The Party continues in Chicago, but what will the Blackhawks do?

Discussion in 'WEST: Central Division' started by DP, Jun 13, 2010.

1. DP

DP He shoots, he scores!

NHL.com Article

Niemi, Madden and Ladd can all be free agents. Burish might be leaving the organization because rumor is he wants more money. Toews get more money, Huet is wasting cap money. Tradeing Patrick Sharp, Dustin Byfuglien or Kris Versteeg would make me pretty upset as well. We need Buf infront of the net. Steeger does great at his spot, and Sharp gets some awesome goals.

2. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    The way I see it, if we drop Campbell we can keep Sharp, Byfuglien and Verteeg or at the least two of them and then sign a few guys back. Huet is impossible to move, but we may be able to loan him out to the KHL otherwise he'll just be dropped to Rockford not to count against the cap. That leaves us with plenty of cash to spend. If Burish and Eager want too much I say let them go and let Beach and Skille move up. I don't want to see anyone go, but that is the harsh reality we have to face ...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  3. DP

DP He shoots, he scores!

I wouldn't be to upset seeing Eager and Burish leave. I agree with that. In my opinion we can't let Sharp go.

4. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    I agree about Sharp all the way.

5. DP

DP He shoots, he scores!

John Madden: Chicago Blackhawks- $2750000-- UFA:: F
    Andrew Ladd: Chicago Blackhawks- $1550000-- RFA:: F
    Ben Eager: Chicago Blackhawks- $965000-- RFA:: F
    Adam Burish: Chicago Blackhawks- $712500-- UFA:: F
    Colin Fraser: Chicago Blackhawks- $700000-- RFA :: F
    Kim Johnsson: Chicago Blackhawks- $4850000-- UFA:: D
    Niklas Hjalmarsson: Chicago Blackhawks- $643333-- RFA:: D
    Jordan Hendry: Chicago Blackhawks- $625000-- RFA:: D
    Antti Niemi: Chicago Blackhawks- $826875-- RFA:: G

Here is a list of free agents the Blackhawks have. Madden, Ladd, Hjalmarsson, and Niemi are must sign players. Johnsson, and Fraser would also be nice pick ups, but the 4 I listed earlier need to be signed first. Hendry, Eager and Burish are the last three that I would like to be resigned, everyone else is more valuable imo. And if Burish and Eager want more money, we can have a problem.

Heres some more FA I found. Boyton is a must re-sign imo.

Bryan Bickell: LW
    Danny Bois: RW
    Nick Boynton: D
    Mike Brennan: D
    Evan Brophey: C
    Mark Cullen: C
    Jassen Cullimore: D
    Nathan Davis: C
    Kyle Greentree: LW
    Adam Hobson: C
    Kim Johnsson: D
    Richard Petiot: D
    Danny Richmond: D
    Jean-Claude Sawyer: D
    Jack Skille: RW
    Hannu Toivonen: G

6. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    If Eager and Burish want too much money I would prefer that they move on to new teams. I'd love to bring John Madden back, but based on the cap restrictions we'll have I don't know if it will be possible if he's still earning over 2 mil. We do need him though, especially if we can't re-sign Colin Fraser, who I really want to return.

I read that Antti Niemi's agent is pushing for a lucrative long-term deal to the extent of a Keith type of deal. This would not be a good decision for the team. We definitely have to sign him, but I wouldn't agree to a long-term deal. I also agree about Hjalmarsson, as he's a major part of the organization.

I remember when Kim Johnsson played for the Flyers, he was one of the better defenders in the league. When he moved to Minnesota his game went out the window and I personally would not re-sign him. I don't see him contributing much to the Hawks organization. I also doubt he'll take much of a pay cut from his previous bloated contract. He'll probably go back to Sweden I bet.

Nick Boynton on the other hand would be great to have back. I wonder if he'll even cost as much as the Ducks were paying him before they traded him. If not, then we definitely need to bring him back.

I'm also looking at some other defenders that will be UFA this Summer. Depending on how much cap room we can make and what is needed, there may be some quality players available. Dan Hamhuis doesn't look likely to re-sign with Nashville. If we have the room, I'd like to sign him. I also wouldn't mind shot blocker Jay McKee if he'll sign for the 800 k he was being paid at Pittsburgh. Injury problems are a question though ...

Jack Skille is one of those youngsters I expect the Hawks to re-sign, especially since he hasn't been proven yet and likely won't cost much.

How do you see the Hawks working within the cap to hold on to certain players and fill the roster?

7. DP

DP He shoots, he scores!

I like your points here. I don't know what the cap is at for the hawks and the situation we really are in.