USMNT International Friendly v. RSA

Discussion in 'Americas' started by EPJr, Sep 17, 2010.

1. EPJr

EPJr Producer Staff Member Producer

USMNT International Friendlies

Just five months after reaching the round of 16 in the 2010 World Cup held in South Africa, the US National Team will be returning to the country that hosted their thrilling, heart-stopping displays.

Bob Bradley & Co. will play South Africa’s national team on Nov. 17 at Green Point Stadium in Cape Town as part of the Nelson Mandela Challenge Cup. The match will be broadcast live on ESPN2 and Galavisión at a time yet to be determined.

“We are honored to once again be invited to participate in the Nelson Mandela Challenge Cup,” said Bradley in a statement. “The experiences in South Africa the past three years were a critical component of our team preparations for the 2010 FIFA World Cup, and we will use this opportunity as part of the process of building for the next four year cycle.”

Fans will recall Green Point Stadium as the venue that housed Germany's 4-0 bashing of Argentina in the World Cup quarterfinals, and the exciting semifinal match between Netherlands (3) and Uruguay (2).

The match, the US’ 11th on South African soil, will mark the Yanks’ second participation in the Nelson Mandela Challenge. The Americans defeated the Bafana Bafana three years ago with a long-range goal from Steve Cherundolo.
    [​IMG]
    The two sides also met in Washington D.C. on June 3, 2000, with Cobi Jones leading the US’ 4-0 victory with a brace

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/us-take-south-africa-nov-17

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  2. agoo

agoo Member

Not the worst idea, not the best idea. MLS will be in the playoffs, so odds are on that Landon Donovan, possibly, among others will not be available. This also a pretty long trip for the Euro based players for a mid-week friendly. That said, its a winnable match against a respectable side in a terrific atmosphere.

3. Colonel Ronan

Colonel Ronan Continue...?

Control Center analyst
    Why are they called USMNT?

4. agoo

agoo Member

It is what it is.

5. agoo

agoo Member

Who should the US call up for South Africa? While the group called in for the friendlies this month featured much of the core group, Bradley has said that the November friendly in South Africa will prevent him from calling in most of the European based players who are getting regular time and anyone still alive in the MLS playoffs.

So who are the foreign based guys looking to get a call?

GK - Brad Guzan
    DF - Oguchi Onyewu, Eric Lichaj, Jonathan Spector, Edgar Castillo
    MF - DaMarcus Beasley, Ricardo Clark, Sacha Kljestan, Freddy Adu
    FW - Jozy Altidore, Herculez Gomez

The reaches here are probably Adu and Kljestan. Its still not entirely clear if Kljestan would be playing if it wasn't for his ankle injury as he was getting a lot of time in the preseason and performing well in his first couple of meaning full matches. For Adu, who knows if he's even still in the player pool. He is according to the USSF website, but its tough to tell what that actually means.

The rest of the roster will be made up of MLS guys. Here are those potential prospects by club:

Chicago - Sean Johnson (GK), Baggio Husidic (FW)*
    Columbus - Chad Marshall (DF), Eddie Gaven (MF), Robbie Rogers (MF)
    DC United - Chris Pontius (FW), Santino Quaranta (MF)
    Kansas City - Ryan Smith (M/F)*
    New England - Kevin Alston (DF)
    New York - Tim Ream (DF)
    Philadelphia - Sebastien Le Toux (FW)*
    Toronto - Chad Barrett (FW)
    Chivas - Jonathan Bornstein (DF), Sal Zizzo (MF), Justin Braun (FW), Jesus Padilla (FW)*
    Colorado - Jeff Larentowicz (MF), Marvell Wynne (DF), Drew Moor (DF), Conor Casey (FW)
    FC Dallas - Kevin Harman (GK), Dax McCarty (MF), Brek Shea (MF), Zach Lloyd (DF), Heath Pearce (DF)
    Houston - Brad Davis (MF), Geoff Cameron (MF), Bobby Boswell (DF)
    LA Galaxy - OMar Gonzalez (DF), Landon Donovan (MF), Edson Buddle (FW), Tristan Bowen (FW), Sean Franklin (DF)
    Salt Lake - Kyle Beckerman (MF), Robbie Findley (FW)
    San Jose - Bobby Convey (MF), Ike Opara (DF), Brandon McDonald (D/M)
    Seattle - none

The asterisks are for guys who have questionable citizenship. Many of these guys are serious fringe prospects and others won't be available due to MLS playoff commitments. The conference finals are November 11 and 14, so guys from those four clubs are probably not going to get a call. Donovan is also not going to get called as he needs a serious rest and should probably stay off the competitve pitch until MLS 2011 starts.

