New Noah Extension Stuff... Will Jo Show tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by MikeDC, Sep 26, 2010.

1. MikeDC

MikeDC Member

Professor
    OK, this is Poopsworld, so I'm not buying too much into it, but it's provocative:

Points to talk about
    1. Does it matter to me that Noah's not showing up when he's encouraged to, but when he's required to? Does it matter to the Bulls? Doesn't matter to me, I hope the Bulls don't get drawn into a needless argument over this. Don't think they will.

2. Will Noah be there and ready to roll Monday? Not showing up then would actually be a statement of unhappiness. Leaving Thursday and getting back in time for work Monday morning is a lot of flying.

3. What's a price we'll be happy with for Noah. I wrote the other day that I'm a little worried we won't be happy with him at whatever price we get him at.

Beyond that, if the Bulls are at 5/$57M and Noah is asking for 5/$70M or willing to "settle" for 5/$65M, is that a decent place to settle?

2. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    A little reminiscent about Tyson Chandler's situation. He stayed home in California and got married and some esophageal problem while sitting around waiting for the chairman to show up with a suitable contract.

3. bullshooter

bullshooter Active Member

The bulls offer is a lot more reasonable than I thought it would be. I don't see any reason to go higher. The league is littered with big men on their 4th team who have more value as expiring contracts than based on their performance. Chandler is a great example. $65 mil is a lot closer to the max than Noah warrants.

4. TomBoerwinkle#1

TomBoerwinkle#1 Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I honestly don't think it has too much to do with the politics of contract extension/money so much as it has to do with Noah being a Rodman/Bison Dele (a young Phil Jackson or Bill Walton, even?) type free spirit who, given the option of "encouraged to" will do what he wants. I'm comfortable enough with him as a talent that while I generally am more supportive of guys who give 10000% to the team, I'm cool with him opting out of optional reporting up to the point that it is optional and not subordination -- which this wouldn't be.

Optional is optional. Its more optional for a borderline all-star than it is for a scrub trying to make the club. Noah is the former.

The cool thing (from Noah's perspective) is he can do what he wants. He has the talent and the size and the skills to be a valuable NBA commodity but his family circumstances are such that he's filthy rich already. He can retire to the south of France tomorrow and spend the rest of his life gazing at his navel. He is truly one of those people who plays for the love of the game -- because he doesn't need to do it for the money (not that I think money isn't an issue. I'm certain he'll negotiate hard and the fact that he doesn't NEED the money is a big, big chip in his corner).

But I wouldn't read too much into the optional reporting/contract extension storyline.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  5. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Whats wrong with spending time with his family before training camp starts?

Now if he doesn't show up, then I will be concerned.

Everything I have read about him all summer and early fall tells me he has worked hard to get ready to play for the Bulls.

6. MikeDC

MikeDC Member

Professor
    I expect he shows up. I'm more interested in what a reasonable price is for him.