Supreme Court Nominees

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by bluefrog, Apr 12, 2010.

1. bluefrog

bluefrog Go Blazers, GO!

Programmer
    I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on this but it will be interesting to see how the nomination and subsequent confirmation hearings play out.

Who will Obama nominate? Someone on the left? Someone left of center? A Centrist (Does one exist)? Or he could go rogue and nominate someone of the right!

2. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

Rumors are it may be Hillary

He will pick someone on the left for sure

3. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    It won't be Hillary, she's way down on the list.

I didn't complain at all about the Sotomayor nomination, and I doubt Obama will pick anyone I'd have a hard time with. I tend to respect all the justices, no matter who picked 'em.

Two of the top-tier three nominees widely mentioned for the job – U.S. Solicitor General Elena Kagan and Merrick Garland, a U.S. Court of Appeals judge – are relatively non-controversial and have a good track record with Senate conservatives, Hill Democrats say.

A third, 59-year-old Diane Wood, is a passionate judicial defender of abortion rights who has clashed with conservatives on the Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit in Chicago and is the one short-lister likely spark a serious battle.

One possible pick that seemed to be gaining steam on Friday was Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm, whose term expires at the end of the year, although she would be likely to face conservative criticism for her abortion rights stance.

Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, a favorite of some liberal groups, is considered long shot, in part, because of her clashes with Republicans over the Christmas Day bombing attempt.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0410/35604.html#ixzz0kwP6igIA

4. BLAZER PROPHET

BLAZER PROPHET Well-Known Member

dental malpractice claims adjuster
    I'd be surprised if Obama made a centrist pick. He has a lot of political payback for the passing of his national health care plan. And part of that will probably come from picking an elitist liberal.

5. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    The Senate has the responsibility to advise and consent, but IMO if the Justice is qualified, only in extraordinary cases should the President be denied his choice. I think dinging Harriet Meirs was an excellent move; it was an appointment that was an insult to the Supreme Court. I think Hillary Clinton would be an equal insult. On the other hand, denying Judge Bork was a sham.