Here's my starting XI and bench if I'm Bob Bradley. If I was going to predict the final four in MLS, I think you'll see Dallas, LA Galaxy, New York, and Columbus, which removes several guys, replacements in parenthesis.

Starters:
    GK - Brad Guzan
    DR - Eric Lichaj
    DL - Jonathan Bornstein
    DC - Oguchi Onyewu
    DC - Omar Gonzalez (Ike Opara)
    DM - Kyle Beckerman
    DM - Ricardo Clark
    MR - Robbie Rogers (Ryan Smith)
    ML - Brek Shea (Freddy Adu)
    MC - Sacha Kljestan
    FW - Jozy Altidore

Bench:
    GK - Kevin Hartman
    DF - Jonathan Spector
    DF - Heath Pearce (Edgar Castillo)
    DF - Tim Ream (Drew Moor)
    MF - Dax McCarty (Geoff Cameron)
    MF - Jeff Larentowicz
    MF - Bobby Convey
    MF - Brad Davis
    FW - Justin Braun

Ryan Smith would be a very interesting call up. He is an Arsenal youth product who is eligible as his father is from Jersey. Smith made six cup appearances with Arsenal, starting at age 16 and represented England once at the U-20 level. His England dream is probably long past him, but I don't know if he'd be looking to play for the US.

6. agoo

agoo Member

South Africa's roster is out:

GOALKEEPERS - Itumeleng Khune (Kaizer Chiefs), Moeneeb Josephs (Orlando Pirates)

DEFENDERS - Morgan Gould (Supersport United), Siboniso Gaxa (Lierse), Tsepo Masilela (Maccabi Haifa), Siyabonga Sangweni (Lamontville Golden Arrows), Anele Ngcongca (Racing Genk), Bevan Fransman (Hapoel Tel Aviv), Siyanda Xulu (Mamelodi Sundowns), Keegan Ritchie (Moroka Swallows)

MIDFIEDLERS - Teko Modise (Orlando Pirates), Andile Jali (Orlando Pirates), Siphiwe Tshabalala (Kaizer Chiefs), Reneilwe Letsholonyane (Kaizer Chiefs), Steven Pienaar (Everton), Thanduyise Khuboni (Lamontville Golden Arrows), Daylon Claasen (Lierse), Matthew Pattison (Mamelodi Sundowns), Kagisho Dikgacoi (Fulham)

FORWARDS - Sthembiso Ngcobo (Kaizer Chiefs), Kermit Erasmus (Supersport United), Davide Somma (Leeds United), Bernard Parker (FC Twente)

The US roster is rumored to be released by Friday. Early rumors put a focus on a very young squad for Bob Bradley. The last time the US played in the Mandela Cup, Altidore got his first cap at age 17 and Freddy Adu picked up his first time. This time around, rumors include Mikkel Diskerud, Juan Agudelo, and Gale Agbossomounde. While I don't expect to see the regulars who are getting time in Europe or still have been going in MLS playing, I would be surprised to see Agudelo and the Boss getting called in.

7. agoo

agoo Member

And here's the US roster:

GK-Brad Guzan, Dom Cervi

D- Clarence Goodson, Jonathan Spector, Jonathan Bornstein, Eric Lichaj, Nat Borchers, Tim Ream, Gale Agbossoumonde

M-Alejandro Bedoya, Eddie Gaven, Brian Carroll Logan Pause, Robbie Rogers, Mikkel Diskerud

F-Robbie Findley, Juan Agudelo, Teal Bunbury

Teal Bunbury is a big f*ck you to America's hat as he joins the ranks of Owen Hargreaves and Jonathan DeGuzman as Canadians who opted for better nations. I'll provide more thoughts when I'm not at work with stuff to do. I'll summarize briefly. I'm excited. More later.

8. EPJr

Rookies Agudelo, Bunbury and Ream get US calls
    [​IMG]
    Trio among nine MLSers to travel to South Africa for friendly

With most of his first-teamers busy with European club duty or Major League Soccer playoffs, Bob Bradley was expected to call a young group of players to compete against South Africa in a friendly on Nov. 17 in Cape Town (2 p.m. ET, ESPN2/Galavision)

Bradley, known for his unpredictable selections, surprised again, calling an even less experienced collection than anticipated.

