United Football League Brings Professional Football To Sacramento

Discussion in 'Other American Football' started by Alan Shore, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Alan Shore

Alan Shore Member

The City of Sacramento will become home to the United Football League and its California franchise when the league's second season kicks off in the fall of 2010.

The team, which played two home games in San Francisco and one in San Jose as the California Redwoods during the 2009 UFL Premiere season, will relocate to Sacramento for all five 2010 UFL home games, giving local football fans a team they can call their own.

Led by Head Coach and General Manager Dennis Green, the team will play at Hornet Stadium at Sacramento State when the new season kicks off in September.

The UFL is inviting football fans to suggest their favorite name for the Sacramento team and announced a 'Your Town, Your Team, Your Name - You Make The Call' promotion being run in association with Northern California's Sports Station KHTK 1140 AM. Fans can visit the official league website www.UFL-Football.com to take part in the naming contest.

United Football League Commissioner Michael Huyghue, team owner Paul Pelosi and Head Coach and General Manager Dennis Green were formally welcomed to the California state capital by Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson at a press conference at the Citizen Hotel in Sacramento on Wednesday.

"Sacramento is a natural home for the UFL in that it is a major market that we believe will support a professional football team and we are excited to be here," said UFL Commissioner Huyghue. "We are bringing sports fans in the area an exciting and high-quality product on the field at an affordable price and hope they will embrace the team who will become a part of the local community."

Team owner Paul Pelosi, said: "I was born and raised in Northern California and for the last quarter century have built strong personal and business relationships in Sacramento. I am excited for the opportunity to bring professional football to Sacramento and we look forward to being part of the community and appealing to sports fans in the area."

Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson added: "Welcoming a professional sports team to the city also means welcoming a positive focus for the local community. Whether it comes in the form of economic impact, the creation of jobs or simply the buzz from your city's team winning football games, the opportunity to have a Sacramento franchise in the United Football League is an exciting proposition. I personally look forward to seeing the team in action at Hornet Stadium."

As the California Redwoods, the relocated team posted a 2-4 record during the inaugural 2009 UFL season and running back Cory Ross led the league in rushing with 462 yards.

"I am excited that the team will be able to call the city of Sacramento home," said Head Coach Dennis Green. "When I coached in Northern California I won a Super Bowl ring during my time with the San Francisco 49ers and I hope to bring championship success to the people of Sacramento and the fans of the team."

Sacramento State President Alex Gonzalez said: "We are pleased to welcome the United Football League to our campus, and we are already seeing the benefits of our partnership. Thanks to the UFL, we are installing a new playing surface at Hornet Stadium without using state General Fund money. The field will allow Sacramento State to use the stadium for additional academic and student activities, as well as give us the opportunity to use it for other regional sporting events."

Football fans eager to learn about ticket information for UFL games in Sacramento can call an information hotline: 916-233-4870 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 916-233-4870 end_of_the_skype_highlighting. Messages can also be left regarding partner and sponsorship opportunities, player personnel, future staffing, media relations and general inquiries.