Landon Donovan scores the 100th goal of his MLS Career

Discussion in 'Americas' started by agoo, Aug 1, 2010.

1. agoo

agoo Member

Todd Dunivant was taken down in the box and Landon Donovan stepped up to score the penalty, giving him the 100th goal of his MLS career. Donovan is the sixth guy to score 100 goals in MLS history and the second fastest to do so as this was his 220th match. Donovan scored a second penalty in the 3-2 loss to draw level with Twellman on 101 career goals.

Donovan joins Taylor Twellman (fastest to 100, needed 174 matches), Jaime Moreno, Jeff Cunningham, Ante Razov, and Jason Kreis in the MLS Century Club. Donovan's teammate Edson Buddle is the next closest to 100 with 85 goals in 219 appearances.

2. agoo

agoo Member

And Taylor Twellman is talking shit on Twitter...well sort of.

Congrats to @landondonovan on 100 goals bud.....must be nice having pks hahahahhahaha just kidding A GOAL is A GOAL. @MLS

a little bragging for me tonight...not only fastest to 100 but I did it with ONLY ONE team...@NERevolution...most proud of that!

What a loser I am bragging about myself HAHA disregard that text. I just had a word with myself. My bad peeps

Nothing really serious. For those wondering, Twellman suffered a neck injury and serious concussion in a match against the Galaxy in 2008 and made just two appearances (scoring twice) since then. He has been placed on season-ending, injured reserve this MLS season and has started calling matches (and doing pretty well) on ESPN.

3. agoo

agoo Member

And for a part of the story that I missed, Sean Johnson made his professional debut in goal for the Fire. Johnson was behind Brian Perk on the depth chart for the US U-20 in the last Cup cycle. Perk was recently released by Philadelphia Union. Perk might have been a better keeper at the youth and college levels, but a five inch height difference and superior athletic ability will allow Johnson to be better at the professional level.

4. Colonel Ronan

Colonel Ronan Continue...?

Control Center analyst
    Wow, he is the biggest douchebag.

5. agoo

agoo Member

He actually got slammed pretty well by his followers and apologized for his comments. And part of it is that in terms of MLS history, he's never really mentioned, despite his ridiculous goal scoring record.

6. Colonel Ronan

Colonel Ronan Continue...?

Control Center analyst
    I called him an attention whore?