Kevin Love Still on the Bench (Why?)

Discussion in 'Minnesota Timberwolves' started by TomBoerwinkle#1, Sep 7, 2010.

1. TomBoerwinkle#1

TomBoerwinkle#1 Administrator Staff Member Administrator

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Kevin-Love-is-still-on-the-bench?urn=nba-267935

In March of 2008, because I could not give a rip about the NCAAs, I watched Kevin Love(notes) play basketball for the first time. Obviously, it was a Saturday afternoon, and I was at someone else's house.

I'd seen him on PtI, tossing in a full-court heaves done in a chest-pass motion and disguised as outlet passes. They were pretty cool. I dug the fact that he was Mike Love's nephew, even though Mike Love is a bit of a prick, and warmed to the idea that there could be an outlet-pass lovin' bro entering a league that is mostly concerned with walking the ball up court.

Of course, I had my doubts. He seemed a little short, and he seemed a little slow. And then I watched him play. And because I'm human, and have a massive ego, that game only reinforced my doubts.

"Can't pull that off in the NBA," I yelled at the TV, as Love worked a few up-fakes and feints on his way toward a lay-in. Actually yelled it. "They say we allow traveling, but that's getting called," I said to my father, after watching Love shuffle his feel before rolling in another lay-up. These were actual out-loud things, that really only a jerk says. An insecure jerk looking to pore over faults both perceived and real, while ignoring what works.

Then the kid gets drafted, by a team with an owner I don't respect all that much. And then the kid is traded to a team with an owner I don't respect all that much. And then I really, really get to see him play, on a level that I understand. Full of prejudice, pretense, and all that jerkitude that was referenced in the preceding paragraphs.

And the guy was awesome. Absolutely brilliant.

Love was, is, a phenomenal player. He seemed to be able to score all over the court, he had a nose for loose balls like few others, and his passing was impeccable. His defense wasn't great, or even good, and yet he still reminded me of the most versatile defender I've ever seen: Dennis Rodman. Not his defense, mind you, but Love's nose for boards, his ability to set improvised screens, his passing and derring-do? Reminded me of Rodman, like no other player I've seen since Dennis flamed out.