Allen Iverson or Clyde Drexler

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by SunnyD, Sep 23, 2006.

1. SunnyD

SunnyD Sexiest Poster Alive (Yessir)

Two MVP-Caliber players, who had/will have the better career?

2. Michael Bryant

Michael Bryant BBW Elite Member

To me, it's Glyde. Besides, his dunk against the Lakers way back in the 80's(I forgot what year now) was BADASS.

3. Illosophee

Illosophee BBW Elite Member

Allen Iverson is one of the most underrated players in the NBA. He puts up 30 and 7 a night, but is still seen as a ballhog/horrible player! A.I may not be considered better than Clyde the Glyde, but I know for a fact that he should be; people don't give the Answer much of a chance. They criticize him for everything. That's just wrong.

4. Something-To-Say

Something-To-Say BBW Banned

Shouldn't this be in Player Comparisons? A mod making a mistake? O.OI say Iverson. IF not for the simple fact that every player that's won an MVP went to the HOF, it's also because he revolutionized basketball. Crossover, tatoos, cornrows, the guy was an icon. Philly basketball revived. And now, into his 30s, he's still throwing his body everywhere playing great and scoring. Oh, not to mention a Finals record for steals in one game.

5. BigMo763

BigMo763 Active Member

I'm going with Iverson as well. Look, I love Clyde Drexler, and he was definitely a great player, but the things that Allen Iverson has done at his size in this league is just flat out amazing. He is 5'10" (the media guide lists him at 6'0", and that is being generous), 165 pounds soaking wet, and he is one of the most durable and tough (both physically and mentally) that I've ever seen in this league. The fact that he's done this for 10 years at his size and with the amount of punishment he takes makes it even more amazing.Then you take a look at everything Iverson has done for the NBA and the sport off the floor, and that just gives him the edge over Clyde in my mind. Hell, they changed the rules of the game to try to stop this guy (and Shaq as well), but it hasn't worked... he revolutionized the game (as S2S) mentioned. Kids used to want to dunk before... but when he came in the league, everybody started practicing crossovers, etc. He did things his way without caring what other people thought of him. He made it socially acceptable to wear cornrows, where beforehand cornrows were mostly sported by prisoners/inmates.I seriously agree with Illosophee here... the guy is underrated by many people (not all, but by a lot), not only in terms of his basketball ability, desire and will to win, but he is underrated as a person. Listen to the man speak, and you can tell where he is coming from. He's just real... he doesn't care about being "politically correct" and crap, he just tells it like it is. I remember watching his interview with Stephen A on Quite Frankly (which I still have, by the way), and I just gained so much more respect for him just from watching that. He is a deep person... and when he talks, you just can't help but listen.

6. Michael Bryant

Iverson didn't revolutionize sh*t. I do love him though. He's great, and gets a bad rap for no other reason than his image. He's like "Tiny" Archibald...kinda. Anyway, I just like Glyde, I always have. So if I had to choose between the two, I'd pick Drexler, because I like him more.

7. Something-To-Say

Something-To-Say BBW Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Michael Bryant @ Sep 26 2006, 11:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Iverson didn't revolutionize sh*t. I do love him though. He's great, and gets a bad rap for no other reason than his image. He's like "Tiny" Archibald...kinda. Anyway, I just like Glyde, I always have. So if I had to choose between the two, I'd pick Drexler, because I like him more.</div>OK name me players before Iverson that:Used the crossover like he doesWore cornrowsHad tons of tattoosWore bands and stuffNobody really. Iverson popularized "ganster" stuff. He changed the image of the NBA, which is now changing away from that.

8. SunnyD

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Something-To-Say @ Sep 26 2006, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Shouldn't this be in Player Comparisons? A mod making a mistake? O.OI say Iverson. IF not for the simple fact that every player that's won an MVP went to the HOF, it's also because he revolutionized basketball. Crossover, tatoos, cornrows, the guy was an icon. Philly basketball revived. And now, into his 30s, he's still throwing his body everywhere playing great and scoring. Oh, not to mention a Finals record for steals in one game.</div>Nobody posts in Player Comparisons. I've posted like 5 topics with no responses.

9. Michael Bryant

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Something-To-Say @ Sep 26 2006, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>OK name me players before Iverson that:Used the crossover like he doesWore cornrowsHad tons of tattoosWore bands and stuffNobody really. Iverson popularized "ganster" stuff. He changed the image of the NBA, which is now changing away from that.</div>Elgin Baylor was crossing up guys as early as 1959.As for the rest, I couldn't give a flying F*ck because it has nothing to do with playing ball.

10. Memphology

Memphology BBW VIP

I would have to pick AI, both players were smooth as anything, but AI is underrated for what he does. Your talking about a player who runs the offense as much as Nash does for Phoenix. 3Oppg and 8apg? And not to mention his assist on a bad team. Both are HOFers, but AI is just the better player, and I think the smarter player on the court.

11. BigMo763

BigMo763 Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Michael Bryant @ Sep 26 2006, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Elgin Baylor was crossing up guys as early as 1959.As for the rest, I couldn't give a flying F*ck because it has nothing to do with playing ball.</div>Actually, it does... he brought the game to a whole different market, and without him the league wouldn't have been able to appeal to the rap/hip-hop crowd and would not have been able to tap into that huge market. He made the league a lot of money... same with everybody else nowadays. Hell, Iverson was a huge reason as to why the NBA remained a global enterprise prior to the emergence of international superstars like Dirk and Yao.

