2nd round pick

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by CohanHater, Apr 28, 2010.

1. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    We've all spoken in depth about the 1st rounder what if....

How about the 2nd round pick. I believe the Warriors are picking 35th.

I'm thinking a decent stretch pick would be Alabi from Florida St.

He needs a ton of work, but I think he could be a decent fit in a year when Nellie steps aside.

Edit:] Looks like some mock drafts have him in the top 20 now..Any Ideas of guys that may slip?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  2. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

I tried to give it some thought, but I think it's too early to do this without me commenting on basically 10-15 guys. It will be easier to narrow down once workouts start, because that's where teams get into contact with the players they like and give rumors about promises. Being lazy and using DX's mock on 4/26 as a guideline, I'd say at a glance that I'd draft any players listed there in the first round except Willy Warren. Among players not listed in the first round, I'd also consider Kevin Seraphin (if he doesn't withdraw), Artsiom Parakhouski, and Darington Hobson. There are probably more players I'd think about, though.

3. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Haven't been able to keep up with college ball nearly enough to make too many great picks but some names I'll throw out right now:

Brian Zoubek: Really good size, decent rebounder, plays smart, pretty tough. Not skilled but can finish well, has good hands, can shoot FTs, and positions himself well.

Lance Stephenson: Don't know a ton about his game but hes got a lot of potential and had a good freshman campaign. He would be a project but could pay off very well down the road.

Dexter Pittman: Not very tall but has great strength and length. Pretty athletic for his size. Decent inside game and solid finishing ability. Not a great rebounder but good. Think Craig Smith.

Jerome Randle: Cal star but I think hes got good NBA potential. Short and not a great leaper but very quick, good handles, probably a better ball handler and floor general than given credit for. Got really good assist numbers in Portsmouth. Lightning quick release with NBA range from day 1. Could be a good backup PG who provides energy and an offensive punch.

Luke Harrangody: Very Glenn Davis like. Skilled big man who dominated in college but will only be a good reserve in the league. Underrated athleticism and, like Big Baby the athleticism lies more in the mobility considering their size and strength than in explosive leaping ability. Undersized but smart, skilled, relentless, mobile.

Don't think Bledsoe will slip but I like his talent even if it is redundant on our club. Pondexter, Willie Warren, Devin Ebanks are all also probably too talented to pass up should they slip. Not a huge fan of those three but in the second round I would take them just based on talent.

4. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

I like Randle, but I kind of feel like he'd be a downgraded version of Watson. He's my top pick for a point guard after Wall or Bledsoe in this draft.

Stephenson I'd definitely stay away from, he's been under the radar for a very long time, which have revealed too many question marks. He sizzled as a high schooler because he was physically ahead of his peers, but stagnated because of a questionable work ethic, which manifested in some bad decisions in high school off the court, and on the court, poor ball handling, lazy defense, lack of composure and streaky 3 point shooting. Could he prove me wrong? Possibly, but 5 years of being misled and mishandled makes him a difficult case to crack.

I'd rather draft a big, so I hope that Damion James, Alabi, Larry Sanders, Gani Lawal or Seraphin is available, but at least one draft site or another has each of them drafted before #35. The common thread between these players are that they are all good rebounders with good size and athleticism that have demonstrated that they should be capable defensively at the NBA level.

5. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

6. CohanHater

Enterprise Architect
    I have a cousin in Florida that wouldn't stop talking about Alabi. Which is why I brought him up. Apparently, he has all the tools. He's raw, but his hands are ok and he plays defense well. He says that today he's a poor man's Mutombo crossed with a poor mans Dalembert. He has some raw hook moves, can block shots like crazy and run the floor. His ceiling is very high though, if he can develop a touch around the rim, the guy can be a freak. Probably a nice 3 year prospect that can come in and contribute in situations now.

Don't know anything about Raduljica, though

7. CohanHater

Enterprise Architect
    1 more thing on Alabi...he shot nearly 80% from the FT line last year. That usually means that he can develop a mid-range shot.