last meeting couldnt stop manning til
    the last play on the patroits 1 yard line.</div>

Well if you wanna go by the final box score I suppose you're right. However the 1st half of that game was dominated by the Pats. We had a 21 point lead in the 3rd. Weiss for whatever reason felt it wasn't enuff & continued to air it out instead of running some clock. Brady threw back to back INTs that were converted into Colt TDs. Now up by only 7 Charlie finally decides we better run it now & Faulk coughes the ball up deep in our end of the field. Colts were held to a FG. After another unsuccessful 3 & out Walter kicks an 18 yard punt. Manning takes his team from midfield all the way to the goalline. !st & 2nd down James is only able to get to the 1 after 2 attempts. 3rd down Manning tosses a fade to the corner which is out of reach for the WR. 4th & goal they give it to James a 3rd time & Willie comes around the corner to make the game saving tackle. I'm just pointing out all the fortunate plays that had to happen for the Colts to even be in that game.

16. Pats37

All people tend to remember was the Touchdowns he through that game not how he was aloud back in it. Also everywhere I read is talking about a colts upset. How can it be an upset when most places I go they are being picked?

17. Glenso1188

No disrespect meant towards you 4thnlongfellow. When I was looking at this thread I was about to make a post about that Pats game but Bakes beat me to it, very good points. 2ints, 1 fumble and a punt that was bad enough to be considered another turnover all in the second half. The Pats controlled that game and the only reason the Colts had a chance was because of the gifts we gave them. We may be a 3 point favorite but the way people are talking it feels like we're an underdog.

18. Steelerfan_2005

Steelerfan_2005 The Peacekeeper XL

C'mon, admit it Glenso, you like being the underdog. Proving a point has been the heritage of you & the Patriots. I'm sure no one really remembers the exchange you and I had in 2001 about the Pats not making the playoffs. It was wicked. And I still say Tom Brady saved your season. Or should I say the Defender that knocked Bledsoe out saved your season?

Anyway, the Pats aren't the underdog here. The Manning led Colts have yet to win "the big one" and the Brady led Pats have. People may be awe struck by Manning's performance, but we all know that Defense wins championships. And Indy's defense has looked ragged of late.

19. 4THNLONGFELLOW

4THNLONGFELLOW Chicago Bears *********

No disrespect taken GLENSO, I was just kidding. I have been hoping that this matchup would come again and I believe that it will be a tough win for either team. I really don't have a preference on who wins(sorry) but whoever it is will probably lock up the superbowl. Good luck to both teams!

20. Glenso1188

As an underdog you're expected to lose and its great when you can win. So its def. nice being the underdog but I have no problem with being the favorite. Mo Lewis knocking out Bledsoe turned out to be the kindest thing New York has ever done for us. It was still nice to see Bledsoe have his moment in the AFC championship game as well but it was Bradys team then and will be for a long time.