Lovie Smith To The Bears

Discussion in 'NFL General' started by Pack Attack, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Pack Attack

Pack Attack The KISS Army

A fine choice, methinks... I think he'll do a good job.

2. 4THNLONGFELLOW

4THNLONGFELLOW Chicago Bears *********

I hope your right PA, we need all the help we can get. I hope we get some offence now. That is all that is holding us up. Will GROSSMAN be ready to take this team to the top? If so we will need to get an OL for him first, maybe some FA and the draft will produce some. Defence is good. We have VETS and some rookies came on strong for us this year, so hopefully we will be fine there. Will LOVIE try to use a different defensive scheme or will it stay the same? Maybe we can steal some of the RAMS offensive plays! I hope that he can turn this team around for us. GO BEARS!!!

[​IMG]

"I LOVIE WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER"

3. Bucs40etrain

Bucs40etrain *********

4thnlongfellow,

Lovie smith was the best coaching
    hiring besides gibbs going back to dc.
    Lovie smith improved the rams defense
    tremdiously there in his short stay as
    defensive cordinater. Tho mike martz
    and his horrifying play calls and some
    talented defensive players were out, lovie
    did the best with what he had to work
    with there. Chicago will be scary with a
    already in peice defense. One thing
    monte kiffin and lovie smith stressed in
    tampa bay was when you make a tackle,
    they wanna see the whole team there
    tackling the person with the ball.

Wonderful move for the bears, he will
    build a winner in the nfc north. The loser
    in this coach hiring is the rams, who now
    took a big hit and a loss. If people questioned
    there defense now wait til next year.

4. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

I like the move because I think the Bears already have some good defenders that fit the cover 2 scheme....they have Urlacher who is perfect for the cover 2, they lack corners, so the cover 2 will help there, they have good safeties and a pair of good young rush ends, they do need DTs that can provide inside rush, but overall I think they make the transition quickly and improve right off, and for the reccord, Grossman should be thier starting QB or a long time!

5. 4THNLONGFELLOW

I hope you guy's are right and I am excited to get back out on the field to find out. I am pretty sure that REX is the man since he is the only one that I have seen who has spoken about playing for LOVIE and his play calling. I hope that this all works out for the better and my BEARS can take their place back at the top of the division and regain the title of THE MONSTERS OF THE MIDWAY once again proudly!

6. Pats37

Pats37 The Next Big Thing

Lovie will be a fine coach. I'm just glad all these teams are passing up Weis and Crennel again. I'll be happy to keep them together for another year. It's pretty messed up that making a run for a superbowl can actually hurt a coaches chances at landing a head coaching position.

7. Bucs40etrain

Bucs40etrain *********

Pats,

Yep bears need a couple dt's which i
    think they will draft. However this years
    free agency is loaded with secodary help
    its a matter of filling there holes. Lovie
    will take the draft and go all out defense
    alot like lewis did in cincy. It will be excting
    to see lovie smith do wonderful in chicago.
    We wish him much luck, i know we miss him
    here.

8. Thoth

Thoth Sisyphus in training

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBeef)</div><div class='quotemain'>I like the move because I think the Bears already have some good defenders that fit the cover 2 scheme....they have Urlacher who is perfect for the cover 2, they lack corners, so the cover 2 will help there, they have good safeties and a pair of good young rush ends, they do need DTs that can provide inside rush, but overall I think they make the transition quickly and improve right off, and for the reccord, Grossman should be thier starting QB or a long time!</div>

Thanks Beef for bringing up the cover2. In the past I have noted I am not crazy about the cover 2 - that aside.

While I read a few articles on the upcoming transition in defensive scheme, I thought, "its intersting that the Rams takeaways was the most emphasized Defensive stat" and other were mentioned in passing at i.e. rushing defense. Takeaways are important stat but not as important as turnover margin IMO. Neither, however, tell the whole story. Scoring defense is what should matter most.

Except for Tampa's run last year this philosophy has always been susceptible to a strong running game. You just can't beat an aggressive 4-3 or multiple looks. Am I right Eagles & Pats fans?

9. Philly_Freak93

Philly_Freak93 The Oracle

i tought lovie used a unothadox 4-1-6?

10. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

Lovies unothodox 4-1-6 is a variation of the cover 2....1st, let me say that the cover 2 the bucs run is actually a cover 3, they call it cover 2 because the safeties split the deep field into 2 zones, but in reality, the MLB drops deep into the middle of the field to eliminate the ability to attack down the seams...the Cover 2 we see in the league today is a defense that rushes 4 down lineman and drops the rest of the defenders into zones, 3 deep and 4 intermediate, the corners are responsible for the flats and then about 20 yards down the field at the sideline, the OLBs take the underneath zones in the middle of the field, and of course they vary the responisbilities at times to confuse the offense,....Lovie takes out the OLBs and replaces them with better cover players, usually safeties or big corners....by doing this, he gets more speed, but he loses bulk...it worked for him in STL because he had S/LB hybrids like Archuleta....it can work in CHI too because he has LB/S hybrids Urlacher and Holdman(both of whom were safeties in college)...I think he made the change in STL becuase he didnt have the pass rush lineman he had in Tampa....with less rush, he decided he needed players who could cover better, so he invented his 4-1-6, if the Bears get some 1 gap tackles, they may not need to go to the 4-1-6, they already have some good young rush ends...the one thing the cover 2 will do, is cover up the deficiencies of your CBs, because they dont have to play man defense, they just drop in a zone....it allows you to control a running QB as well since all your cover players have thier eyes on the QB at all time, but it hurts your run D becuase your LBs are backing up at the snap into a zone and not attacking the run, it does put a tremendous ammount of pressure on your 4 down lineman, as they are left to rush the passer and stop the run on thier own many times....

11. 4THNLONGFELLOW

I hear the BEARS are getting SHEA, the CHIEFS QB coach to be their OC and are going after the BUCS DL coach to be their DC. Any thoughts on this move? The CHIEFS offence with the BUCS defence, spooky. Looks like LOVIE is making changes already. At least SHOOP is gone.

12. Philly_Freak93

beef i know what C2 is, but i like the 4-1-6 alot better. im a speed over size kinda guy and i think that is gonna be the new WCO of defenses.

13. Philly_Freak93

14. Bucs40etrain

Bucs40etrain *********

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (4THNLONGFELLOW)</div><div class='quotemain'>I hear the BEARS are getting SHEA, the CHIEFS QB coach to be their OC and are going after the BUCS DL coach to be their DC. Any thoughts on this move? The CHIEFS offence with the BUCS defence, spooky. Looks like LOVIE is making changes already. At least SHOOP is gone.</div>

Guys tampas d line coach isnt going anywhere
    the newyork jets called on him two times
    and we told them no. Beef is right some of the
    bucs d was a cover 3 on certain schemes. Basically
    your cover 2 or 3 only works well if you have fast
    linebackers and a good defensive line. The defensive
    line must put pressure on the qb, to force the
    qb into a bad throw, this is where derrick brooks,
    lynch, etc sat and wait. Tampa's dropoff this year was
    due to lack of turnovers. Alot of teams are now
    running the same defenses and alot of teams are
    now evolving to these schemes. When lovie was here
    3 years ago him and monte kiffin came up with
    diffrent ideas. how to confuse qbs and put pressure
    on them. Lovie is missed and with time its effected
    the bucs d. Smith will do a good job in chicago, regardless
    of what defense he installs. He stresses to much, in a certain
    style, that kiffin and dungy and love installed im tampa.

Bears will be contenders like 3 years ago.

15. Steelerfan_2005

Steelerfan_2005 The Peacekeeper XL

If it takes the Bears 3 years to contend, Lovie Smith won't have a job.

16. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

I think he meant they will contend again, as they did 3 years ago

17. Philly_Freak93

SF if i was a bears fan id expect a 8 win season then playoffs the next year. in that crappy division thats pathetic if u dont get that

18. Steelerfan_2005

Sorry Beef, you're right. I misread the quote. I don't think they'll be 13-3 though. I think that's a little out of hand. I'm not sure Lovie is the man. I might have to agree with Dawk here and as of right now (as early as it is) go with an 8 win season.

19. 4THNLONGFELLOW

I may be biased here but I forsee winning the division next year and a playoff appearence........well a guy can dream can't he?[​IMG]

20. Steelerfan_2005

To be completely honest 4th, I really can't predict what a team like Chicago will do with new Coaching personnel. 8-8 is obviously a safe choice considering the situation. I think Chicago has the defensive talent to be 10-6 if Lovie can get them to believe in themselves and run's a system that fits their team skill set. As for the offense, Rex will be the difference maker there. Will he play well, or will he struggle like Boller did this past season? Once again, they have some weapons on offense and used properly, they could get back to 10-6, 11-5, but it's so hard to tell now what impact Lovie will have.

Either way, the best of luck to the Bears. I always enjoy watching underdogs overachieve.