Rivet to have shoulder surgery, will miss start of next season

Discussion in 'EAST: Metropolitan Division' started by truebluefan, Apr 29, 2010.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Craig Rivet hadn't even finished cleaning out his locker for this season when the Sabres' captain announced he'll miss the beginning of the next one.

Rivet has a double labrum tear in his left shoulder and will undergo surgery after another consultation with doctors, he told The News and a correspondent from the Olean Times Herald. The recovery time is four to six months, so the defenseman will not be available when the Sabres come to training camp in September for the 2010-11 season.

Rivet suffered the injury Nov. 29, 2008, when he was hit by Montreal's Guillaume Latendresse. He played just three games over the next five weeks in an attempt to heal the injury.

"I was stuck with this exact same decision last year," Rivet said of the surgery option. "Ultimately, I wanted to try and fight through the injury and not have the major surgery. The doctor said, 'It’s just going to be your decision because you’re going to have to deal with the pain and that type of thing.'

"The pain could be dealt with, but when I think it’s taking away from your game and how you want to play, I think right now we need to go the other route and make sure when I do come back next year I’m able to perform the way I should."

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres...r-surgery-will-miss-start-of-next-season.html