12. SunnyD

It's like this: Who's the face of the NBA? Allen Iverson or Shawn Bradley? Iverson brings the Hip Hop style to the NBA, and lets just say that Bradley does not.Of course, AI and Bradley are not even near the same level of talent. Bradley isn't even playing anymore.

13. BigMo763

BigMo763 Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SunnyD @ Sep 26 2006, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>It's like this: Who's the face of the NBA? Allen Iverson or Shawn Bradley? Iverson brings the Hip Hop style to the NBA, and lets just say that Bradley does not.Of course, AI and Bradley are not even near the same level of talent. Bradley isn't even playing anymore.</div>Never, ever, ever put Shawn Bradley in the same breath as any great player in the history of the game, unless it involves Bradley getting posterized, because that was all he was good for... those damn posters.

14. Michael Bryant

The Hip Hop crowd was into NBA ball long before Iverson came in, since at least the early 80's(especially college ball, Georgetown Hoyas anyone?). Granted, it's a more profound following today but, Iverson didn't create that following.

15. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Michael Bryant @ Sep 26 2006, 11:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Granted, it's a more profound following today but, Iverson didn't create that following.</div>He revolutionized it. He created a whole new era of basketball. His crossover is what this generation tried to mold theirs of off, not Elgin Baylor's. His image as a very undersized, thug-looking baller with more toughness and heart than just about anyone seen before him will be remembered just as much as his MVP trophy, carrying his team to the Finals, scoring titles, seasons of 30/7, leading league in steals....and of course the MJ crossover. He is so much more than a player, he is an icon to Philly and to the whole basketball community.But let's just talk about the actual players....they play different positions and are very different. AI is the better scorer. Clyde has never had a season of over 27PPG, while AI has had 5 seasons of over the best scoring season Clyde ever had. AI is better passer/playmaker, especially in past 2 seasons where he has played PG. Neither were top notch defender, but AI has had 9 straight seasons of over 2SPG (this past year he was .6 away from 10 straight seasons). Clyde gets nod for rebounding, but that is to be expected considering his huge size advantage. Now look at the accomplishments, from his MVP trophy, to 7 ASG starting lineup appearences that go along with 2 ASG MVP's, brought team single handedly to Finals, scoring titles, league leader in steals many seasons, among other accomplishments that Clyde never had. ----------------------------------------Bottom line is AI can be argued as one of the best in his era, and argued as best little man of all time. You can't say same for Clyde, who was not top 5 in his era, 'nor can he be argued as one of best SG/SF of all time. AI is far more influential, has more accomplishments, and statistically has had a better career overall.

16. Michael Bryant

I also think he's better than Glyde, but I like Glyde more. And yeah AI's an Icon, but anyone who remembers basketball in the early 80's knows he didn't start the Hip Hop following.

17. Illosophee

Illosophee BBW Elite Member

Iverson started the whole hip hop trend for basketball. Don't believe me? Read Slam magazine. A.I made the hip hop for basketball trend popular.What does that have to do with this thread?I dunno... Just giving the Answer some answers for many questions...That doesn't make sense. STFU! Stop reading my post already, bi*ch!

18. Clangus

Clangus BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Something-To-Say @ Sep 27 2006, 04:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>OK name me players before Iverson that:Used the crossover like he doesWore cornrowsHad tons of tattoosWore bands and stuffNobody really. Iverson popularized "ganster" stuff. He changed the image of the NBA, which is now changing away from that.</div> crossover - Tim HardawayTattoos -- Denis RodmanMj wore an armband his entire career [​IMG] So As much as I love him he has only revaloutionized cornrows. [​IMG] . Well actually I dont agree with that but S2S didn't argue a very good point.Allen Iverson is most definitely a poineer in regaurds to style. -He did make it almost acceptable to have tats and unusual hair. Now Denis Rodman did that first but he never was accepted like AI and certainly there were no copycats of him. His crossovers - they are a thing of beauty. Timmy Hardaway had the killer crossover but Iversons is on another planet to that. He braeks everybodys ankles- I suspect if he guarded himself he would break himself down too. He did make it more fasionable to have mad ball skills over dunking.Iverson has taken his team to the finals with little help (no dikembe doesn't count) Drexler got 2 chips but he had Hakeem. So really Hakeem got them for him to a degree.That all being said I love clide but AI is a better player and has has a better career. One thing not mentioned, AI being moved to the 2- is that the first time a (very) small man and point guard has been moved with such success? I think so. That is revolutioniairy!

19. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 BBW Elite Member

clangus- AI outlawed the crossover, he brought the street to the NBA, something Hardaway didn't. The NBA even started to officiate games differently with the palming rules. As for the armband, he is referring to the sleeve, not just armband.And AI was moved to PG from the SG spot, not vice versa. That is why his APG has gone up quite a bit in past 2 years.

20. Clangus

Clangus BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nitro1118 @ Oct 4 2006, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>clangus- AI outlawed the crossover, he brought the street to the NBA, something Hardaway didn't. The NBA even started to officiate games differently with the palming rules. As for the armband, he is referring to the sleeve, not just armband.And AI was moved to PG from the SG spot, not vice versa. That is why his APG has gone up quite a bit in past 2 years.</div>He played PG in his first season- [​IMG] Did you read my entire post? [​IMG]