Nate has a message for some of youIf you don't have a fork and knife

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Sug, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Sug

Sug Well-Known Member

"If you don't have a fork and knife, you can use your hands."
    Consider this the Blazers Harvest Meal Part II​

[​IMG]

2. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

I'm not eating crow. I still hate the lineup and think it will fail if he keeps using it.

3. Wheels

Wheels Is That A Challenge?!?!1! Staff Member Global Moderator

of our line-up what starting 5 do you think is best?

4. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

It's not good (yet) in a halfcourt set. In the halfcourt sets, Miller needs to play the SG and let Blake play the PG. They got it right after two horrible iterations of it in the 4th (the third time being when Blake hit the big three).

Once the wrinkles are ironed out, I think it's pretty strong, especially if the opposing team is a little slower and shorter, like SA is. You're trading SF defense for offensive punch and running.

Plus, any lineup that lets Bayless play Main Offensive Threat off the bench is fine by me.

5. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

I think he got four out of five of the right players on the floor, but if the Blazers play a team with any length whatsover (especially at the wing) there's no way this group will continue to make hay with Steve Blake at shooting guard and Brandon at small forward.

But hey, it seemed to work OK and it gave the team some pop. Personally I thought the second unit with Bayless and Rudy at the guard spots was pretty entertaining.

6. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Take out Miller or Blake and put in Webster.

7. Idog1976

Idog1976 Well-Known Member

I look to the stars.
    PG Miller
    SG Roy
    SF Martell
    PF LMA
    C Oden

2nd unit

PG Bayless/Blake
    SG Rudy/Roy
    SF Outlaw/Rudy
    PF LMA/Outlaw
    C Przybilla

Edit: And I definitely eat some crow in that I thought the lineup would be an instant disaster. Personally I think the win has more to do with Miller and Oden in the starting lineup then the genius of a 3 guard line up.

8. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

The only good coming out of this is Bayless gets to play a little and hopefully carves out a niche or becomes impressive enough to be traded to another team where he can shine.

9. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    This is what I want to see. If Portland is going to go three-guard, I'd rather see units of Miller/Rudy/Roy or Miller/Bayless/Roy.

10. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Once Blake and Outlaw are traded for a protected 1st rounder and an old vet to stash on the bench, you probably will.

11. Idog1976

Idog1976 Well-Known Member

I look to the stars.
    I like both of those as well. Blake and Miller = yuck. Actually just Blake equals yuck. How many blown fast breaks? Oh well we got the W, that's what matters.

12. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

I thought he looked like he knew what he was doing when he was out there, he really didn't force anything and aside from some jitters and the Spurs surprising him a little with a press I think you'd have to be moderately encouraged by what we saw from him -- albeit, the minuscule sample that it was.

13. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Yup. I'm a big Bayless supporter, and his talent is being suffocated on the bench.

14. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    Well, leaving aside what trade involving them should be pursued, I should note that I don't think Blake should have zero role or needs to be traded. I think he's a fine back-up point guard. He does bring a value that Fernandez and Bayless (currently) don't: ability to bring the ball down the court against pressure and the ability to set players up off the bounce. So he's a good reserve to spell Miller.

I just don't think he brings value in a lineup with Miller and Roy...those two have passing covered. He doesn't penetrate and draw fouls like Bayless does and he's not as adept at shooting contested jumpers as Fernandez. So as an "off-guard," he's not valuable...so no point using him in a three-guard lineup, IMO.

15. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    I thought Bayless looked a little sloppy with the ball, but it was nice to see him attacking the rim.

Marty is a frickin' stud.

Greg showed up on National TV with an excellent performance against a first-ballot unanimous Hall-of-Famer.

16. Public Defender

Public Defender brigadier general

asking questions
    I didn't see much of the game, but I think this is a very promising lineup, actually. Are we worried about Brandon Roy not being big enough to play the 3? He's 6'6" and a pretty strong guy. I'm not that worried, especially since the Blazers' next best option - Martell Webster is only 6'7". My feeling is that by the time Batum comes back, hopefully Miller and Roy will have figured out how to make the backcourt work with the two of them, so that Blake can quietly head to the bench, to make room for Nic.

17. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

This is just a way-station on the road to benching Blakey. First you put him at SG, then you need to go big, so Roy starts at SG. That way you don't have to tell Blake he's demoted. Blake certainly can't complain if Roy takes his starting spot.

barfo

18. Nate McBoneHead

Nate McBoneHead Suspended

What is there to eat crow about? The haters have been saying for months that Nate needs to start Miller. Nate finally does that and the team has their best outing. It seems the "haters" were correct and Nate and his supporters are the ones that need to eat crow.

19. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    Kind of the reverse Bubby Brister (no, not the sexual position). When John Elway retired, Shanahan had Brian Griese in mind as his quarterback of the future. But instead of starting Griese immediately, he started Bubby Brister. Then, when Brister sucked, he replaced Brister with Griese. That way, Griese didn't have the pressure of taking over for a legend...he had the much lower stress (notionally, anyway) job of replacing Bubby Brister.

In this case, shift Blake to a position where he can't complain when he's replaced, since at shooting guard, he'll be replaced by the franchise player. That way, Miller doesn't "take Blake's job." Roy does. And no one can object to that.

Shenanigans FTW.

20. ebott

ebott Active Member

We eek out a victory against a meh San Antonio team on the second night of a back to back that lost Tony Parker and everyone should eat crow? I think not.

It's not like any of our problems were fixed. We just happened to win the game against a team that didn't do very well.