Fixing the Hornets

Discussion in 'New Orleans Pelicans' started by MikeDC, Nov 13, 2009.

1. MikeDC

MikeDC Member

Professor
    I was looking at them and trying to figure out what to do. Honestly, they’re the sort of team that needs a desperation trade.

It might suck for them, but man oh man. Peja. Morris Peterson, Posey, Songaila. Lots of mediocrity there.

If I were them, I’d be trying make another trade along the lines of the Chandler for Okafor deal. Get a better player on a still bad but longer deal. Shave off some luxury tax bill to help offset the longer contract. For example:

Wouldn’t the Warriors be happy to be rid of Stephen Jackson and Corey Maggette?

Wouldn’t those guys actually be pretty impressive weapons if they’ve got Chris Paul throwing them the ball?

Yes and yes. So here’s the deal.

* Warriors trade Maggette and Jackson ($16.6M this year, and 18.5M next year). Then ($20M and $21M in the two following years)
    * Hornets trade Peja and MoPete ($19M this year and $20.4M next year). Then their contracts expire.

From the Warriors perspective, you’re paying to move out two guys who don’t want to be there, and to get two shorter contracts (Peja and MoPete only have this year and next), so you create some help for yourself in the long run.

From the Hornet’s perspective, you create more long-term obligations for yourself, but there are several reasons that might cause you to overlook that. First, you simply need more talent. If you don’t get it, CP3 is going to eventually flip out and demand a trade. And he’s the franchise. Second, you’re already over the luxury tax, so your long-term expense (which you have time to do something about anyway) is offset by paying less now. By shaving $5M off team salary this year and next, you also save $5M in luxury tax payments, so you’ve given yourself a total of $10M savings now, in addition to getting much better on the court.

Plus, Paul could run out some fun games with Jackson, Maggette, West and Okafor.