Six players, including New York Red Bulls' Tim Ream and Juan Agudelo and Kansas City Wizards Teal Bunbury, will have a chance to earn their first cap.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/rookies-agudelo-bunbury-and-ream-get-us-calls

9. agoo

agoo Member

[​IMG]

Meet Teal Bunbury (Photo from The Offside Rules). He's one of six guys going for his first cap in South Africa as Bob Bradley has called in the least experienced group he has probably ever called in (I'm not doing the research, but this is probably less experience than his January camps).

The roster divides up nicely in thirds:
    Possible first caps (6) - Bunbury, Agudelo, Diskerud, Agbossomounde, Ream, Cervi
    Single Digit Caps (6) - Borchers (2), Lichaj (1), Bedoya (5), Carrol (7), Gaven (7), Pause (5)
    The vets (6) - Findley (10), Rogers (12), Goodson (16), Guzan (18), Spector (27), Bornstein (35)

That's 145 total caps for those of you counting at home.

Personally, I'm very excited to see this group get together. I'll go by position:

At keeper, Guzan is clearly the second choice going through 2014 qualifying now that Hahnemann is 38. His lack of minutes at Villa is concerning as he's not even playing in Cup matches at this point with the ageless wonder Brad Friedel starting ahead of him. While its great that he's learning from one of the best to ever wear the US number 1 shirt, he needs some minutes. Hopefully this could be a springboard into a loan for him. Cervi is another who hasn't seen a whole lot of time since going pro, but he will be in an open competition for the third keeper slot in 2014.

The defense is very exciting, but could also be disastrous against a more experienced South Africa side. Goodson will be key to stabilize the area infront of Guzan, while being paired with Ream or Agbossomounde. Ream was just about ever present for the Red Bulls this year and is very smooth on the ball and comfortable passing out of the back. He, like Goodson, lacks in quickness. Agbossomounde is a massive central defender who has looked pretty mobile and comfortable on the ball at the youth levels. The Boss is a bit shorter than Onyewu, but will have a similar build on a 6'2" frame when he's done maturing. Spector could see time centrally or at his familiar right back, where fans are hoping that he'll regain the confidence and form that saw him as a possible heir to Cherundolo. Its more likely that Bornstein and Lichaj will be starting on the left and right respectively.

In midfield, Bedoya and Diskerud could be auditioning for a playmaker role in Bradley's new 4-5-1. Diskerud will likely be the one pulling the strings in midfield after a strong season in Norway. The Sweden based Bedoya will probably start on the left, with Rogers on the right. Gaven will serve as backup, but could see time at a familiar spot, opposite Rogers. Pause and Carroll will need to provide some steady defense early on while the defensive pairing feel each other out. Carroll is coming off another strong year in Columbus and should see the start.

The forwards are an intriguing group. Findley can outrun just about anyone, but has struggled to find his finishing ability (and various other skills) with the United States. Bunbury is the son of Alex Bunbury who is third all-time in goals for Canada. Bunbury is a 6'2" MLS rookie with a cannon for a right leg. I didn't get to see much of him, but after watching his highlights, his movement off the ball should create chances for him and whoever is partnering him up top. Agudelo has had a bit of a meteoric rise over the last few weeks where he went from prospect to starting in place of the injured Thierry Henry in the playoff series with San Jose. In the second leg, if the Red Bulls did something positive, it was Agudelo who was making it happen and not Angel. Agudelo will be a bit younger than Altidore was when he made his debut in the Mandela Cup match in 2006.

Here's what I'd like to see for starting XI:
    GK - Guzan
    DR - Lichaj
    DL - Bornstein
    DC - Goodson
    DC - Agbossomounde
    MR - Rogers
    ML - Bedoya
    MC - Diskerud
    MC - Carroll
    ST - Bunbury
    ST - Agudelo

I think Findley will pair with Bunbury to start, but I'd love to see the two rookies make their debuts. Ream will split time with Agbossomounde, while Spector will probably enter for Bornstein with Lichaj moving to the left.

10. agoo

agoo Member

Davide Somma vows to destroy the United States.

If you said "...Who?" You're like most folks reading that headline. To summarize the life story, Somma was born in South Africa to Italian parents, who moved to the States when Davide was 12. Somma left the States in 2004 (at age 19) for a Spanish academy before landing with Perugia. He returned to the States with San Jose, where he was teammates with Darren Huckerby. And by teammates, I mean they were together about long enough for Huckerby to tell Somma to try England before Somma was cut. He landed with Huckerby's former side, Leeds. He was loaned out and scored 9 times in 14 appearances last season on loan with Lincoln City and has 6 goals in 14 appearances with Leeds.

Somma feels slighted by Bob Bradley and the United States as he never received a call or even a statement of interest from the country of his teenage years.

