Bulls in talks for Fernandez. Not very serious talks though

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by truebluefan, Jul 27, 2010.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Bulls in talks for Fernandez

The Oregonian reported Tuesday night that the Bulls are among three teams engaged in trade talks with the Trail Blazers for swingman Rudy Fernandez.

Fernandez, long rumored to be available, also is being linked to talks with the Celtics and Knicks, the paper reported, citing Fernandez's agent, Andy Miller.

The Bulls still are seeking to add outside shooting for their 12th contracted player after witnessing an underwhelming workout from Tracy McGrady on Monday. The Bulls also have had conversations with representatives for shooting guards like Keith Bogans, Roger Mason Jr. and Eddie House, sources previously told the Tribune.

The Bulls have been offering 2009 first-round pick James Johnson all offseason, although the Trail Blazers have shown little interest in Johnson in the past and other parts would be needed to make those salaries match.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...-0728-bulls-chicago--20100727,0,4190684.story

2. FatJerry

FatJerry Member

Re: Bulls in talks for Fernandez

A trade that might work is for us to simply give up our 2011 1st round pick .

It would be between 18 and down which is fair for Rudy IMO

I can't see how the Knicks could offer up a better package unless they gave up Wilson Chandler . I don't think they can trade the rights to their pick next season anyway

Celts got nothing and haven't the cap room to absorb him outright

I mean if the Blazers really wanted someone back in return they could pick who they want in free agency ( that's left ) we sign and trade that person for Rudy straight up as well as offering up our 2011 1st

There is a deal to be done if we want it

3. truebluefan

I dont see the Blazers taking JJ and the pick. That is what I have read the deal is. They didnt trade him last summer to us when we tried to get him. Hinrich would have been in the package at that time.

I would love to have Rudy on the team, but I dont see it happening.

4. MikeDC

MikeDC Member

Professor

I think there's a couple problems here. The big problem is we don't want the deal.

KC Reports
    To make that deal work, the Blazers would have to add in one of their younger prospects like Cunningham or Pendergraph. The Blazers don’t want to pay $1.7M to JJ to do nothing. They certainly don’t want to pay him to do nothing and then also have to give up a prospect. And not even get a pick out of it.

The Knicks are still under the cap. They can simply offer a future first rounder and be done with it if the Blazers don't want someone like Chandler. Because that’s probably what the Blazers really want. A pick.

Likewise, the Celtics aren’t under the cap, but they could send a couple of their recently signed second rounders who are probably on NG contracts anyway.

So basically, I'd predict one of those teams gets it done, because we're not making serious offers. Taking Rudy under the cap and giving them a future first is a serious offer.

Offering them no pick, but instead asking them to pay the salary of a player they (and we) don’t want, as well as asking them to give up a young big man to make the deal work, is not a serious offer.

It’s the offer equivalent of giving them the finger.

5. truebluefan

I have read on some of the other Bulls boards, where some bulls fans want to trade Taj for Rudy. No way! Taj will be important off of the bench this season.

I am not against trading Taj, just not for Rudy.

6. truebluefan

Mikedc, cant we just add a pick and absorb his contract?

7. MikeDC

MikeDC Member

Professor
    Yes!

Agreed. First, I don’t know that Rudy is a known commodity. If we get last year’s version of Rudy, we’ll be sorely disappointed. Worse still, he’ll get mad and leave, and we’ll have given up a good young (OK, it’s Taj) big for one year of SG.

So basically, we’re guaranteed up to 4 years of Taj, and we know that’ll give us 25 quality mpg or so. And we need that, because Asik has never set foot on an NBA court and Kurt Thomas has been on one for way too long. And Boozer and Noah have both had their injury issues.

So I think it's pretty vital for us to have Taj or a guy like him that can be pretty solid and be guaranteed to play a lot up front.

With Rudy, we’ve got very divergent outcomes. Maybe he steps up, and we get 3 years of very good play at a low price, but maybe he’s not that good. Or maybe he goes back to Spain. Those are real possibilities. So I give him a low chance of being a really good full time starter (say 20% that he’ll be a 30+ mpg guy, and split the rest that he is 25 mpg or that he either gets mad and leaves after a year, or is really not that good).

So basically, that’s an 80% chance he’s the same or worse than Taj. But he currently plays at a position we have more depth at. There is some upside though.

By the way, I think X Henry is likely to be a decent player, and he could be a very good player. Plus, he’s locked in at a low price for 5 years, which is important to consider for a team that’s going to be capped out regardless and won’t be able to easily replace assets that don’t turn out. He's a guy I'd trade Taj for, and take my chances with finding another big.

So basically, I’d rate the three out like
    1. Henry. Least proven, but I think he’s actually got the best chance to be a full-time, very good NBA starter. In short, highest ceiling. Floor is probably not much lower than the other guys, but you do have to figure he’s not great as a rookie. But he’s locked in for the longest time.

2. Taj. Least upside, but size is scarce, and we wouldn’t have an obvious replacement. Plus, he’s obviously not going to be a bust. He’s demonstrated he can play. And he’s locked in for four years.

3. Rudy. Lots of risk here. In two years, he hasn’t broken out, and he could get mad and quit. He’s got tempting talent, but you have to figure he hasn’t forced his way into a lineup after two years in the league. At best you’ve got him for three years, but if he doesn’t do well enough by his own subjective standard, he might bolt and leave you with a hole you can’t fill.

8. truebluefan

Good post Mikedc

You would trade Taj for Henry? I wouldnt. And I like Henry. I would love to have him on the team.

I would include Taj in a trade for an impact player. I dont see any such trades being leaked by the Bulls FO.

