Club Deportivo Chivas USA

Discussion in 'Americas' started by EPJr, Aug 20, 2010.

1. EPJr

EPJr Producer Staff Member Producer

Chivas USA and Chivas de Guadalajara set for second ChivaClásico
    [​IMG]

Losing to your older brother in anything burns deeper than most losses. But Chivas USA will get a chance to avenge their 2009 loss to their Mexican hermano, Chivas de Guadalajara, when the two sides face off in a friendly next month.

Announced on Thursday, the second ChivaClásico will take place on Tuesday, Sept. 14 at San Diego’s PETCO Park, home of Major League Baseball’s San Diego Padres.

Chivas de Guadalajara are Mexico’s most successful club. They have won 11 league titles and boast a roster of stars, including Mexican internationals Omar Bravo (recently signed to join the Kansas City Wizards in January), Jonny Magallón, Adolfo “Bofo” Bautista and Alberto Medina.

The last time the two Chivas sides squared off, last year at the Rose Bowl, the Mexican club walked away 2-0 winners, thanks to a brace from Omar Arellano. For the Americans, revenge is in order. The friendly will be the second on Chivas de Guadalajara’s tour of the US.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/chivas-usa-and-chivas-de-guadalajara-set-second-chivaclásico

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  2. EPJr

New CUSA Coach

[​IMG]

Real Salt Lake knew that sooner or later there was going to be an MLS team that would take former assistant Robin Fraser to be its head coach. That moment finally arrived on Tuesday, as Chivas USA named the former Galaxy player as their new manager.

“We’re extremely pleased he’s gotten this opportunity,” RSL manager Jason Kreis told MLSsoccer.com. “He’s been in contention last couple of years and occasionally felt hard done by that he didn’t get the opportunity sooner.
    [​IMG]
    “It’s well-deserved and no doubt he’s going to be fantastic head coach in the league. He leaves a gaping hole in our staff and we have to address it in fairly short order.”

The hole is even greater given that Fraser will also be taking along the club’s director of the RSL-Arizona youth academy, Greg Vanney, who will now serve as Chivas USA assistant.

Since Fraser was under contract with Real Salt Lake, the two Western Conference clubs have reached an agreement for minimal future considerations, according to RSL GM Garth Lagerwey.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/kreis-fraser-leaves-gaping-hole-rsl

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  3. EPJr

Re: Chivas v. Chivas

[​IMG]

Chivas USA and Corona Extra Announce Major Sponsorship Agreement

One of the world’s leading beer companies teams up with Major League Soccer club in multiyear deal; Full details of agreement will be unveiled at a Feb. 16 event in downtown Los Angeles

CARSON, Calif. (Tuesday, January 25, 2011) – In a landmark agreement between Club Deportivo Chivas USA of Major League Soccer and Grupo Modelo, the leading beer company in Mexico and one of the top brewers in the world, Corona Extra has become the presenting sponsor of Chivas USA. The multiyear agreement will see the logo of Corona Extra, the leading brand in Mexico and the top imported beer in the United States, on Chivas USA team gear, as well as having a significant and visible presence at Chivas USA’s home games and other events.
    [​IMG]
    Corona Extra has been the number one imported premium beer in the US for more than a decade and is the top imported beer in 50 of the 170 countries in which it is currently present. Grupo Modelo is known for its sports sponsorships not only in Mexico but all over the world, and made for a natural fit between the Mexican-owned Chivas USA and Corona Extra, a premium beer known the world over as a symbol of Mexico, quality and great sports.

Full details of the agreement will be unveiled at a February 16 event in downtown Los Angeles. More information on the celebration will be made available in the coming days

http://www.cdchivasusa.com/news/201...ona-extra-announce-major-sponsorhip-agreement

4. EPJr

Moreno vows to give full commitment to Chivas
    [​IMG]
    Forward hurt, but not bitter, about trade from Philadelphia

This wasn’t part of Alejandro Moreno’s plan.

The veteran striker expected to be part of the Philadelphia Union’s future, to help the expansion team grow into an MLS powerhouse.

