Palace Baltimore's Teixeira Among Top Players Of Decade

Discussion in 'Americas' started by truebluefan, Apr 22, 2010.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Val Teixeira has been given an honorable mention by USLsoccer.com, the official website of USL, as one of the best and most influential USL Second Division Players of the past decade. Teixeira, 33, made his USL-2 debut in 1999 and is currently in his third season with Crystal Palace Baltimore. The versatile Portuguese veteran served as the club's captain in 2008 and 2009.

Palace Baltimore President Pete Medd spoke about Teixeira's achievement: "He is one of the more talented players I have come across over the years; he's a pure footballer. He plays with a lot of passion and he has managed to stick it out for an incredible period of time. I noticed him right away when he was playing for New Hampshire when we played against them in the first year and I thought he was one of the best players in the league, so we went after him. I know it means a lot to him to be recognized, and he should be recognized because he has been one of the best players in the USL''.

Jim Cherneski, Palace Baltimore's head coach commented: "Val has extreme passion for the game and a lot of physical talent, including that magical left foot. He's worked hard over the years and I've know him for a long time. Though he's not an out-and-out striker, he's scored a lot of goals during his career. He's also very versatile - he's played a lot of positions: left back; center back; left wing; striker. This recognition is well deserved."

"It is a great pleasure and an honor to be named one of the top players of the decade in USL-2," Teixeira remarked. "When I started in '99, it was a totally different league. It used to be called the A-League back in the day and then it changed to USL-2. I have played with a lot of top players in the league and I've learned a lot from some of the best. It's thanks to those guys that I've learned and I always try and do my best when I play. I'm just happy that the USL staff recognize the type of player that I am. I still want to prove to a lot of people that I am still able to play at the top level and perform well every time I step on the field."

Teixeira joined USL in 1999 where he played for the Rhode Island Stingrays and scored 11 goals in 75 appearances. In 2004, he made the move to the New Hampshire Phantoms and in a three year spell the Portuguese native went on to play 68 times and score eight goals. In 2008, Teixeira joined Crystal Palace Baltimore and was an integral part of the team's success in the league and the US Open Cup. In his two seasons playing in USL-2 for Palace, the left-footed forward scored nine goals in 38 games. Prior to arriving in the US, Teixeira played for Benfica Juniors where he started his career. He also had a loan spell at English League Two side Chesterfield in 2008 and scored a hat trick on his debut for their reserves.

The full list of top USL2 players of the decade can be seen at http://www.uslsoccer.com/home/414885.html