Philadelphia Soul Return To Arena Football League

Discussion in 'Other American Football' started by truebluefan, Jul 12, 2010.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

After a two-year hiatus, a revitalized Philadelphia Soul franchise is poised for a triumphant return to Arena Football League competition in 2011, it was announced today by the local ownership team of Craig Spencer, Ron Jaworski, Pete Ciarrocchi and Cosmo DeNicola.

"We are thrilled to reward our fans with the return of a stronger, fiscally stable Philadelphia Soul franchise," said Spencer, an original majority owner. "While we shared the frustration of every fan when the league shut down, we also believed it was essential for the sport's long-term success. Today's announcement is further testament to that belief and that the league is back and stronger than ever."

The 2011 regular season runs April through July leading into the playoffs and ArenaBowl in August. The Soul, which returns to play home games at the Wachovia Center, capped their previous five seasons with an ArenaBowl XXII championship in 2008, defeating the San Jose SaberCats, 59-56.

"We are bringing back to our incredible fans the most exciting, fan-friendly and affordable brand of football in America," said Jaworski, an original owner and current ESPN Monday Night Football broadcaster. "My partners and I are committed to putting together a championship team for this great city to be proud of."

The AFL canceled its 2009 season, ending a 22-year run. The new version of the AFL launched in April 2010 with games televised nationally by NFL Network every Friday night at 8 p.m. ET. NFL Network will carry Soul games next season.

"What a thrill to join such passionate and committed owners to bring back the championship tradition of the Philadelphia Soul and all of the great family entertainment it provides," said Ciarrocchi, owner of the legendary local sports bar Chickie's and Pete's.

"The excitement is already building as we kickoff the return of the Soul and its special brand of 'Philly Ball.' I am personally thrilled to be part of a championship program and partnering with the greatest ownership group in Arena Football," said DeNicola, a Philadelphia native and former owner of the Wilkes Barre/Scranton AF2 franchise.

"The AFL is pleased to welcome the Philadelphia Soul back to the Arena Football family," said Commissioner Jerry B. Kurz. "The passionate fans of Philadelphia and the surrounding area as well as the tremendous ownership group epitomize Arena Football and the league's continued commitment to the communities we serve."

The current 15-team roster includes: the Arizona Rattlers, Alabama Vipers, Bossier-Shreveport BattleWings, Cleveland Gladiators, Chicago Rush, Dallas Vigilantes, Iowa Barnstormers, Jacksonville Sharks, Milwaukee Iron, Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz, Orlando Predators, Spokane Shock, Tampa Bay Storm, Tulsa Talons and Utah Blaze.

Original Soul owner Jon Bon Jovi said, "I will not be part of the ownership group due to my focus and attention being on the current Bon Jovi worldwide tour, but I have fond memories of my experience with the Soul and especially our 2008 ArenaBowl championship season. I continue to be a fan of the team and want nothing but continued success on and off the field for the Soul."

Fans are encouraged to log on to www.philadelphiasoul.com, to sign up to receive the latest news and updates on the Philadelphia Soul.