But Moreno’s time in Philadelphia ended after just one season when he was selected by the Vancouver Whitecaps in the 2010 Expansion Draft and then immediately traded to Chivas USA.

“When I was approached about coming to Philadelphia in the first place, I made a commitment not only with the team but certainly in buying a place in Philadelphia and moving my family,” Moreno told MLSsoccer.com by phone as he began his preseason training with Chivas. “I was fully committed to the organization and I bought fully into what the team was trying to do.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/moreno-vows-give-full-commitment-chivas

5. EPJr

Pearce a valuable asset for transitional Chivas USA group
    [​IMG]
    Fraser praises defender's skills, character after trade completed

CASA GRANDE, Ariz. – The news that Heath Pearce had been traded to Chivas USA surfaced pretty quickly on Tuesday, and Pearce’s new team was busy battling Real Salt Lake in a scrimmage when the final confirmation came down.

But it might be safe to say this has been in Robin Fraser’s plans for quite a while, since long before he became a head coach.

“If by ‘awhile,’ you mean two or three years, probably,” the new Goats boss joked to MLSsoccer.com after Tuesday’s game. “[Pearce is] a player that I didn’t know very well before he came to the league, but once he got into the league and I saw him playing with Dallas, he’s a player I’ve admired a lot from the beginning.”

Coming from one of the best defenders in MLS history during his own playing days, that’s a pretty nice compliment. With his own 10-year MLS career and time with the US national team, Fraser points to Pearce’s experience in Denmark and Germany and with the USMNT as something his young team can make good use of during the transitional period.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/pearce-valuable-asset-transitional-chivas-usa-group

6. EPJr

With Corona, Chivas plan big splash in LA
    [​IMG]
    Club sees partnership as a chance to "relaunch" franchise ideals

To add to the plethora of changes is a new corporate partner: Mexican beer company Corona. On Wednesday night, in an event in the heart of downtown Los Angeles, Chivas USA announced that the Mexican beer giant will be the club’s jersey sponsor.

The multi-year partnership is one that the Rojiblancos hope can create a serious buzz among fans and business executives alike. It is also a deal that could assist Chivas USA in making a serious splash in the Los Angeles area.

“Corona is one of the most recognizable brands worldwide, and to partner with a company that has been proven to do things the right way is just the perfect match,” Chivas USA president and co-owner Antonio Cue told MLSsoccer.com. “This is a great opportunity for the franchise to relaunch a lot of ideals starting with 2011."

"We are re-doing a lot of things on the soccer side with our new coaching staff and new players, and having Corona as our main sponsor shows the tremendous respect that there is for the Chivas brand,” he added.

The Corona emblem will be front-and-center on the team jerseys, and the club is in talks with the company to have a number of promotions between the two entities, including plans for a television spot featuring the club

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/corona-chivas-plan-big-splash-la

7. EPJr

Kick Off: LA's Goats unveil plans to become all-SoCal squad
    [​IMG]
    Ahead of Saturday's SuperClásico, Chivas USA outline blueprint to own LA

Take a good look at today’s version of Chivas USA. Because it will be very different in just a few years.

As they prepare to take on their rivals, the LA Galaxy, in the SuperClásico on Saturday night (10 p.m. ET, ESPN2 and ESPNDeportes), one Chivas USA executive outlines the future vision for the club: “We will play only with South California players. … It will be the real thing — homegrown players through development rather than hiring stars.” Call it the anti-Galaxy approach.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/05/20/kick-las-goats-unveil-plans-become-all-socal-squad

8. agoo

agoo Member

Chivas are trying too hard. I'm intregued by the decision, but they're still trying too hard.

Lots of talent there though.

9. EPJr

Chivas USA in discussions on potential move from HDC
    [​IMG]
    Co-owner Cué confirms talks on new Chivas USA stadium in LA

CARSON, Calif. — Chivas USA have confirmed to MLSsoccer.com that club owners are in active conversations with multiple communities in Los Angeles regarding a potential new home for the Goats, who currently share the Home Depot Center with the LA Galaxy.

