Ellis Scores Career High 45 Points

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Shapecity, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Source: Oakland Tribune

2. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

I like Ellis, but I have a feeling he'll move out of GS in the next 2 years.

3. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Well he signed until 2013 and he's the face of the franchise now. He's been playing out of his mind with Nellie away from the sidelines.

4. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

No way. He was unbelievable last night, now it was the Pacers, but he showed that he's one of the best finishers in the league. What no one will mention is that he was also guarding Mr. All-Star Danny Granger the whole night and he did a nice job there (7-17) as well.

5. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    Last night Ellis looked Iverson-like. He got to the line more than usual, and finished consistently. This is what all of us saw in him, but he was unable to put together. I get a little worried that others will be alienated with the volume of shots he takes at times, but honestly, if the lane is open, take it.

I wonder if the backcourt is big enough for Ellis and Curry...At the beginning, I thought it could work, but I'm starting to wonder now.

6. philsmith75

A Curry-Ellis backcourt is fine, people need to trust Curry and get him the ball and he needs to be more aggressive. Ellis can guard anyone, even Granger it seems. Curry needs to just take the job by the throat, not worry about offending others. He scored 7 at the end of the game with ease (okay garbage time, but still it was done confidently and within the offense.)

7. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Didn't watch the game but there's already highlights up. I think its safe to say the Monta of old is back and given his performance the last few weeks I think its not a stretch to say he might be THE BEST finisher in the entire league (LeBron probably still above him but I'm starting to think hes even better than Wade at finishing at the rim).

I was a little concerned with the lack of assists but looking at the highlights there were a lot of times when Monta clearly could have passed but hes just so automatic going to the rim its a better play for him to go up for the finish. At worst hes getting two fouls, he's probably going to finish, and A LOT of the time its an and-1 play. Plus it seems like the rest of the team was pretty cold, especially at the beginning of the game.

I think the backcourt is plenty big enough with Monta and Curry, Curry just isn't showing very good consistency. I like that hes putting the ball in the cup late in games but hes a little under-aggressive before the 4th quarter and struggles to get penetration. He'll get better in due time as he adjusts to the league and I think if/when he starts doing that you'll see Monta's scoring level off a little more. While I'm sure its nice for Monta to be on a tear and setting career highs in scoring, eventually hes going to NEED someone else to be a consistent scorer beside him. Curry's getting there but hes still adjusting.

8. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    By just taking away from what I saw from the last few games, there's a glaring difference between Iverson and Monta. It's that Monta is defending the other team's top player and doing it well. The other difference is that Iverson has way better handles, but that's beside the point.

Starting with the Portland game, he held Brandon Roy in check. Then the Lakers game, he did a decent job with Kobe, but I think that game Kobe didn't have to do much, but there were times when Kobe was determined to score and Monta did a decent job on him. Finally, yesterday, I think he did a great job on Granger. It sounds like he is asking the staff to defend the team's top player, which is a great sign. Defense is all about desire and effort.

This all being said, Monta still isn't Iverson and that might be a good thing. I think he's finding his own little niche. He's certainly not the diva Iverson is. He showed signs of being one, but something snapped inside of him and now he's like the perfect little soldier for the team.

9. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    I heard the game on the radio and I agree. We need to develop Curry, so he needs more PT.

Monta was all-star like. He could be our first one in years. I hope he's more like Ben Gordon than Iverson.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  10. Legacy

Legacy Beast

I was there, but he wasn't singing autographs like some other players.

Last time I was at a game, he scored 42, this time 45. I tried to start some MVP chants haha.

11. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

Ellis has pretty rapidly moved into the top 10 in NBA scoring (#9 currently), not to mention taking over the #1 slot in steals. Granted, he plays more minutes than most other players, but pretty impressive. When's the last time the Warriors had a player in the top 10 in PPG? Sprewell? I don't think Arenas was the huge scorer he became later while he was in GS. His conditioning will certainly be put to the test tonight in Denver following up that performance.

12. Wild Child

Wild Child JBB JustBBall Member

Hey, you weren't by chance sitting in section 106? I heard MVP chants coming from there, and then some dude in the front of the section that was actually a Pacers fan got all upset and said, "LeBron is the MVP!" lol :ghoti:

13. Legacy

Legacy Beast

Section 108.

I there was a Pacers fan around the area though. Were you there?

14. Wild Child

Wild Child JBB JustBBall Member

Yeah, in section 107. :cheers:

15. Legacy

Legacy Beast

Closest I've ever been to a JBB member haha. Dang.

16. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Ellis is to us as the primetime Stevie Francis was to the Houston Rockets. He's exciting and he's giving us wins, but we need more on our team to be relevant.

PS: Mikki Moore is about the worst rebounding 7 footer I've seen. The quality in the nbdl must have been really bad during the time he got selected as DPOY and nbdl first team... I would imagine somebody like Ben Wallace type numbers back when he was "The Beast/Big Ben".

17. philsmith75

Chris Hunter >> Mikki Moore.

Hunter is the first "big that the W's have found (not a high draft pick or trade) since ... um... George Johnson? They better not blow this one. He's at least as good as Gortat.

18. Legacy

Legacy Beast

Hunter: the next d-league player we bring up that does well.