OT: Canzano named nation's top sprts columnist by Society of Professional Journalists

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by tlongII, May 3, 2010.

1. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/or...f/2010/05/john_canzano_named_nations_bes.html

2. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Re: OT: Canzano named nation's top sprts columnist by Society of Professional Journal

Ha! bow down, haters.

3. BGrantFan

BGrantFan Suspended

Re: OT: Canzano named nation's top sprts columnist by Society of Professional Journal

Congrats to Canzano. As a daily subscriber to the Oregonian, I feel lucky to be able to read his columns, considering the dreck I've had to read in other markets.

Keep up the good work, John!

4. ABM

ABM Happily Married In Music City, USA!

Commercial Real Estate

4 of 5 of those entries appear to be non-sports-related?

5. BGrantFan

BGrantFan Suspended

They are all sports related.

6. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst

Really? Which ones?

7. <-=*PdX*=->

<-=*PdX*=-> RCTID

Yeah, enlighten us.

8. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Ding ding ding! We have a winner.

Gossip and soap-opera. Wild speculation larded with pop psychology and puritanical hornswoggle.

9. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer

At best, the one about the punch is sports-related. The others are human interest stories, IMO.

10. BGrantFan

BGrantFan Suspended

They are all "sports related". I guess you'll have to set up your own organization for the "Analytical X and O Sportswriting Award", or even "Best Game Coverage Award".

Human interest can still be sports-related, but if I'm correct, you don't live here, right? So, these stories likely have no meaning to you, while they meant a lot to the people who live in Oregon.

Bottomline, Canzano wins a major award, while frustrated anonymous posters on the internet gnash their teeth and find a silver-lining for themselves.

11. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

I live in Oregon and these stories meant fuck all to me.

12. ABM

Commercial Real Estate

Goody for him. And I also say goody for you for enjoying your hand-delivered O, along with your Folgers crystals drink.

13. BGrantFan

BGrantFan Suspended

Good for you. I feel otherwise. Canzano wins a major award; you post hypothetical polls on the internet that make no sense.

Who is the real winner today?

14. BGrantFan

BGrantFan Suspended

Costco Guatemalan blend, my friend.

How are those columns not sports-related?

15. ABM

Commercial Real Estate

They may be. But, then again, so are you and I.

16. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer

They can happen to touch on sports. Athletes happen to have personal lives, too. Sometimes good/bad things happen to fans of a team. That doesn't make it sports journalism, IMO.

I never commented on whether "they have meaning" to people. I'm sure the stories had lots of meaning to people. Human-interest stories here have meaning to people, sometimes even to me. Having meaning is not the same thing as being sports journalism.

I can't say I care enough to gnash my teeth. I was simply giving my opinion that he apparently won a sports journalism award for his non-sports-related articles. Which, I'm sure, were quite good. I find his sports-related articles to be pretty poor. But his sports-related pieces don't mean enough to me to make me gnash my teeth. Probably because I don't live there. If I lived there, I'm sure Canzano would be a source of great life depression for me. :)

17. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Well, perhaps they meant a lot to some people who live in Oregon. But I'm with Nik.

I'm not frustrated, it's not an award I care about. But I can find some silver linings:
    1) Maybe some bigger city newspaper will finally hire Canzano away, since he's the nation's top sports columnist and all.
    2) With circulation dropping like a rock, the Oregonian will be gone in a few years anyway.

barfo

18. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst

Canzano is a good writer. I often disagree with him, but he's still a good writer.

19. BGrantFan

BGrantFan Suspended

You don't care, you seemingly have trouble with the idea of "sports-related column", yet you then go on to say he would be a source of depression if you lived in Oregon.

Oh, the anonymity of the interwebs. I love that aspect of it, obviously. ;)

20. BGrantFan

BGrantFan Suspended

I thought the articles on Katie Shearer really captured what the Blazers mean to this city, even for those who were about to die. I guess it meant "fuck" to me.

Perhaps I should become more jaded and post lame polls on the internet about a topic that nobody cares about.