“There are a lot of cities asking for us to move and we're evaluating that, but it's going to take some time and right now, we're focusing on playing here this year,” co-owner Antonio Cué told MLSsoccer.com from the HDC. “We will study all the locations and when we are ready to make a move then we'll let everyone know. We're not ready now though because all of [the cities] seem to be pretty good.

“But we're obviously talking to a lot of cities that are all within LA and there is nothing outside of LA County,” he added.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/07/07/chivas-usa-discussions-potential-move-hdc

10. agoo

agoo Member

This would be a good move for them. Anything to make them less like the Clippers.

11. EPJr

CHIVAS USA: Angel says he's coming
    [​IMG]

Juan Pablo Angel says he's moving his stuff around the corner, to Chivas USA's locker room at Home Depot Center, after being forced to leave the Galaxy after Irish forward Robbie Keane was signed.

The Galaxy announced Keane's signing Monday, but Angel officially remains on their roster -- he can stay there until Keane gets his visa, but Major League Soccer clubs are allowed just three Designated Players, and Keane will join Landon Donovan and David Beckham as the Galaxy's trio.

“Not the best scenario, but these are the rules here in the league, and they should be respected ...,” Angel told ESPN Deportes Los Angeles. “After [the decision was] communicated to leave, the opportunity arose to be with Chivas, and I met with the coach [Robin Fraser]. ... I had other options in the MLS, but my family recently moved here, and various other things, I decided it was best to stay here, explore this option as presented and enjoy.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/soccer/post/_/id/10376/chivas-usa-angel-says-hes-coming

[​IMG]
    10/16/2011 @6:00PM PDT
    ESPN and ESPN Deportes

Los Angeles v. Chivas USA
    The Home Depot Center

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  12. EPJr

CHIVAS USA: A most entertaining 'wake'
    By Scott French]

[​IMG]
    CARSON -- “This is a funeral, of course. You guys are at the wake of my career. So I appreciate you guys coming. I hope you're enjoying the food at the back.”

With that, Jimmy Conrad was off and roaring in the most entertaining news conference we've seen at Home Depot Center -- and we've seen plenty.

The Chivas USA defender had plenty to say during his retirement announcement Thursday: http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/soccer/post/_/id/10448/chivas-usa-a-most-entertaining-wake

[​IMG]

On what he'll take from his brief Chivas USA experience: “I think the biggest thing I'll take out of it is knowing the club is in good hands, and for the first time in a long time I have a lot of hope where this sport is going in this country. I think these guys [Fraser and Vanney] get it, they're smart, and I'm glad they're in charge because ... it's time for a new breath of fresh air, and I think these are the guys to do it.

13. EPJr

Goat Notes: Chivas USA eyeing Ochoa through allocation
    [​IMG]
    Fraser admits interest in ex-US U-20 int'l

Chivas USA and their No. 1 spot in the allocation order are on the clock once again.

After passing on Freddy Adu and Benny Feilhaber, the Rojiblancos have the opportunity to select former United States Under-20 international Sammy Ochoa, who signed a contract with MLS on Wednesday. The Riverside, Calif., native has been with Mexican club Estudiantes Tecos since 2006 and has seen sporadic action for the Guadalajara-based club.

Ochoa’s team will be decided by Friday, and after the Chivas' defeat to the Portland Timbers on Wednesday night, head coach Robin Fraser admitted that Ochoa was a person of interest for the Goats.

“We have looked at him in the past,” Fraser told MLSsoccer.com over the phone on Wednesday. “Certainly this happened very fast on the day of the game, so we haven’t spent any time talking about it yet, but he’s a player that we will certainly discuss over the next two days. We really need to look at him and see how he plays. We looked at him in the past, so we just need to re-evaluate.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...es-chivas-usa-eyeing-ochoa-through-allocation

14. EPJr

Chivas keep playoff hopes alive in 3-0 win vs. TFC
    [​IMG]
    JPA has seven goals in five games for CUSA

CARSON, Calif. — Juan Pablo Angel continued his torrid scoring pace, bagging two goals and keeping Chivas USA’s faint playoff hopes alive in a 3-0 victory over Toronto FC at the Home Depot Center Saturday night.

