Raiders File Grievance Against Former #1 Pick (Guess Who?)

Discussion in 'AFC West' started by Shapecity, May 27, 2010.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

The Oakland Raiders have filed a grievance against former quarterback JaMarcus Russell(notes) seeking repayment of $9.55 million, the team confirmed Thursday.

The grievance is based on the contention by the Raiders that the contract was changed at one point during Russell’s three-year stint with the organization and that he’s not allowed to keep all of the money he had collected prior to his May 7 release. Russell, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2007 NFL draft, was guaranteed $32 million as part of a six-year contract reportedly worth $68 million.

“We have filed a grievance against JaMarcus Russell and that’s all we’re going to say at this time,” Raiders attorney Jeff Birren said.

Part of the guaranteed $32 million was originally in the form of salary advances for the 2010, 2011 and 2012 seasons. A portion of those salaries is in question, according to the grievance.

“The money in question was fully guaranteed. That is why JaMarcus was forced to hold out and miss all of training camp as a rookie,” Metz said. “The Raiders know that and this is our only comment.”

Russell will be represented in the grievance by the NFL Players Association.

Source: Y!Sports

2. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    Al Davis can't let it go.

I remember when he blasted Lane Kiffin for not believing in JaMarcus.

3. Shapecity

Every owner will be watching this case. They must have something on JaMarcus to file this grievance.

4. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

It sucks that Al is so shameless. If he's half as embarrassed as me then he'll just let it go and for the love of christ never think of Jamarcus again. Just cut it ALL off.

I don't really understand how we can get any money back that we already gave to him. If we handed it over to him in the alloted time period which his contract dictated then its his right?

5. Shapecity

I don't know, but Al has a good track record of winning in court.