Canucks fall to the Flames 3-2 in Calgary

Discussion in 'WEST: Pacific Division' started by truebluefan, Sep 22, 2010.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

"There's the Aesop story about the fox and the stork, and then there's The Stork, who added to his own story on Tuesday night at the Saddledome.

Eddie Lack stopped 16 of 17 shots over two periods, including stuffing Jarome Iginla a couple of times and making six saves on a Flames power play early in the opening period.

That's a .940 save percentage and a 1.50 goals-against average, made all the more remarkable because while the 6-foot-5 goalie looked solid at prospects camp in Penticton, that was against mostly junior players; last night he was stopping the likes of Olli Jokinen and Jay Bouwmeester in a 3-2 split-squad Flames win.

Only Mikael Backlund beat Lack, redirecting a 2-on-1 pass from Alex Tanguay after Adam Polasek got caught up ice on a Canucks power play.

"It was a Swedish guy who scored on me, too, so that was pretty bad," Lack said. "We played on the national team together and I'm probably going to hear it from him."

The only mistake you could accuse Lack of was playing the puck outside the trapazoid with six seconds left in the second and the Canucks enjoying a power play.

"Arhhh, yes, I knew about [the rule], but I'm not really familiar with it yet," said Lack. "It was a pretty bad call from my side, but it's going to get better and better."

Up front, the Canucks got a fine outing from Joel Perrault, Jannik Hansen and Jeff Tambellini, who not only shut down Calgary's top line but dominated them.

They also opened scoring, Tambellini dropping a pass against the grain to Hansen at the side of the net and the Dane beat a cheating Miikka Kiprusoff short-side to make it 1-0.

"I think everybody thought it would be a blowout," Perrault said. "I was a great chance for all of us."

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/h...anucks fall Flames Calgary/3559158/story.html