Tyreke Evans: Wow is all I can say

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SpanishFly, Dec 16, 2009.

1. SpanishFly

SpanishFly Member

as last night was the first time I really got a chance to see this "kid" play. What a physical specimen and he plays with the maturity of someone 5 yrs older. Sac has a gem in this young man.

2. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Yes his jumpinging into the defender and using his length to keep the ball away from him before he lays it in seems un-stopable. Hopefully once he goes throught the league a couple of times teams will figure out a weakness. But for right now he looks great. Definitely demands a double team down low.

3. BLAZER PROPHET

BLAZER PROPHET Well-Known Member

dental malpractice claims adjuster
    Yep, he was very impressive.

4. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

He's good at getting to the rim. He's not a PG, though. I've seen no real PG skills out of him this year. Didn't really get to see any game other than driving.

5. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    I had no idea he was 6'6". Damn.

6. Sex Panther

Sex Panther works every time.

Ask.
    with all the hype Brandon Jennings was getting, Evans got lost in all of that, and is having the better rookie season.

Sacramento should be happy, theyve got a lot of talent on that team.

7. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

LOL. So I'm guessing when you say "this year" you mean "last night" If you get a chance to watch the Kings on League Pass I think you'd be pleasantly surprised with his play-making. He's certainly more B-Roy then CP3, but he does have setup skills, they just weren't really on display last night.

8. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

No, I didn't just mean last night. I mean the other games I have watched of his. As you sort of mentioned, he's more Roy than Paul in the PG department. And less so than that. I just don't see him as a PG long term, don't really see him as a PG at all, really. He's a SG initiating some of their offense, which is just fine. Much the same way we talk about starting Roy, and how it is essentially a mismatch on both sides of the floor, I think they will find things the same way. Unless they're primarily playing someone like Beno alongside him. Not saying he's a bad player, just hear people talk of him as a6'6" PG, and he's a PG as much as Roy is.

9. Wheels

Wheels Is That A Challenge?!?!1! Staff Member Global Moderator

Yeah for some reason I had this mental image of him being a LOT skinnier and less strength. I was very impressed with the kid last night.

10. MrJayremmie

MrJayremmie Well-Known Member

I think he is a PG. I think he is the new generation of PGs. Jennings, Rose, Evans, Williams, Bayless, Harris. I think that those type of quick scoring guards who can defend the PG and bring the ball up is more of what we are seeing. It is just an evolution in the game. No definite position anymore, IMO.

The Chris Paul, Steve Nash, Jason Kidd types are becoming more of the exception it seems. At least those are my thoughts.

11. Sex Panther

Sex Panther works every time.

Ask.
    Not to get sidetracked buuut, Rose is more of a PG than any of those guys listed above. Watch a Bulls game and TRUST ME, you'll know exactly why his numbers are exactly how they are. If they simply had a better team (and trust me, our team is horrendous), Rose can average 9-10 assists per game. He's really passive and only decides to score during the last minutes of a quarters. He's been accused plenty of times of being too passive, actually.

12. MrJayremmie

I think most of those PGs could average 9-10 apg if they wanted to. But they just have a different style of play.

I agree that Rose is closer to a "pure" PG than most of the others listed though. But he isn't quite the playmaker (for others) of a Paul/Nash/Kidd type.

It isn't a dog on Rose. I love Rose. He is one of my favorite players.

13. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

Last night was the first time I've seen him play and I was also very impressed.

14. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Wither Kevin Martin? Sacto must be as reluctant to get him back as Houston is with McGrady. (The three most inessential, highest paid players in the NBA might be McGrady, Martin and Michael Redd.)

Essentially Evans and Udrih are PG and SG, but which is which, I don't know. Evans has certainly resurrected Udrih's career.

Every time I think Geoff Petrie's lost it, he comes back stronger. Casspi is another real keeper.

15. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    I thought that when I watched Summer League - I was really underwhelmed. "Bigger Jarrett Jack", I thought. But I guess he's one of those guys who looks better when surrounded by better players (unlike Bayless [ducks]).

16. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

It's a similar situation here, or was, with Blake and Roy. Blake is more of the SG than Roy is. But that's my complaint. I'm not trying to take anything away from Evans, but it seems some are moer impressed by him because he is called a PG, when he is no different than a handful of other SGs that handle the ball a lot in their team's offense. Labeling him a PG seems to get people MORE impressed than if you just look at him as a G.

17. hasoos

hasoos Well-Known Member

When comparing Tyreke Evans and Brandon Jennings, to me it comes down to consistency. Tyreke shows up solid every night. Brandon Jennings is more of a roller coaster. Sometimes you get a real hot game out of him. Sometimes he is just another player on the floor. They are both good players. Very different styles though.

18. MrJayremmie

I agree that overall this year, Evans has been slightly better than Jennings.

That being said, i'm torn between who i'd rather have playing on my team. I also believe that Jennings may just end up being the better of the two.

But these two players are a phenomenal duo to come out of a draft, IMO.

19. hasoos

hasoos Well-Known Member

Yea that is interesting. Evans definitly came in with a more NBA ready body. I think in about 2 years, we will have a better idea of how they stack up.

20. LittleAlex

LittleAlex Well-Known Member

I am terrified of what Evens will be like in two more years.

If he puts in the work he is going to be a certifiable nightmare for the Western Conference.

That shot he made after Joel smacked him was incredible. The kid is strong around the rim, patient on offense, decent on defense, can pass and has a decent handle. What more could you want?

Nate compared him to Magic Johnson, but I don't see that Evans has that flare that Magic did.

Maybe a career similar to Gary Payton's minus the three years of frustration?