Blackhawks: One Goal, Achieved! 2010 Champs.

Discussion in 'WEST: Central Division' started by DP, Jun 11, 2010.

1. DP

DP He shoots, he scores!

[​IMG]
    Blackhawks: One Goal, Achieved! 2010 Champs.

What a night we had in Philadelphia and back home in Chicagoland. An overtime winning goal scored by Patrick Kane. Defensemen Brian Campbell (51) passed the puck to Winger Patrick Kane. Kane skated up to the right of Flyers goaltender Micheal Leighton where he shot the puck and put it in the net, literally. At first there was no whistle, no goal signaled by the officiating crew, but Kane knew what he did, and he knew the Chicago Blackhawks were once again Stanley Cup Champions.

Lets look back at the regular season a bit. The Blackhawks did very well in free agency before the season by signing Marian Hossa to a 12-year contract worth 62.8 million dollars as well as Tomas Kopecky, John Madden, and Richard Petiot. Both Kopecky and Madden played Chicago while Petiot played some here in Chicago and majority of the time in Rockford. The Blackhawks resigned Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews to contract extensions worth $31.5 million over 5 years, and Duncan Keith to a 13 year extension worth $72 million on December 1, 2009. There were some problems early with restricted free agents, like Kris Versteeg, but the issue was taken care of when all the players were resigned.

On April 6th 2010 the Blackhawks set a franchise record with their 50th win of the season against the Dallas Stars. The next night they set another franchise record with 109 points, ending with a total of 112 points with a record of 52-22-8.

The Blackhawks won in six games against their first playoff opponents, the Nashville Predates, a division rival. Their next opponent, the Vancouver Canucks, winning in six games to head on to sweep the San Jose Sharks. The Stanley Cup Final was between the Chicago Blackhawks and the Philadelphia Flyers. This was their first appearance since the 1992 season with their last win coming in '61.

Game 1 of the Stanly Cup Final was in Chicago where the Blackhawks won 6-5. Troy Brouwer (07:46 - 1st) , Dave Bolland (SHG, 11:50 - 1st) , Patrick Sharp (01:11 - 2nd) , Kris Versteeg (09:31 - 2nd) , Troy Brouwer (15:18 - 2nd) , Thomas Kopecky (08:25 - 3rd).

Game 2 was also taken by the Blackhawks at home winning 2-1. After the high scoring Game 1, Niemi and Leighton both stepped up, but Niemi stepped up stronger. Marian Hossa (17:09 - 2nd) , Ben Eager (17:37 - 2nd)

Game 3 was in Philadelphia where the Flyers took home ice advantage and won 4-3. Duncan Keith (02:49 - 2nd) , Brent Sopel (17:52 - 2nd) , Patrick Kane (02:50 - 3rd)

Game 4 the Flyers continued their home ice advantage and won 5-3. Patrick Sharp (18:32 - 1st) , Dave Bolland (PPG, 12:01 - 3rd) , Brian Campbell (15:50 - 3rd)

Game 5 was back in Chicago, where they took their game to the next level winning 7-4. Brent Seabrook (PPG, 12:17 - 1st) , Dave Bolland (15:26 - 1st) , Kris Versteeg (18:15 - 1st) , Patrick Kane (03:13 - 2nd) , Dustin Byfuglien (PPG, 15:45 - 2nd) , Patrick Sharp (16:08 - 3rd) , Dustin Byfuglien (EN, 17:55 - 3rd)

Game 6, the clincher for the Blackhawks in Philadelphia. Dustin Byfuglien (PPG, 16:49 - 1st) , Patrick Sharp (09:58 - 2nd) , Andrew Ladd (17:43 - 2nd) , Patrick Kane (04:06 - OT).

The series was taken and the Blackhawks won with the goal I talked about earlier from Patrick Kane. The Flyers and Blackhawks formed a hate rivalry between the two. Chris Pronger was a big target of this. Chicago Tribune gave him the nickname Chrissy Pronger and a skirt. Chicago Tribune Image. My friends gave Scott Hartnell the nickname Viking, because he looks like one with his beard. There was also a lot of hate towards the officiating on some calls that Chicago thought should of been called. People were keeping count on missed calls, I was myself. The game winning goal by Kane was pretty crazy. I stood up and stared at the TV, wondering if it was a goal or not. My one friend, Dan, said it was, and then the goal animation popped up on the TV. I turned around and started to celebrate with my friends. After not using the bathroom the whole game, I ran straight to it after celebrating a bit with my friends. When I was done we watched the news and saw the streets of Chicago being swarmed, it was nuts. Afterwards we all chilled and had a good time.

Now back to Chicago. Friday June 11th, the Blackhawks parade and rally took place. I was there myself with some friends of mine. A lot was going on in the area. First thing when I arrived at the parade route was where should we stand? We started to walk down Washington Street in the loop. Just a block down from CBS 2, we found a nice spot to sit. Almost right up against the road. There was a group of ladies infront of us. After a while blow up soccer balls were being hit around. Some losers knocked the balls into the streets where cops would be nice and threw it back towards us. The ball bounced behind me and some lady grabbed it and held it. I was like, boo, but then once I saw her give it to her son and watched him hit it into the air, I cheered. People above in the buildings made their own confetti. There were some really crappy made pieces. It was like they tore up newspapers and threw them out the win. More annoying them anything. But there were some nice pieces from another group. Perfectly cut up pieces of white paper were being snowed down upon us. After a while it got annoying but it was alright. The parade started late due to official team photos were being taken at the United Center. The parade arrived and the cheering began. the Blackhawks Camaro drove past and a louder cheer went out. Some random buses went by and the cheering grew louder. Then the legends rode by on top of the buses and it was very loud which were then followed by the Blackhawks team and the Stanly Cup. I remember a few of them looking in the direction of me and my buddies. Coach Q looked in our direction and I noticed something odd, he was smiling! Emotions from Coach Q, awesome. After the buses went past we stormed the street and followed where we finally reached the intersection of Randolph and Michigan. As Eddie O announced the players, coaches and training staff, cheers went out through the crowd. Later on Chelsea Dagger played, and the street echoed the do's, and doot's. It was a blast being there, will be top 3 in my list of do's this year.

Heres some extras I forgot to post the first time. Chants echoed the streets, like "Fuck you Detroit!", "Go Blackhawks!" and "Lets go Hawks!". "Fuck you Detroit" made me bust up laughing.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
    huevonkiller likes this.
  2. DP

DP He shoots, he scores!

It's pretty crazy how there were also an estimated 2.7 million people there. The Blackhawks were overwhelmed.

3. RookieS2

RookieS2 Member

Student
    Blackhawks will be once again a contender next year,this team is ready for more and eager for more.

huevonkiller likes this.
  4. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    Great thread, repped.

5. DP

DP He shoots, he scores!

yes, the Blackhawks have a lot of talent. Looking at some free agents, John Madden and Kim Johnsson will be two of the top 50 free agents in the league. Next year will come later on, right now every Blackhawks fan is living in the moment.

Thanks huevon. =D

6. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    What a great season!

Kim is over the hill, but Madden will be an excellent pick up for a third or fourth line. I'm still hoping we can dump Campbell in order to make some room. I highly doubt anyone will take on his bloated contract, but here's hoping.

7. DP

DP He shoots, he scores!

I would think dropping Campbell would really hurt us on Defense. I don't trust a lot of our guys on D, and I trust him. One of my favorite defensive players.

8. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    I think he's a good player, but he isn't worth 7 million + on the cap. Dropping him allows us to re-sign up to three players, maybe even four depending on how much everyone wants.