4th and 26

Discussion in 'NFL General' started by Philly_Freak93, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Philly_Freak93

Philly_Freak93 The Oracle

IS THIS the new "the catch". montanas was great but this was more unbeliveable. i think that its the new greatest playoff moment, but knowing how all the national medie(wilbon, woody paige etc.) hate the eagles, it will probably go down as just another play.

did anybody be rembered of TOs catch in the wild card game a few years ago were he dropped like 6 passes all game, then caugh a TD in the dying seconds to give the 49ers the win over the packers. darren sharper was the guy who was supposed to be covering TO and Freddie, and they were both slant routes over the middle, and both long yardage. after i saw the replay that play came to me right away. thats the play i think that made TO a star that he is now

2. Pack Attack

Pack Attack The KISS Army

Dude, let it go... This will only become the new "the catch" if Philly both reaches AND wins the Superbowl, neither of which is likely to happen, if you ask me.

3. Philly_Freak93

haha, time will tell. but seriously did any1 see the TO catch all over.

4. Pack Attack

Unfortunately, yes. That's the first thing I thought of when it happened. The nightmare continues...

5. Steelerfan_2005

Steelerfan_2005 The Peacekeeper XL

I really don't see that catch living on as one of the "greats". It wasn't a Touchdown like Clark's was. It was only one play of several that won the game for Phili. It wasn't a TD on 4th down with 1 second left. It was a good play, but not one that will live forever as a top 5 play.

6. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

and the catch wasnt spectacular, it was a pretty routine grab on a post route, it just happened to be 4th and 26, but when they show that on NFL films, it will only be spectacular if they set up the scene, which they dont have time to do, Dwight Clarks catch was the game winning TD and the film of it was exceptional....

7. Philly_Freak93

it kept the game alive, i mean think about it 112 remaining, down 3, 4 and 26. without that we lsoe. great play. great pass, i mean go out and look 26 yards, its really far and to gun a ball, and be that accurate is a amazing thig, but to take a hit, bobble the ball and hold on is another.

BESIDEWS YOUR IGNORING MY TO COMPARRISION, IAM I THE ONLY ONE THAT SAW THAT PLAY AND WAS LIKE THATS LIKE THE CATC TO MADE AGAINST THE PACKERS AND DARREN SHARPPER IN THE WC GAME A FEW YEARS AGO. I CANT BE THE ONLY ONE

8. Steelerfan_2005

26 yards to a pro like McNabb? It's not that far Dawk, let's not get carried away.

9. Philly_Freak93

how many plays are designed for 26 yards thats not hail marys.

i guess no1 thought that play was like TOs catcha few years ago. o well i guess im the only 1 that saw it

10. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

lots of plays have a route or 2 designed to cover 26+yards....deep corners, streaks, posts, they all cover more than 26 yards, and atleast one WR is running one of those on about half the plays....hell, Moss runs those almost exclusivly(mix in the screens and slant they throw him too)

11. Philly_Freak93

beef, AR has like 2 plays in the whole playbook that throw the ball over 15 yardss. the streak to pinkston/thrash to start a game, then the 4 and 26 play. thats all AR has shown over the last 5years.

THAT WAS A TO like CATCH.

12. Steelerfan_2005

Of course no one is talking about TO's catch now, so maybe it is a TO like catch.

13. Philly_Freak93

SF, you know the game im talkin about, i think in 98(the year the falcons went to the SB) when the 49erw were down really late in the 4th, and TO dropped 6 passes all day, and then it was like 3 and long and steve young nailed TO on the goaline and TO bobbled it and was hit by sharper but held on to the ball. o well just ignore this post

14. Steelerfan_2005

No, I remember the catch, but I'm just saying that it's not on the tip of football fan's tongue.

Do you remember in week 17 when Ahman Green broke a 98 yard TD? That was a great play, but will people remember it? No. Why? Because of the impact it lacked.

No the "catch" has more impact than Green's run, but it still needs to be "The Play" to be remembered forever. And it wasn't of that calibur. That's all I'm saying.

15. Philly_Freak93

if the eagles win the SB, or just win to,m. that should go down as a top 5 postseason play.

16. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

A few years ago Lamar Smith broke off a 20+ yard TD run in OT to beat the Colts, on the play, he broke multiple tackles and to this day, its one of the greatest runs I have ever seen....to a Dolphin fan, it will always rank high on the list of playoff memories, but does anyone else around here remember it??? Not likely, so although you will go to your grave telling your grandkids about that catch, its not gonna rank all that high on the avg football fans all time list...in fact, Steve Smiths catch and run in St Louis already outranks it in my mind....

17. Steelerfan_2005

It's funny that you mention that game Beef. What I remember the most about that game is that Lamar carried the ball 40+ times. And for a RB to carry the ball 40+ times in a post season game, it's just impressive. And I do remember that run more vividly than the catch in Phili and that was a few years ago.

And it's not like I'm a Dolphin fan.

18. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

Top 5 postseason play??? Ill name 5 right now that were better without even thinking(in no particular order):

1.The Immaculant Reception
    2.The Catch
    3.Elway Super Bowl Dive vs Packers
    4.John Mackey's tipped pass TD
    5.Any of Lynn Swanns Super Bowl Ballet catches
    6.Marcus Allens TD run vs the Redskins

theres 6+(how many Swann cathces were there?) and I didnt even stop to think about them

19. Pack Attack

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pack Attack)</div><div class='quotemain'>Dude, let it go... This will only become the new "the catch" if Philly both reaches AND wins the Superbowl, neither of which is likely to happen, if you ask me.</div>

Well, I hate to say "I told you so," Dawk, but "I told you so." Tough loss.

20. Cowboy71

Cowboy71 Dallas Cowboys *********

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBeef)</div><div class='quotemain'>Top 5 postseason play??? Ill name 5 right now that were better without even thinking(in no particular order):

1.The Immaculant Reception
    2.The Catch
    3.Elway Super Bowl Dive vs Packers
    4.John Mackey's tipped pass TD
    5.Any of Lynn Swanns Super Bowl Ballet catches
    6.Marcus Allens TD run vs the Redskins

theres 6+(how many Swann cathces were there?) and I didnt even stop to think about them</div>

If you look at the plays that had no impact, you will not usually find one that sticks out in your memory. However, Don Beebe and Leon Lett have to rank up at the top of that category.