Javier Vazquez back to the Yankees – My thoughts on it

Discussion in 'MLB General' started by YankeesDaily, Dec 26, 2009.

1. YankeesDaily

YankeesDaily Member

So I read at the NY Daily News that Javier Vazquez is back in a Yankee uniform. I’m not sure if it makes the Yankees stronger. He didn’t have a great first go round with the Yankees so I’m not sure how he’s all of a sudden going to be better.

The New York Yankees will acquire the righthanded pitcher from the Braves along with lefthanded reliever Boone Logan, sending Melky Cabrera, lefthander Mike Dunn and righthander Arodys Vizcaino to the Braves.

Vazquez is a proven innings eater, throwing 198 innings or more in each of the past 10 seasons, topping 200 in nine of those years. Vazquez, who has reached double-digit wins for 10 straight seasons, also has struck out 200 batters in a season five times in his career, including each of the past three seasons.

That doesn’t mean much to me. If I remember correctly, he didn’t pitch well in the clutch in a Yankees’ uniform. Now who’s going to play left-field? Is Scott Boras feeling better about this trade? I bet he is. Maybe we’ll see Johnny Damon back in pinstripes which is a good thing.

The Yankees gave up Melky, Mike Dunn and Arodys Vizcaino. I know that Arodys Vizcaino was ranked pretty high in the Yankees’ farm system.

I like Melky arm and defense and I like the potential of Arodys but Yankee prospects haven’t always worked out in the past so I’m giving Cashman the benefit of the doubt here.

Joba will most likely be back in the pen which I do like because I feel he’s better in the pen than being a starter and one injury to Mariano Rivera and he’s the man, in my view.

Maybe this is a desperation move because the Red Sox signed Lackey.

Here’s the question: Does the Vazquez trade make the Yankees’ rotation worse or better in 2010?

2. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

This absolutely makes the Yankees better. He's a strikeout pitcher (good thing in the AL East) and he's going to chew up innings to allow our BP some rest here and there. He also has turned his career around in some ways over the past few years - he's been A LOT better than what he was with us. And really...who on our current roster would you rather have at the 4th starter? I think Joba and Hughes are both going to be better out of the BP, personally. He fills a huge gap in our starting rotation and he's a very, very, very good pitcher for that 3rd or 4th spot.

3. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

And as for the issue in LF...Melky won't be that hard to replace. He didn't cover as much ground as you think and while his arm was good, his lack of production at the plate counteracted that. If we can bring in a Mark Derosa or someone like that, we'll more than replace his offensive and defensive production.