I assume we could absorb Rudys contract. The fact that the Bulls haven't dont it and want to trade tells me they want him, but not at all costs so to speak. Want to stay as low as they can with the left over money.

9. FatJerry

FatJerry Member

If you included Taj in any trades who is going to be Neil Funk's regular blow ?

I was thinking about simply giving up our 2011 pick which is about all they will get from Boston - but Boston have to send a piece back to make it work and Portland take on salary

I see we have the best deal to offer but maybe we just don't want him and would prefer a vet for the role we have in mind

Perhaps the view of Rudy is that unless you can are willing to give him 25 minutes a night he's going to be a bitch and he's not worth the drama

So in this sense House, Mason or Bogans give you no problem for the role you have in mind

Except , we don't have potential long term piece at the 2 as a starter and Rudy is at worth at least being considered along these lines , although , I too prefer Xavier Henry and would be willing to offer up more in a package to get him

Maybe .....

Mike Conley goes to Portland with Bulls 2011 2nd round pick

Patrick Mills , Rudy Fernandez , and the rights to the Bulls Charlotte pick go Memphis

Xavier Henry's rights go the Bulls

10. truebluefan

FJ we could give up just a pick. That makes me wonder why we are adding JJ as well. Save money? Get another player besides Rudy?

11. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    I'm pretty sure we have the cap space to absorb Rudy's $2.1M contract.

For MikeDC - maybe Rudy didn't have as bad a season as it seems. He shot a miserable .378, but his TS% was .540. 2/3rds of his shots were 3pt attempts, and he shot a fine .368. He can play some SF, too. 82games.com says the PER against him was 14.3 at SG, though he was playing against 2nd stringers most of the time.

12. bullshooter

bullshooter Active Member

What is the difference between Rudy and Korver other than 5 years and different salaries? I have a feeling Portland is holding out for more than a pick. Boston's 2012 pick is almost guaranteed to be in the teens somewhere which would be more than fair for Rudy. Does anybody actually know what the bulls have offered, or are we just assuming the worst as usual...

13. MikeDC

MikeDC Member

Professor
    Yes I would, and the reason why is that nobody is going to trade an impact player for Taj. However, under the right circumstances, they might trade a potential impact player for Taj. Henry is a potential impact player. The Bulls can't be short-sighted about what they're doing (I currently think they are). They need one more big gun. Henry, a year down the road, could be a guy who busts out and becomes the third wheel sort of player we're going to need.

Is it a sure thing? Nope. But he's got a shot at doing it, and without taking a chance on someone like him, the Bulls have no shot whatsoever at getting that guy they so desperately need to put them over the top.

14. truebluefan

Sam Smiths talks about Rudy. Said Bulls in a good position to get him:

http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/asksam_100726.html

Sam: From what I've heard it's in Portland's hands now for what they want. I've heard the Bulls have a pretty good shot, but nothing matters until it's done. Let's not overstate Fernandez, who always has sounded better than he has performed. But he'd be an excellent addition, and as I wrote Monday the No. 1 guy I'd still pursue.

Sam: As I've said previously, Fernandez would be my first choice to effectively finish the roster with a shooter. I know fans are most excited with offense, but it would be too much to give up Gibson. He's a very good defender at his position and can make a shot. He's a good team player and hard worker and willing to play a role off the bench. He'd be more difficult to replace than you think and far better than Pendergraph, whom I have not heard available, anyway. You can move in Taj if Boozer misses some games, which he always does. Giving up a first would be fair to me for a guy the Trail Blazers cannot use because they have Wesley Matthews. But the Bulls continue to try from what I have heard.

Sam: It's also a reasonable scenario, though I also have gotten no firm indication the Trail Blazers want Gibson. I've never been much of an Amundsen fan, seeing him a lot in Phoenix as a fan pet who came in, threw his body around and never accomplished much. Gibson is hardly an untouchable, but I've heard Portland's main interest is a No. 1. I cannot be see giving Gibson and a No. 1 for Fernandez, but as I said I've heard the Bulls have a strong shot and may be the leader in the clubhouse now for getting Fernandez, though we know it's not a deal until it's a deal.

Sam: Too many good players should not be an issue for the Bulls. Though the point you get to is valid. Rudy was a pain when he didn't get enough playing time and Nate McMillan said with a player like Rudy he has to play a lot to get into rhythm or isn't very useful. That's right, sometimes if it seems too good to be true it is. Which is another reason you don't disrupt your team and give up rotation players.

Sam: We here in America just want to do right by immigration. Yes, you have a point as despite the huge outpouring of 'We Have to Have Rudy' emails I've gotten, I have heard he's been a bit of a turd at times. He's just not as experienced at it as McGrady and is healthy, which McGrady doesn't seem to be. If McGrady pouts again, that's all you get. If Rudy pouts again, you may also get some good play, though it also is why I don't want to give up too much. Nate McMillan is one of the better coaches in the league and I hear doesn't want any part of him. After all, they loaded all that money on Wesley Matthews to make Fernandez expendable. The irony for Chicago fans lusting for Rudy is in Portland the fans feel the team fell too much in love with Rudy and now has blown it as they won't get much and should have traded him a year ago before he flopped in the playoffs when given real playing time for the first time after complaining and whining for two years. Sound familiar? So we'll go with the new situation theme for Rudy being a steal for the Bulls and a poison for the Blazers, who have been a pretty smart organization. The interest isn't foreign romance as the Bulls history with international players is awful. It's a guy with a live body, experience and skills who is 25 and healthy. And you know we love yelling, Rudy, Rudy, Rudy in the Midwest.