whose left?

Discussion in 'AFC North' started by Thoth, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Thoth

Thoth Sisyphus in training

First, Lewis gets canned and then Mularkey gets hired as the new Buffalo coach which IMO is was not a surprise considering Donahoe used to work in the Steel City.

Who Cowher will use as his scapegoat should things not work out next year?

Is there any truth to the rumor that Cowher has an extension on his desk & all he has to do is sign it?

2. Steelerfan_2005

Steelerfan_2005 The Peacekeeper XL

I hadn't heard about his extension, but Mularkey will make his 6th assistant coach in 12 seasons to go on to become a Head Coach. He's starting to get Waslhesque.... They are both Bill's... hmmm....

Anyway, I'm guessing Russ Grimm will be the OC unless Chicago scoops him up. I'm hoping he will be anyway. As for the DC, your guess is as good as mine.

And don't you think it'd be tough to win consistantly if your coaches kept leaving?

3. Steelerfan_2005

Ok, after several moments of reflection, I'm relatively annoyed. Why you ask? Well damn! We have no OC, DC, WR Coach, and might lose our TE coach and the possibility of getting Dick Lebeau to Mularkey in Buffalo. Lebeau was a consultant in Buffalo last season. Oh and I forgot Chicago is on the verge of taking our Offensive Line Coach. Ummmm... for a 6-10 team, we are really coveted by most NFL teams. It's amazing. Mularkey turned down an interview with the Raiders for the HC position. What I didn't realize is that he had our offense finish in the top 5 twice in the last 3 seasons. I can see why teams were chasing him.

Oh it might get even worse before it gets better. We could end up hiring bad assistants and promoting our DB coach to DC which would blow my mind.

4. Thoth

It never ceases to amaze how Miami & the Steelers continue to thrive and be consistent.

Who knows maybe next year Wanny will return home to Pittsbugh to be the D Co-ord?

5. Steelerfan_2005

Me either. I don't think that most fans realize how many assistant coaches have come and gone through Pittsburgh to become Head Coaches.

I wonder what Owners see that fans typically don't...?

6. Cowboy71

Cowboy71 Dallas Cowboys *********

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steelerfan_2003)</div><div class='quotemain'>Me either. I don't think that most fans realize how many assistant coaches have come and gone through Pittsburgh to become Head Coaches.

I wonder what Owners see that fans typically don't...?</div>

I think some owners respect certain coaches. Sometimes, they don't necessarily hire someone because they were a coordinator with the best unit. I think smart owners realize that a respectable coach like Cowher should rub off on his assistants. Look around. Why does Bill Walsh have so many good assistants that became head coaches...because they were trained well.

I think this is a good move on the owners part. Why wouldn't you want someone that learned from the top shelf coaches.

Oakland is looking at Carthon and Peyton from the Cowboys simply for the fact that they respect Parcells. I don't know that they are the people for the job, but that's pretty much why they got the interviews. Why Zimmer didn't get mentioned for any head positions is beyond me, though.

7. Thoth

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cowboy71)</div><div class='quotemain'>Why Zimmer didn't get mentioned for any head positions is beyond me, though.</div>

Zimmer was in the running for the Univ of Nebraska job & wisely decided to stay in Dallas.

The departure of Pittsburgh coaches continues. It appears that 1 Steelers coach coach followed Mularkey over Niagra Falls & the DB coach reunited w/ Erickson in SF to be the new Niners D co-ord.

8. Steelerfan_2005

Tom Clements (QB Coach) has followed Mularkey to Buffalo to become their OC. The Steelers are offering Lebeau the DC position and he is to accept that today. It's pretty exciting considering Lebeau was the father of the Zone Blitz and took the Steelers to the Super Bowl in '95. Now as far as the OC position, it looks like Wisenhunt is in the lead for the position. He is the TE coach right now. Grimm will remain the O-line coach & Darren Perry will be promoted from Safeties coach to DB coach. We still need a wide receivers, quarterback, and tight ends coach.
    It's all very exciting!