Oden is more important

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Natebishop3, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

In our system, I do not see how it will be possible for Roy to continue to put up 23-25 ppg if we are going to develop Oden as an offensive weapon. We've got Aldridge who could be a 20+ ppg scorer.

I just get this feeling that Roy is clinging to his hopes of being one of, if not, the best players in the NBA. He constantly brings up the LeBrons and the Kobes. Roy is going to have to make a choice. Kobe had to make the same decision not too long ago. Either he is going to try to win scoring titles and MVP's, or he's going to sacrifice numbers and try to win championships.

Greg Oden is more important than Brandon Roy. Oden has shown what he's capable of. I think he can be an unstoppable post presence. Just look at how much he's improved in the last year. Think how much better he'll be next year? If Oden can become a dominant post presence, he will be the catalyst of a championship (or many championships).

How many championships does LeBron have? How many did Kobe get before he added Gasol? How many does Wade have without Shaq? Someone should remind Roy that wing players don't win championships by themselves.

2. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

I agree, in the end, Oden is more important. But he definitely isn't now, or probably next season either.

The team, I feel, is trying to establish Oden offensively. Nate is as well. I notice how after timeouts or at the beginning of quarters, they always go into Oden, but the team tends to stray away from that as the night goes on, and it's up to Nate to remind the team that they have a presence down low.

3. Natebishop3

I agree. Definitely. But I think it's because we're trying to establish Oden that Roy is struggling. I think we are shifting from a wing team to a post team with Oden, and that's why Roy is unhappy. The ball used to run through Roy. If we are trying to establish Oden, the ball will go from the inside out.

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Great Sea Urchin Cerviche

Martell. :)

Yeah, we always knew that championships would rest on Oden's shoulder...although Roy may get the MVPs...Oden is the money man.

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Great Sea Urchin Cerviche

It all comes to my theory that superstar SGs are basically interchangable if you have the big men who can change the game. I said it with Shaq's L*kers that if you replaced Kobe with Ray Allen they still win those rings.....the only anomaly is Air Jordan.

6. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

That has been Nate's philosophy. I recall him mentioning it a few times in pre-game and post-game interviews. I don't think Roy is so selfish that he poo-poos at the idea of the team working through Oden. It's just that it hasn't been working so far. Part of the problem I think, is that the spacing has not been good enough to go inside-out. You can post it into Oden, but the offense will stagnate if players can't hit shots, and so we end up having a lot of bad isolations for Brandon. Miller can't shoot obviously, but Blake and Webster were also shooting pretty badly from outside. We saw how much the game opened up last night when Webster hit a few threes. Once you have both established, Roy will have the freedom to work and Oden can get shots too.

7. Natebishop3

Sadly, Miller was the only guy who would cut to the hoop when Oden was posted up on the block with the ball.

8. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

That's only one play possible out of many. :cheers:

Eventually, I see the Blazers running something similar to the Magic. Post up Howard, and surround him with shooters. Then have one player (Hedo, Carter) who can play isolation when the team needs a basket.

9. RoyIsClutch07

RoyIsClutch07 Active Member

Based on some of his games this year, Greg Oden is slowly becoming the premier player of this team. You're right, he has made huge leaps in his game offensively and defensively he's already a monster. I do think more of an emphasis needs to go to developing Oden further. But at what cost? Roys feelings? McMillans angst? LaMarcus's development? What should be priority number one? I know what it is right now for the organization. But it shouldn't be.

10. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Well, Kobe Bryant averaged 22.5, 28.5, and 25.2 ppg on the Laker title teams with Shaq, who is a much better offensive player than Oden so far, and Wade averaged 27.2 ppg w/Shaq in the Heat's title season.

So, if anything, it appears that Roy needs to score more, and that Oden really needs to step up his offensive game, for the Blazers to win a title. :devilwink:

11. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    He had 3

12. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

Wow, Roy will love that diminished role.

13. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Oden is not, and never will be, Shaq. Plus, when healthy, the Orlando offense went through Jameer Nelson, not Dwight Howard.

I wonder what games people are watching at times.

14. Pontius

Pontius Pitched tents are grody!

Loser
    And Roy is not, and never will be Lebron, Kobe, Jordan, Carmelo, or Wade.

15. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    No, Shaq had three. Kobe was along for the ride.

A while ago I was thinking similar thoughts: maybe Roy will turn out to be like Michael Finley for the Mavs. For a while there he carried them (and, to Scottie's chagrin, got voted to the All-Star team ahead of Pippen). Then he became part of "the Big Three", and then was eventually phased out.

Now, I think Roy is better than Finley was. But Finley was pretty good: in the '99/'00 season he averaged just under 23 ppg, over 6 rpg and over 5 apg, all while playing in all 82 games. Oh, and 1.3 steals.

16. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    How many titles does Shaq have without a dominant wing player?

The same that Kobe has w/out a dominant big man.

17. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Yes. Greg Oden is more important than anything else.

18. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Perhaps, but only because he's not allowed to dominate the ball. :dunno:

Plus, Roy is a lot closer to Bryant, Anthony, and Wade than Oden is to Shaq at this point.

Or, doesn't that matter?

19. Kaydow

Kaydow Well-Known Member

Construction Sales
    How can you say that? Brandon is not playing as well as he did last year, but it's OBVIOUS he has already made the choice to put the team first. He's trying to get other guys in the offense going & taking less shots, & he's playing out of position for the team. Is he frustrated? Probably. But he's not fighting it. Does he want to be considered a great player? What great player doesn't? In Brandon's perfect world I'm sure he scores 25 PPG and the Blazers win the Championship.

I haven't been impressed with Roy's play so far, but I have been impressed with how he's dealing with it all. I have no doubt he's all about winning. If he gets some hardware along the way, I'm sure he won't mind that either.

20. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Seriously? Roy is in his 4th year in the league, he almost single-handedly revived a moribund franchise, and people like you are killing him for it because he hasn't made Andre Miller comfortable. Expectations are great. Ridiculous expectations are, well, ridiculous.