Angel’s brace halted Toronto FC’s two-game winning streak and gives the Colombian five goals in his last three games for a total of six since he joined Chivas USA on August 17th. The victory gives Chivas USA their first win at home since a 3-0 victory on July 23 while Toronto FC finish the season winless in the Pacific Time Zone.

http://www.cdchivasusa.com/news/2011/09/recap-chivas-usa-vs-toronto-fc

15. EPJr

16. EPJr

Bragging rights, Players and coaches talk about the heightened emotions of
    [​IMG]
    The Superclasico

CARSON, Calif. (Tuesday, October 11, 2011) - It’s Superclasico week at The Home Depot Center again and you can feel the excitement building already. It started Monday with a 2-1 victory by Chivas USA in the Reserve League edition of the Superclasico. The buildup continues Saturday evening in the Barra Clasico as the teams’ supporters meet in a friendly game.

17. EPJr

Galaxy Reserves fall to Chivas USA Reserves , 2-1
    [​IMG]

CARSON, Calif. – The LA Galaxy saw their two-game unbeaten streak in the MLS Reserve League snapped with a 2-1 loss to Chivas USA at The Home Depot Center on Monday. Hector Jimenez gave LA a 1-0 first half lead but Chivas USA scored twice in a three minute span early in the second half to claim the victory.

http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2011/10/galaxy-reserves-fall-chivas-usa-2-1

18. EPJr

Ángel unsure of his future at Chivas despite resurgence
    Colombian striker plans to discuss one-year option with ownership

[​IMG]

CARSON, Calif. – Juan Pablo Ángel’s blistering end to the 2011 season showed he has rediscovered his scoring touch. The matter of him discovering his future with Chivas USA is, however, not so straightforward.

Ángel is pleased with his performances for the Goats, as he proved his lethal predatory instincts are still present after enduring a frustrating start to the 2011 season while with the LA Galaxy.

“I have enjoyed my time here [at Chivas],” Ángel said on Saturday following Chivas USA's season-ending loss to Seattle. “It's been rewarding and it was good to finish scoring goals and get back to double figures again. For any striker, it's good to get to that mark so it was good for me to prove to myself that I could still do it.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/10/27/ángel-unsure-his-future-chivas-despite-resurgence

19. EPJr

The LA Blues Scrimmage Against Chivas USA
    [​IMG]
    Give trial players opportunity to impress against MLS opponents

Los Angeles Blues News Release -- www.bluessoccerclub.com

Sunday, November 13, 2011

CARSON, Calif. – The Los Angeles Blues fell 4-1 to MLS club Chivas USA in an offseason scrimmage Friday at the Home Depot Center. With both sides featuring a mix of trialists and players from their respective 2011 rosters, the Goats’ superior fitness manifested itself on the scoreboard, as Head Coach Robin Fraser’s men only finished their campaign three weeks ago while the Blues’ season ended in mid-August.

http://uslpro.uslsoccer.com/home/579284.html

20. EPJr

Goat Notes: Chivas USA optimistic Angel will return
    Re-signing Colombian a top priority; Ecuadorian MF Minda on radar

[​IMG]

Chivas USA appear to be close to retaining veteran Juan Pablo Ángel after making his return one of the club’s priorities of the offseason.

The 36-year-old forward regained his scoring touch with Chivas after making a midseason move from the LA Galaxy last season, scoring seven goals in nine games in the club's possession-oriented system.

Chivas have been one of the more active MLS clubs this offseason, parting ways with young striker Justin Braun while trading for midfielder Ryan Smith and selecting midfielder Arturo Alvarez in the Re-Entry Draft earlier this week. They also shipped midfielder Paulo Nagamura out to Sporting Kansas City.

But keeping tabs on Ángel is crucial to the Goats’ success going forward. The Colombian’s 68 goals are tied for the fifth most all-time in MLS over five consecutive seasons, and he’s one of only two players in league history to score at least 10 goals in five straight seasons.

“Talks are ongoing with Juan,” Chivas USA head coach Robin Fraser confirmed to MLSsoccer.com. “I'm certainly optimistic that we will have him next year, but until it's actually done, there's no guarantee.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/12/07/goat-notes-chivas-usa-optimistic-angel-will-return