Redskins release WR Devin Thomas

Discussion in 'NFC East' started by truebluefan, Oct 9, 2010.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

"The Redskins have released Devin Thomas, the third-year receiver who came to Washington with lofty expectations and leaves without having had a single reception in 2010.

Thomas, who started 10 games under Jim Zorn in 2009, has been buried on the depth chart under Mike Shanahan but had been serving as the team's top kick returner. He lined up as a receiver just once in the first four games of 2010.

The Redskins had been trying to trade Thomas but unable to work out a deal, they've instead released him. Running back Keiland Williams will take Thomas's place on the 53-man roster and is expected to play on Sunday, according to a league source.

"Whether it's here or somewhere else, I'm going to keep pushing to be a main contributor and play," Thomas said last week. "I'm going to keep doing what I got to do, because I know I can play this game."

Thomas tried to maintain a positive attitude this season, despite his lack of playing time. But the frustration grew as it became increasingly clear that Shanahan didn't see a place in the Redskins' offense for the Michigan State product."

Read more: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/devin-thomas/redskins-release-wr-devin-thom.html