Just one problem...Somma isn't even eligible for the United States.

And, in my opinion, he wouldn't be worth a call even if he was as he wouldn't even be the best American prospect at Leeds with Mike Grella there.

11. agoo

agoo Member

USA Starting XI:

------------------------Findley---------------------------

Rogers--------------Bedoya--------------------Gaven

-----------------Pause--------Carroll-------------------

Bornstein-----Ream--------Goodson----------Lichaj

------------------------Guzan------------------------------

Some disappointment to see a lack of Bunbury and Agudelo to start. Rogers and Gaven will work well on the wings as they have been playing together for a few years now with Columbus and have been very successful there. Bedoya will be trying to pull the strings behind Findley, but I think we'll see him getting forward with some frequency. I'm hoping that Agbossomounde, Bunbury, and Agudelo make their debuts at the start of the second half, but that is yet to be seen.

12. agoo

agoo Member

I was stuck at work, so I haven't watched it...will be shortly. Agudelo scored the winner in a 1-0 match, making him the youngest ever goal scorer for the United States as he'll be turning 18 on Tuesday. Diskerud with the assist. From the SoccerByIves summary, it appears that Findley was horrific and things started going much better for the US once he was out. Lichaj neutralized Tshabalala on the right and the Diskerud/Bunbury/Agudelo trio were pretty solid. Agbossomounde made his debut late, but Ream was very solid in defense and had some strong passing out of the back. There was a slip-up or two for Ream though.

I'll be watching soon to provide my own commentary.

13. EPJr

[​IMG]
    17 year old Juan Agudelo of the New York Red Bulls scores

USA 1:0 South Africa

14. EPJr

USA to host Paraguay, Argentina in March
    [​IMG]
    Bob Bradley's team will play matches in New Jersey, Tennessee

he United States national team will face stiff competition as it prepares for the 2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup during the FIFA international fixture window in March. The Stars-and-Stripes will play Argentina on March 26 at the New Meadowlands Stadium, followed three days later by a match against Paraguay in Nashville, Tennessee.

"Argentina continues to be one of the most talented teams in the world, and we are excited to have the opportunity to compete against them," US head coach Bob Bradley said in a statement. "When you talk about the best players around the globe, the Argentines certainly contribute a lot of names to that list.

"Paraguay showed during the World Cup that they are a creative and organized team capable of being very dangerous in the attack. Both of these matches give us a chance to continue to raise the bar for our team, and it will also be a great part of our preparation for the Gold Cup."

The American manager will call his first team for the pair of matches, although the squad will feature a few different faces compared to the roster for the 2010 World Cup.

Bradley was at the helm the last time the US battled Argentina in 2008. The match was also held in East Rutherford, N.J. and ended in a scoreless tie, the first in the all-time series that favors the South American side (6-2-1). The two-time World Cup champions are currenty ranked fifth in the world.

The Americans last played Paraguay -- ranked 24th -- during the 2007 Copa America. Benny Feilhaber, Jonathan Bornstein and Sacha Kljestan started in the 3-1 defeat.

The US plays another South American side -- Marcelo Bielsa's Chile -- on Jan. 22 and travels to Cairo to take on Egypt on Feb. 9.

Noah Davis covers the United States national team for MLSsoccer.com. Follow him on Twitter at @noahedavis.

15. EPJr

Preview: Young US side faces Chile at HDC
    While defenders vie for spots, McCarty also one to watch
    [​IMG]

The Basics
    United States vs. Chile in an international friendly on Saturday at the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif.

TV
    TeleFutura and ESPN3.com (10 pm ET)

Overview
    The United States national team begins the 2011 campaign with a match against Chile, but both the Stars and Stripes and their South American counterparts will feature squads lacking in first-team talent. Only forward Esteban Paredes joined coach Marcelo Bielsa at the World Cup, while Bob Bradley one-upped his fellow coach by not calling a single member of the 23-man roster that traveled to South Africa. This is a match about both countries' youth movements.

As a result, the result doesn't really matter. Both managers would enjoy a victory, but the focus is on individual performances. Bradley wants to see how his inexperienced squad rises to the occasion after a 17-day training camp.

"This whole camp starts with trying to build things on a foundation of certain ideas," Bradley said Thursday. "That foundation is still getting [the players] to understand a little bit more what happens technically, tactically when the games get faster. So a lot of the general stuff that happens during training helps that and then as we get closer we try to create some situations in training where it's tighter, it's faster and they start to understand what the game might be like."

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/preview-young-us-side-faces-chile-hdc