NASL:RailHawks, Mexico tie 1-1

Discussion in 'Americas' started by truebluefan, Apr 26, 2010.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

The RailHawks played the Mexico National Team to a 1-1 draw at WakeMed Soccer Park on Sunday night.

Carolina forward Andriy Budnyy scored for the game's first goal in the 45th minute, but the RailHawks saw their lead disappear in the 53rd minute on an own goal.

"I thought it was a good game, a lot of good technique from both teams," said Carolina coach Martin Rennie. "They were a lively team with good players and they moved the ball well. Defensively, I thought we did a good job of shutting them down. It's another step toward building our team for the season. We've got a lot of work to do, so it's nice to have a game that didn't count in the league."

The RailHawks were outshot 13-5 for the game, including 11-1 in the second half. However, most of those shots came from distance, and Carolina goalkeeper Nic Platter needed to make just one save.

Though the RailHawks' looks at goal were limited, they nearly got on the board early in the first half. Forward Gregory Richardson made a daring run down the left flank in the third minute. He shed several defenders along the way before firing a shot on goal from 12 yards away that was saved.

Unfortunately, that was the last time Carolina threatened Mexico's goal until moments before halftime. In the 45th minute, Budnyy drew a foul at the edge of the penalty area. As he was preparing to chip the ball over the wall on the restart, Matt Watson made an overlapping run that pulled a defender out of the wall, prompting Budnyy to instead fire the shot on goal. Mexico's four-man wall jumped to attempt to block the shot, but it went under them, caught Mexico goalkeeper Alejandro Dautt out of position and skipped by his outstretched hand.

"I changed the shot at the last second," Budnny said. "I'm just glad it went in."

Mexico evened the match in the 53rd minute off a Carolina own goal. A ball was played into the penalty area, took a funny hop then deflected off defender Mark Schulte and into the net.

"It was just a fluke," Platter said. "It happens."

Mexico took 11 of their 13 shots in the second half, but Platter was pressed into action only once. In the 63rd minute, Mexico midfielder Daniel Hernandez hammered a shot from 20 yards that forced Platter down to his right and he parried the shot away.

Carolina nearly struck from the game winner in the 89th minute. Cory Elenio put his head on a Josh Gardner corner kick, but the header went just over the crossbar.

The RailHawks will play their next two matches on the road before their next match in Cary. On Saturday, May 1 they will face the Rochester Rhinos at Marina Auto Stadium in Rochester, N.Y., and they will travel to south Florida to take on Miami on May 8. They return to WakeMed Soccer Park on Friday May 14, when they will face the Tampa Bay Rowdies.