Chicago Blackhawks Future. What can it look like?

Discussion in 'WEST: Central Division' started by DP, Jul 9, 2010.

1. DP

DP He shoots, he scores!

[​IMG]

After the amazing season where the Chicago Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup Final against the Philadelphia Flyers, the Blackhawks started their off season celebrating. But quickly the Blackhawks orginization ran into a problem, the deeded salary cap. During the season, the Blackhawks signed Jonathan Toews and Jonathon Toews to $6.300M deals extending into 2015. Marian Hossa scored a $5.233 deal extending into 2021. Dave Bolland signed a deal earlier worth $3.375 till 2014 and Patrick Sharp's deal worth $3.900M till 2012. Brian Campbell has a $7.140M deal till 2016 and fellow blueliner Duncan Keith will get $5.551M till 2022. With these players solidly set in contract things look good, for them. Not for Ladd, Byfuglien, Versteeg, Sopel, Eager, Burish, Fraser who all were traded. The Blackhawks did get some nice players from the trades and some from free agency. The first is big defenseman John Scott who is about 250 and 6'8. The second big name is forward Viktor Stalberg, who may be Versteegs replacement. We recived veteran Marty Reasoner and defenseman Ivan Vishnevskiy from Atlanta.

Things are looking grim for the two big remaining free agents, Niklas Hjalmarsson who revived a deal worth $14M over four years from the San Jose Sharks. Goaltender Anti Niemi may be receiving $15M for four years with the salary arbitration he filed for earlier. If we sign Hjalmarsson then I don't think we can have Niemi. If we don't match the offer for Hjalmarsson we can call up Shawn Lalonde from Rockford. If we let Niemi go we can sign G Jose Theodore or G Marty Turco and bring up Corey Crawford from Rockford. I am not happy with this situation. I do like Niemi more than Hjalmarsson. Ivan Vishnevskiy and John Scott can round out the blueliners if Hjalmarsson does go to San Jose. I am scared on what will happen in the follow seven days.

Lets look towards the prospects, free agents and minor league players. Who can the Blackhawks call up and play in replace for these fan favorites? Bryan Bickel, who played with Toews and Kane during the Stanley Cup Playoffs, Jake Dowell, who may be the new Ben Eager, and Jack Skille, who has lots of potential and is one of the favorites in Rockford. Kyle Beach also has an opporunity to play in Chicago if he proves himself during the Blackhawks Prospect Camp that is going on now. He fought today, against his roommate! During his Twitter Interview today Beach responding to a question about pressure grabbing a spot on the Blackhawks roster. "The Blackhawks have a great core: a great captain in Jonathan Toews and great players like Patrick Kane, Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook and Patrick Sharp. They were a really tight-knit bunch this year, and hopefully I can join that core this coming season." Like I said earlier, Shawn Lalonde can be called up to play on the blue line. Jassen Cullimore is currently on the Blackhawks active roster. He has the talent and has been in the league for a long time. He is 37 years old. A replacment for Sopel, but not Hjalmarsson.

I am unsure of the future. But with Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharp, Brower, Bolland, and Kopecky remaining on offense and Seabrook, Keith and Campbell all on Defense, I think the best can come out of this depression. I really do hope Niemi stays in Chicago. Losing any player sucks, this is tough even thinking about. Hawks 2010 team will be different than the 2009 team.